Quantcast

$$% Turds Dork %$$

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Tip toeing the thin line before rage throwing stuff away. My in-laws have so much stuff. So much. Like, 8 or 9 sets of plates. 5 sets of cookware. Must be a good 30 some odd chairs in this house. All of which are "antiques". Being old doesnt make something an antique, nor does it automatically mean its worth something, nor does it guarantee that someone actually wants to buy it.

I dont know how people live with piles of stuff that you have to dodge in every room. Its ridiculous.
SMASH IT NAO

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tip toeing the thin line before rage throwing stuff away. My in-laws have so much stuff. So much. Like, 8 or 9 sets of plates. 5 sets of cookware. Must be a good 30 some odd chairs in this house. All of which are "antiques". Being old doesnt make something an antique, nor does it automatically mean its worth something, nor does it guarantee that someone actually wants to buy it.

I dont know how people live with piles of stuff that you have to dodge in every room. Its ridiculous.
throw stuff away one thing at a time

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

MIL is "trying" to move here. She has spent the last 3 months working through her house and according to Wifey, you can't tell. Everything is an antique to her. I told her to get all of her antiques together and have an antiques dealer come give her an offer, but she refuses to. I think deep down she knows that it's all shit and she just doesn't want to hear it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

At least they dont have 40000 water bottles hanging around...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
MIL is "trying" to move here. She has spent the last 3 months working through her house and according to Wifey, you can't tell. Everything is an antique to her. I told her to get all of her antiques together and have an antiques dealer come give her an offer, but she refuses to. I think deep down she knows that it's all shit and she just doesn't want to hear it.
it's a boomer thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
where does she live again?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
tell her if she doesn't try to sell some of the "antiques" now, then they'll inevitably get burned in a forest fire and be worth nothing
Oh, I wish that place would burn down. Once she's out we're looking at $25-35k to renovate it for a rental, because of how bad the condition is...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
wow
what condition is it in?
It's a 30 year old 2br condo with a hoarder. Bathroom will be a rip-out replacement because of visible rot and mold. We're turning it into a rental, so we're doing an Ikea kitchen and cheap HD bath. Carpet is original, so rip-out. Linoleum is original, so rip-out. Paint needs a Kilz layer (at least) then a re-paint. Potential for popcorn removal because of the built up dust (and please no asbestos).

It's fucking bad. I won't go into it without a mask right now. If I end up helping her move, I'll be getting a respirator mask and lots of filters. The girls aren't even allowed in her house.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
It's a 30 year old 2br condo with a hoarder. Bathroom will be a rip-out replacement because of visible rot and mold. We're turning it into a rental, so we're doing an Ikea kitchen and cheap HD bath. Carpet is original, so rip-out. Linoleum is original, so rip-out. Paint needs a Kilz layer (at least) then a re-paint. Potential for popcorn removal because of the built up dust (and please no asbestos).

It's fucking bad. I won't go into it without a mask right now. If I end up helping her move, I'll be getting a respirator mask and lots of filters. The girls aren't even allowed in her house.
:fie:
watchout for the asbestos in the tile as well

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Pick one?
You can be totally cognizant for 99.9% of aspects but have a singular mental disorder. In her case, she understands every other aspect including finances, etc. She just can't let go because of an abnormal fear of loss.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm currently hanging out in the teacher's lounge at your kid's school. It's definitely a school... meh.
My kids' school is more like a prison from the inside. Which reminds me a lot of my own high school.

NTTAWWT.

Another 3 peaches down... 9 so far today. I only have about 20 left. :(

When we redid our kitchen we had to have the linoleum tested in our house, which was built in 1987. What I was told was that a lot of "building material" had asbestos in it well into the 90's.
WTF? Are we, as a nation, completely retarded?

You know, on second thought... don't answer that. :disgust1:

<snip> She just can't let go because of an abnormal fear of loss.
Have you suggested weed to her?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You can be totally cognizant for 99.9% of aspects but have a singular mental disorder. In her case, she understands every other aspect including finances, etc. She just can't let go because of an abnormal fear of loss.
Still dont understand the fear of loss, when you are effectively losing your family by not addressing your issues.

Then again I dont have said compulsions, so I guess it would be hard for me to understand in the first place.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Still dont understand the fear of loss, when you are effectively losing your family by not addressing your issues.

Then again I dont have said compulsions, so I guess it would be hard for me to understand in the first place.
Do yourself a favor and spend about 90 minutes watching a few reruns of the show "Hoarders" - it'll give you a glimpse of how awful that mental disorder can be. :panic:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Do yourself a favor and spend about 90 minutes watching a few reruns of the show "Hoarders" - it'll give you a glimpse of how awful that mental disorder can be. :panic:
I've watched enough to know that those people are very, very sick in the head. Ive gotta imagine the relapse rate is almost 100%. Its like you cant clear out any space otherwise they see that as a new place for shit to go.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The moving costs might give her some clarity on the value.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Boomers were raised by people who lived through the great depression.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Boomers were raised by people who lived through the great depression.
So it's a learned behavior? Cause almost every single MilleniasI know, all of which have Boomer parents, are pretty minimalist as a direct result of spending their childhoods buried under their parents crap.