Quantcast

@"@/ turdsday gfmt\@"@

Yawn, got a solid night's sleep. Coffee consumed.

Need to do a bunch of laundry and a whole bunch of bike cleaning and maintenance. Something about alkaline dust, mud, and cow shit. I suspect that it may be new chain time.

Lawn to mow and all that ordinary stuff.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Nothing like planning on going out for a hard ride after work and realising that all you have are stanky unwashed riding shorts. I love doing laundry at 5am before coffee...well maybe love is the completely wrong word

And my coffee is attempting to dissolve the mug...things are looking up this morning:busted:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! A solid day of work and another light spin is all I have cooking today. Although, like Eric, my dirty bikey gear is piling up and isn't going to wash itself.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Gonna pack stuff up tonight, methinks we are headed to Steamboat Springs for the Labor Day weekend. What we are going to do, I have no idea, but it will certainly be better than sitting at home.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Got an almost good nights sleep. I feel normal again. It's a nice day, and I'm going riding tonight on the new trail. Adding a new person to the riding roster, we'll see how that pans out, but I get the sense he'll be faster than me, so that's ok I guess.

We're also planning on heading out to one of our hills that's spinning the lifts this weekend, so that's another bonus. Not full-on DH, but it'll be nice to session the trails a few times instead of grinding up the mountain for 50 minutes...

It's almost like I have a new bestie!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mornin!

Gonna pack stuff up tonight, methinks we are headed to Steamboat Springs for the Labor Day weekend. What we are going to do, I have no idea, but it will certainly be better than sitting at home.
You may change your tune when you're sitting in traffic. :D

Although sitting in traffic in the mountains may, arguably, be better than sitting at home.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You may change your tune when you're sitting in traffic. :D

Although sitting in traffic in the mountains may, arguably, be better than sitting at home.
I think we'll skip 70 on the way back and just go up and over Trail Ridge Road for funsies. Should eliminate the pain of sitting in traffic getting home.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yawn, got a solid night's sleep. Coffee consumed.

Need to do a bunch of laundry and a whole bunch of bike cleaning and maintenance. Something about alkaline dust, mud, and cow shit. I suspect that it may be new chain time.

Lawn to mow and all that ordinary stuff.
:stupid:

Maybe I'll just go back to bed instead.

Pretty happy about still being alive. This is what the structure underneath the bike rack looked like on the motorcycle when I took it all apart yesterday afternoon. I'll be sending these to both BMW and the bike rack guy. I'm pretty sure I know how BMW will respond. :rolleyes:

Maah daah hey picture dump later.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So this happened on my daily bike route this morning. That's two people killed by trucks this summer at intersections I cross every day. It's been a bad week for cyclists in my town: two dead, and two others taken to hospital unconscious. I think I read about two motorcyclists dead this week too. People need to chill the fuck out.

it's back to school, the entire downtown is a construction zone (no joke, the whole downtown is dug up for a new subway being put in, and to prep for Canada's 150 anniversary celebrations next year...) be patient, and remember that your vehicle can kill people. it's not a game... these are real people with real lives.

I was actually hit by a full size van (contractor) in that very intersection about 4 years ago. I was coming down a hill gunning it to make the green light. A car was pulled over waiting at the intersection to turn right. The van was in the opposite lane and spotted a parking spot across the street and pulled a u-turn in the intersection right in front of me. I guess he didn't spot me going around the car. I didn't have time to hit the brakes, I just bounced off his hood and landed on the sidewalk dazed and confused. That was my wakeup call. there's no need to race for lights, and I need to chill the eff out while riding my bike in town.

But fuck man, these people in their cars... they need to realize they can kill with those things. and our cities should be designing streets to control car speeds, and provide a safe comfortable space for everyone (so called complete streets)..

