Quantcast

turdsday gfmt

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The VW is going to cost you a few thousand over the next few years effectively as well. But it's also going to be more to insure, finance costs, etc. etc.

On the other hand, if you have a desire for VW ownership and that outweighs rational decisions (which I get--see my swim spa on deck saga :D) then that's that.
Good point about making a rational decision, definitely don't want to get that tunnel vision going on one certain car.

I need to start go kicking tires, I've just been perusing used listings from the warmth of home.

Who knows, maybe I'll walk into a miracle deal on a Mazda 3 with the 2.5l engine. Or maybe I'll win the lottery...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The VW is going to cost you a few thousand over the next few years effectively as well. But it's also going to be more to insure, finance costs, etc. etc.

On the other hand, if you have a desire for VW ownership and that outweighs rational decisions (which I get--see my swim spa on deck saga :D) then that's that.
Curious what you're basing you assessment of VW on. True if you decide to drive something stupid like a Phaeton or a Touareg. The Golf/Jetta line is fine. My friend has a wagon Jetta and has had zero issues with it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A new engine would cost $5,000 to $10,000 to end up with a car worth $2,500 per KBB. Unless he finds a known good engine from a junkyard and knows a good shade tree mechanic who can do the swap for beer, it is a foolish endeavor.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Curious what you're basing you assessment of VW on. True if you decide to drive something stupid like a Phaeton or a Touareg. The Golf/Jetta line is fine. My friend has a wagon Jetta and has had zero issues with it.
I guess they have come a ways since the Mk IV. Westy's hasn't fallen apart.

but those were just garbage from all accounts, no? Coil packs, windows falling down, lights always out on the ones I'd see...

(also note that one of my co-workers was stranded near the Eisenhower Tunnel in the past few weeks by some issue with his within-last-5-years Golf R.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A new engine would cost $5,000 to $10,000 to end up with a car worth $2,500 per KBB. Unless he finds a known good engine from a junkyard and knows a good shade tree mechanic who can do the swap for beer, it is a foolish endeavor.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do toyota engines install themselves? And a used ebay engine is just an unknown variable, you could be installing the same problem right back into your car.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd get yourself another toyota and drive it for another 335000km....

Sometimes people that make the dumbest decisions have the best advice, just sayin.

I'd grab a last-gen rav4 and drive it forever if it were me. Maybe a hybrid. Easily the most problem-free 25k miles in any car I've ever had. Boring as dirt, reliable as dirt as well. Everything else I've owned has given me trouble, but the prius and rav4 just kept on trucking boring mile after boring mile.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm inclined to agree with Mr Wich on this one. If you're not picky about what you actually drive, just buy something cheap with known reliability, ideally something you can pay cash for, and drive it until it ceases driving anymore. When it's getting tired, start looking for another good deal.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
That hurts bro :cray:The body is actually rust free, somehow. The underbody though is rusty, as you'd expect with a car from 2007 from around here.

You're right, its not the best time. I just can't see how it would be worth tossing a few grand at the car, when I know its lifetime is limited.

The VW Golf Sportwagens that I've found don't seem to be too bad of a deal, better than looking at any Toyota or similar car (for good reason, probably). They seem to range from $25-28k Canadian with mileage around 40000 miles. These are 4motion trim levels as well.
We have the golf tdi sport wagon it's been a awesome car to own and drive

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Sometimes people that make the dumbest decisions have the best advice, just sayin.

I'd grab a last-gen rav4 and drive it forever if it were me. Maybe a hybrid. Easily the most problem-free 25k miles in any car I've ever had. Boring as dirt, reliable as dirt as well. Everything else I've owned has given me trouble, but the prius and rav4 just kept on trucking boring mile after boring mile.
Drove an 87 Tercel for 11 years, couldn’t kill the thing.

The new Rav4 doesn’t even get it’s first oil change until 10,000 miles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Drove an 87 Tercel for 11 years, couldn’t kill the thing.

The new Rav4 doesn’t even get it’s first oil change until 10,000 miles.
yep. I loved my alfa but even the difference in maintenance between the alfa and genesis are night and day. Geni doesn't need belts until like 100k miles. Alfa needed it at 30k. Not to mention all the other trash. My rav4 had more frequent oil changes (like 5k miles?) but it also didn't burn coolant at 35k miles. It certainly didn't drive like the Alfa, but it's far more ammenable to American driving habits.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Local muni I'm guessing? Lots of establishments won't even let you walk on the grass if there's frost, nevermind keep the greens open.

Also, talk about a Sunday pin. :rofl:
Yes, a short 9 hole setup on the edge of town that was flooded out until last weekend and today was first open (we were 3rd out). 3 5's, 3 4's and 3 3's for $17. They ask you stay off the practice green, but the other greens are fine. That's 9 just on the other side of McKay Creek. It floods every year at least once.

PXL_20230202_172010615~2.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Nothing turdy about the ride today - balmy 36F, frozen fast dirt, bike is finally quiet like a dead hooker in Westy's basement. Was real nice, would bang again, so that's nice.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Nothing turdy about the ride today - balmy 36F, frozen fast dirt, bike is finally quiet like a dead hooker in Westy's basement. Was real nice, would bang again, so that's nice.
you're probably gonna want to wait for a few days until your wind chills get of the negative double digits...but maybe you like that?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Do toyota engines install themselves? And a used ebay engine is just an unknown variable, you could be installing the same problem right back into your car.
not all of their engines are the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that some would have you believe....

some of the V6's in the 4runners blew head gaskets like subaru and vw flat fours...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have whinged about them more than enough on here, but, from maybe 5-6 friends with golfs or polos in the last ~10yrs, pretty sure only one of them has had a car that hasn't needed either a new engine or transmission inside the warranty period. Some have had two transmission Changes.
One needed a third engine at 5yrs and the owner was a mechanic who also owns old beetles, he said he'd never have another modern VW after his Golf as it was such a lemon. Another friend's was worse and was bought back by VW under the no lemon law.

People I know with Amaroks have done okay but two from three have had the electric water pumps fail and one cost 20k in repairs.
My sister's Toerag is still going strong but the mech that looks after that sounds like he's a wizard, he repairs stuff rather than replacing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have whinged about them more than enough on here, but, from maybe 5-6 friends with golfs or polos in the last ~10yrs, pretty sure only one of them has had a car that hasn't needed either a new engine or transmission inside the warranty period. Some have had two transmission Changes.
One needed a third engine at 5yrs and the owner was a mechanic who also owns old beetles, he said he'd never have another modern VW after his Golf as it was such a lemon. Another friend's was worse and was bought back by VW under the no lemon law.

People I know with Amaroks have done okay but two from three have had the electric water pumps fail and one cost 20k in repairs.
My sister's Toerag is still going strong but the mech that looks after that sounds like he's a wizard, he repairs stuff rather than replacing.
You're in the upsidedown land though, how do you folks keep the oil in the oil pan?