greetings and salutations....

it aint highlands ranch.....but it aint 1.1 million either

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh hey gang!
Bike commuted to work yesterday which was great in the morning, but I was faced with a 15mph headwind on the way home and that sucked. I was pretty gassed to begin with, but that just took all the energy out of me. Commute went mostly OK but I realize that part of it is gravel and dirt and the spooky was a little...concerning on it with its 25c tires.

Question for you homies- I bought some shifters on ebay and they were mis-represented by the seller. He provided a picture that had the wrong part number (right part # on the description), and as a result I bought the wrong front derailleur. I reached out to him but was basically told that he didn't do it on purpose- no remediation offered. I don't want to return these but I'd love 10 or 15 bucks to ease the pain of having to buy another part. Am I off base and should I just take the small hit? Should I leave negative or neutral feedback?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
oh hey gang!
Bike commuted to work yesterday which was great in the morning, but I was faced with a 15mph headwind on the way home and that sucked. I was pretty gassed to begin with, but that just took all the energy out of me. Commute went mostly OK but I realize that part of it is gravel and dirt and the spooky was a little...concerning on it with its 25c tires.

Question for you homies- I bought some shifters on ebay and they were mis-represented by the seller. He provided a picture that had the wrong part number (right part # on the description), and as a result I bought the wrong front derailleur. I reached out to him but was basically told that he didn't do it on purpose- no remediation offered. I don't want to return these but I'd love 10 or 15 bucks to ease the pain of having to buy another part. Am I off base and should I just take the small hit? Should I leave negative or neutral feedback?
Tough call mate. If it were me, I'd leave no feedback and chalk it up to both his mistake and mine. $10-$15 isn't enough to cause a ruckus over, IMO.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
woken by the furballs stomping on my back to get put outside at 2am. good thing I fell right back asleep. And of course my day starts in Oakland at 0700 but I will be out of there before the gang bangers wake up so there is that. Finish my day out in the delta which I enjoy making the drive home though the ag fields and mountain passes

Espresso then off to Oakland I go

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What do you say there, Potsie LMFAO! Yada yada swam this morning and will run later. Got a four day weekend coming up....six days if you count the Tuesday and Wednesday WFH days, which I kind of do, because shit man. Looks like I'll be running the Boston Marathon in the rain Monday. Bring it. I'll be hitting up the Red Sox game with splat tomorrow and at least the weather is looking beautiful for that. :monkey:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
First road ride / bike commute of the year. Roads were in decent shape, but still a lot of residual grit in the "bike lanes" aka shoulder aka side of the road. Fortunately the street cleaners were out this morning, so should be clean riding next week.

1681390419887.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Tough call mate. If it were me, I'd leave no feedback and chalk it up to both his mistake and mine. $10-$15 isn't enough to cause a ruckus over, IMO.

let me be clear

it's not about the money, but rather the time. I've got a $40 part that was just rendered useless. I need to buy another one. I can do so and sell the original, but it's going to take time and money to recoup anything and that's where some sort of "my bad dude" would be nice. I guess you're right though- I'm probably not going to get what I want.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Question for you homies- I bought some shifters on ebay and they were mis-represented by the seller
I’d make an eBay satisfaction guarantee claim or whatever they call it. It’s the principle.

/me is WFH today. 1-5 pm real shift then light workload moonlighting nominally from 5-11 pm. Got to pay mah bills (plus this will help out the people on tomorrow)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

let me be clear

it's not about the money, but rather the time. I've got a $40 part that was just rendered useless. I need to buy another one. I can do so and sell the original, but it's going to take time and money to recoup anything and that's where some sort of "my bad dude" would be nice. I guess you're right though- I'm probably not going to get what I want.
ebay claim all day long.

I've had it a few times where the part hasn't matched what it was supposed to be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yesterday, too. I'm convinced a driver's license should be much harder to get and easier to take away.
this is a 3 lane highway. state road, so the speed limit is 55. usually flow of traffic is 65-70. every now and again you get some real assholes doing 90+ and weaving through lanes. the one asshole in a nissan pathfinder almost hit 3 separate cars.

not coincidentally, on the opposite side of the highway there were 4 accidents in a ~half mile stretch.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
even if it wasn't on purpose, it was a misrepresentation of the item being sold. even just a partial.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
:lazy2:

I have a gravel ride with my "boss" planned for this afternoon. I've known the guy for 20 years, and we've never ridden together.

:wave:

Thinking is time to pick up a bike trailer so the wife and I can take the wee one on the bike path. Fun for all!
Samesies. Youngest isn't quite old enough yet, but I plan on picking up a trailer as soon as she is.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
He provided a picture that had the wrong part number (right part # on the description), and as a result I bought the wrong front derailleur.
if I’m reading this correctly, I’m assuming that you bought it based on the picture and not the description? Did you notice the mismatch before you bought it, and bought anyway?