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Quiet day in the office, rain outside to wash off the streets. Going to see my back doc today to get the workover, so I have that to look forward to. Moar coffee.

squeeb, that sucks. I thought your rack was so bad ass, but that looks like it didn't hold up so good. Did you notice a lot of movement or vibration?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
squeeb, that sucks. I thought your rack was so bad ass, but that looks like it didn't hold up so good. Did you notice a lot of movement or vibration?
Not really. It rode okay the whole time. It was pretty bad in a crosswind though. I straight up pulled over and stood on the side of the road when I got hit by an afternoon squall it was so bad. Really though I was going to get blown off the road at 70+ MPH. I think the problem is just how long the whole thing is. Lots of arm = lots of stress at the mounting point. The rack it self is fine, I'm not sure BMW ever intended for there to be that much leverage going on on its top case mount though. Parts are about 50 bucks so not that big of a deal. Probably not ever going to use the bike rack again unless I can find some sort of solution to cut down on how much arm that thing has.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wasn't sure if it was from pure leverage or if it just shook like crazy. Just toss some cold ass weld at it, should be good to go. :panic:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not really. It rode okay the whole time. It was pretty bad in a crosswind though. I straight up pulled over and stood on the side of the road when I got hit by an afternoon squall it was so bad. Really though I was going to get blown off the road at 70+ MPH. I think the problem is just how long the whole thing is. Lots of arm = lots of stress at the mounting point. The rack it self is fine, I'm not sure BMW ever intended for there to be that much leverage going on on its top case mount though. Parts are about 50 bucks so not that big of a deal. Probably not ever going to use the bike rack again unless I can find some sore of solution to cut down on how much arm that thing has.
I have a buddy who built a trailer to haul his pedal bike around behind his BMW motorbike. He has a tool kit bolted on and one of those Thule upright racks that holds the bike by the downtube. He's done a few road trips with it to VT and North Carolina, and it seems to work well. He pretty much uses it all summer to get to our weekly rides. I can ask for pics if you want...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Taking care of the boys.
TMI, although I'm glad you're still enjoying your extended SOC.

I think we'll skip 70 on the way back and just go up and over Trail Ridge Road for funsies. Should eliminate the pain of sitting in traffic getting home.
That is a fantastic idea. I'd rather meander slowly through RMNP than sit on I-70. We'll be at Winter Park, headed back Monday, so I'll pitch the idea to the family.

I'm pretty sure I know how BMW will respond.
"Pound sand, pleb"?

I am at work. For a change (and since it's Thursday, not Tuesday), it's liver tumor board instead of pancreas. I hope the food is good.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Let me know how that Trail Ridge approach goes... I've always discounted it due to:
  1. It's an expensive "toll road"
  2. One lane in each direction
  3. Fucking tourists
But who knows... maybe it goes? :D
I've done it twice, and it's been pretty good. There's some congestion around the visitor center near the top, and you will inevitably get stuck behind an RV or someone taking their time with the down, but it moves. Certainly better in my mind than sitting on 70, especially when there's that killer beer garden in Estes Park to visit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've done it twice, and it's been pretty good. There's some congestion around the visitor center near the top, and you will inevitably get stuck behind an RV or someone taking their time with the down, but it moves. Certainly better in my mind than sitting on 70, especially when there's that killer beer garden in Estes Park to visit.
Almost anything is better than sitting on 70. I've considered heading over Corona Pass to get to Winter Park before. :D

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Not to into being at work today, but it is Wizard Ride night. Wizard ride night is the best day of the week.

And I just made spaghetti for my rugrat last night. She was kinda pissed I put a bunch of extra veggies in the sauce. I told her that is what you do if you are a vegetarian.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
especially when there's that killer beer garden in Estes Park to visit.
Hey, I know that place.

Random: I just had a very brief, but very, very vivid daydream (hallucination?) that I was sitting in my college freshman physics class. I was sitting here at work looking at my work shit on the computer screen, but for like 3 seconds I felt like I was at that place, in that time. Sights, scents, sounds, everything. I could even remember where I sat, and exactly what the professor looked like, despite not giving him so much as a single thought over the past 10 years.

The human brain is a weird thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey, I know that place.

Random: I just had a very brief, but very, very vivid daydream (hallucination?) that I was sitting in my college freshman physics class. I was sitting here at work looking at my work shit on the computer screen, but for like 3 seconds I felt like I was at that place, in that time. Sights, scents, sounds, everything. I could even remember where I sat, and exactly what the professor looked like, despite not giving him so much as a single thought over the past 10 years.

The human brain is a weird thing.
space time fluctuation. i get deja vu like that frequently too. also a lot in dreams.