Quantcast

turdsday gfmt

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not a great start to the day, woke up at 4am with a headache and then had a toilet paper incident. So working from home today.

My cars keyfob has also stopped working, hopefully it's just the battery. It still starts the car if I hold it up to the rfid reader, at least.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
DSO woke me up at threeayem to go outside for emergency poop. It was snowing, so lovely to be outside at that time instead of fast asleep. She's lagging at getting up this morning, which isn't great when she's supposed to be going into boarding for 3 nights this afternoon.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just had my annual eye exam. I've got 20/15 vision, which is nice to have, and makes me wonder why I keep going back for an annual exam. I suppose since I have the insurance I might as well use it. :monkey:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just had my annual eye exam. I've got 20/15 vision, which is nice to have, and makes me wonder why I keep going back for an annual exam. I suppose since I have the insurance I might as well use it. :monkey:
They have to earn money somehow! They aren't dentists, but I'm sure eye docs can enjoy some fancy bikes too. Maybe @SuboptimusPrime can attest to this.

But in seriousness, my insurance covers an eye exam every two years, which seems reasonable.

Another reason to go, is that they can catch things that aren't related to how well you can see. My brain pressure thing was found this way, as they could see that the optic nerve was experiencing excessive pressure or some magic.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. At the PD today.

Dark in the community today. This happened yesterday. Next street down from us, same school Haley's going to next year.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Here. At the PD today.

Dark in the community today. This happened yesterday. Next street down from us, same school Haley's going to next year.
i knew of that road

sucks.

atleast you are not in philly...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

WFH and I have already popped 3 times since 2. I did have a pretty big salad last night, so there is that. Clear and cold this morning, brrr. Barely 7 and I've already got my shit tested and checked in. Damn I'm good.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
:wave:

53’ hot load of seed backed in the drive this morning. Now shorting and seeing all that is supposed to be there is indeed there.

That’s about it. I really like Dave’s bread toasted with chunky peanut butter. Ok, now that’s about it.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
Finally got the 2019 Outback fixed. Took two car dealerships > 2 weeks to figure it out. TLDR: steering rack assembly filled with water (mysterious and no obvious reason seen), water led to rust, rust led to intermittent, but increasingly frequent steering stuck problem.

I spent about $500. Dealership appears to have eaten a loss that might exceed $6k. I will not cry for them. They could have caught this during pre-sales inspection if they hadn't been busy eating paint (there were a few different service items only half done while they owned the car and prior to my purchase). And the used car sales manager tried to lie his way out of taking any responsibility for an obvious safety issue.

I'm happy to have a working car again. Hopefully that's the last of the nonsense.

time to work work work.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
They have to earn money somehow! They aren't dentists, but I'm sure eye docs can enjoy some fancy bikes too. Maybe @SuboptimusPrime can attest to this.

But in seriousness, my insurance covers an eye exam every two years, which seems reasonable.

Another reason to go, is that they can catch things that aren't related to how well you can see. My brain pressure thing was found this way, as they could see that the optic nerve was experiencing excessive pressure or some magic.
I've funded my cycling habit via eye theft for years now. :banana: Highly recommended if you can stomach all the school and the educational debt.

Seriously though, there are many relatively common eye things (glaucoma, retinal tear and detachment, ocular tumors, increased intracranial pressure, early diabetic eye disease or macular degeneration, etc) which can cause irreversible harm to your vision or person which do not manifest noticable changes in vision until it is much later than desired to initiate treatment. No way to know if you aren't checked out. The cost of doing this is screening lots of totally normal/healthy people to find folks having a problem.

The technology exists to perform imaging-based screening without a human operator and refer patients with abnormal findings for an in person exam. I think this will come to a kiosk at CVS or Walmart in the years to come. This will hurt people who do screening for a living (optometry in many cases)--many/most ophthalmologists, being medical doctors only really see people with a diagnosed problem. Nearly all my patients have a potentially blinding eye disease--the conversations in clinic get heavy in clinic sometimes as you may imagine. That said, saving someone's vision is something I can always get out of bed and face the grind of life in order to do and I generally feel good about how I spent my day.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seriously though, there are many relatively common eye things (glaucoma, retinal tear and detachment, ocular tumors, increased intracranial pressure, early diabetic eye disease or macular degeneration, etc) which can cause irreversible harm to your vision or person which do not manifest noticable changes in vision until it is much later than desired to initiate treatment. No way to know if you aren't checked out. The cost of doing this is screening lots of totally normal/healthy people to find folks having a problem.

The technology exists to perform imaging-based screening without a human operator and refer patients with abnormal findings for an in person exam. I think this will come to a kiosk at CVS or Walmart in the years to come. This will hurt people who do screening for a living (optometry in many cases)--many/most ophthalmologists, being medical doctors only really see people with a diagnosed problem. Nearly all my patients have a potentially blinding eye disease--the conversations in clinic get heavy in clinic sometimes as you may imagine. That said, saving someone's vision is something I can always get out of bed and face the grind of life in order to do and I generally feel good about how I spent my day.
that sounds like preventative care. This is America™. Health care needs to make money. preventative care doesn't make as much money as reactive and emergency care, so you get outta here with that commie pinko BS

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
that sounds like preventative care. This is America™. Health care needs to make money. preventative care doesn't make as much money as reactive and emergency care, so you get outta here with that commie pinko BS
This is true re: incentives for preventative care. I think it would be awesome if both patients and people working in the medical system were incentivised to get and/or stay healthy as long as possible. Eventually the shit hits the fan for us all and believe me, you want smart, motivated, happy and well paid people helping you then as well. The challenges facing medicine are such a cluster. Many answers are more complicated than it seems, many obvious fixes will never fly due to the various powerful interests opposing them. Sigh...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not a great start to the day, woke up at 4am with a headache and then had a toilet paper incident. So working from home today.

My cars keyfob has also stopped working, hopefully it's just the battery. It still starts the car if I hold it up to the rfid reader, at least.
Stupid keyless key systems burn through key fob batteries quickly