My opinion is that you didn’t do the due diligence to confirm what part you were actually buying and it’s on you. Even if you didn’t see or notice the mismatch when you bought it, and especially if you did see the mismatch and assumed you’d get what was in the photo.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
if I’m reading this correctly, I’m assuming that you bought it based on the picture and not the description? Did you notice the mismatch before you bought it, and bought anyway?

My opinion is that you didn’t do the due diligence to confirm what part you were actually buying and it’s on you. Even if you didn’t see or notice the mismatch when you bought it, and especially if you did see the mismatch and assumed you’d get what was in the photo.
Eh, thinking about it more I’m less convinced of my own opinion. It’s a tough call. That said, if you saw the mismatch before buying and didn’t clarify… that might still be on you.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I agree with this.
I do a lot of buying/selling online (though not ebay), and the general rule is that when push comes to shove, responsibility falls on the BUYER. Yes, in times like this you hope the seller steps up in some way, but ultimately it's on the buyer to protect themselves.

I don't think it's unreasonable to leave neutral feedback, but that's as far as I would go.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
oh hey gang!

So what FD do you need? Please give us the correct information.

Avy

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
not always. someone i know once bought a road bike via ebay. it was listed as a size large and when he received it the bike was a medium.
That's different. The listing was wrong. That's pretty black and white. But if the information doesn't match the picture, the pictures don't match the description, etc etc... it's on the buyer to protect themselves, at least based on my experiences buying/selling the way I do.

IMO, buyers should always ask the basic questions about size, condition, what's included, warranty, etc... even if it's spelled out in the listing. Cover your tracks people, don't assume other people have any interest in doing right by you.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
not always. someone i know once bought a road bike via ebay. it was listed as a size large and when he received it the bike was a medium.
I once bought a brand new Yeti 575 that was supposed to be a medium but there weren't two measurements you could take that would agree on what size bike it was. It was like each tube on the front triangle was made for a different size and the welder just did whatever it took to jam them into a fixture and weld it together. The sticker said medium, the serial number said medium, it seemed to have the seatpost length of a large and a top tube of a small.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I once bought a brand new Yeti 575 that was supposed to be a medium but there weren't two measurements you could take that would agree on what size bike it was. It was like each tube on the front triangle was made for a different size and the welder just did whatever it took to jam them into a fixture and weld it together. The sticker said medium, the serial number said medium, it seemed to have the seatpost length of a large and a top tube of a small.
the welder:

1681398816046.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So what FD do you need? Please give us the correct information.

Avy
So the parts I bought are 10 speed TT shifters (vision metron). They were sold in two formats- the SF-VT-800 was compatible with regular 10 speed componentry. The SV-VT-820 was compatible with 7900 front derailleurs. The 7900 front derailleur is only compatible with the 7900 shifters (thus the difference). My understanding is that both the cable pull and cage spacing is different which is why the parts are uniquely compatible, making my VT-800s a no go with my 7900 front.

The advertisement has multiple issues- first off, the shifters are listed in the "brake lever" category. The description says "SF-VT-800". The photos show a mix of "SF-VT-800 R" and "SF-VT-820 F". I assumed they were a mixed pair and that the photos are accurate, because people usually take accurate photos of the things that they are selling. I assumed that he was somewhat clueless because he listed shifters in the brake lever category, and a quick google of the part number would tell him what he actually held. I didn't think it was worth asking whether it was a mixed pair because people usually take photos of the things they are selling and don't just randomly smash shit together and expect it to go well....that's how people end up with negative feedback and things like this end up happening.

I don't know that I have the mental energy to really deal with this further- I probably won't get satisfactory resolution in the form of a few bucks for my wasted time, but I would like to prevent future Sandwiches from having a similar experience with the same seller. If it were me, I'd try to make my buyer happy...even a simple "Gosh that sucks, and it wasn't intentional, what can I do to help make it right"? I had a similar experience a few years ago where my rotor cranks were mis-advertised and ended up having the wrong Q-factor. I emailed the seller after I got them and, rather than sending them back to china on his dime, he sent me like $15 which covered the hassle of me re-selling them stateside in order to break even. That's all I want...not a refund or some sort of victory, just a "this was a mistake, let's fix it as best we can"

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
A lightly used Burley Bee double. Wife was looking at Insteps through Amazon but some of the reviews had me questioning its durability.
We had a chariot, which I think got gobbled up by burley, but I was a big fan of the suspension on it and would suggest you get something with suspension built in. I don't think it needs to be fancy, but unless you are only traveling on smooth surfaces, the kids will appreciate it.

My little guy used to pass out in that trailer so fast...it was like 300 feet and he'd be out cold for an hour.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Good morning!!!
:wave:

Thinking is time to pick up a bike trailer so the wife and I can take the wee one on the bike path. Fun for all!
I have burly bee double that I’m not useing anymore that needs a home. Of course it’s in SD so you would need to wait a month.

edited to add: Free with baby snuggler adapter. All lightly used.

Last edited: