Quantcast

>>>Turdumpen GMT<<<

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So I wake up late today as I did not get home till 0200. Man does my hand hurt today. I tell ya, if you ever decide to cut your hand, make sure it's a clean knife..... Other words they do all kinds of washing out and disinfecting before they stitch you up......
Also keep your knives well honed. A cut from a sharp blade is easier to close than a jagged one from a dull blade.

But you probably know that.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Also keep your knives well honed. A cut from a sharp blade is easier to close than a jagged one from a dull blade.

But you probably know that.
The er doc complimented me for how clean the cut was, he said it means my knives are very sharp.

He also asked where I get them sharpened.... I left him my business card, think I might officially add knife sharpening to my stuff.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The er doc complimented me for how clean the cut was, he said it means my knives are very sharp.

He also asked where I get them sharpened.... I left him my business card, think I might officially add knife sharpening to my stuff.
You should! It’s tough to find places that will sharpen using stones and not a grinder. A place that can get the blades sharp enough to cut paper thin slices of tomato is priceless.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You should! It’s tough to find places that will sharpen using stones and not a grinder. A place that can get the blades sharp enough to cut paper thin slices of tomato is priceless.
Last year I bought stones, cracked a beer or 7, and tuned up all of my kitchen knives. Technically I think I ruined the first one (learning curve) then fixed it and dialed in the rest. It's a zen thing and somehow more satisfying to cook with now.

Last year I bought stones, cracked a beer or 7, and tuned up all of my kitchen knives. Technically I think I ruined the first one (learning curve) then fixed it and dialed in the rest. It's a zen thing and somehow more satisfying to cook with now.
We used to have a raft moored on Lake Champlain. I'd go out there with a stone and one of the kitchen knives and spend an hour or two honing. You could point one of those knives at something from a yard away and it'd be severed.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I've been using set of ceramic rods called a Crock Stick since the late 70's when I was a kid. Takes about a minute or two hone the blade and automatically sets the angle. Works great unless the blade has been neglected and has nicks in the edge. Then I have to re-edge with stones and sometimes a belt sander if its morphed into a rusty hatchet. Personally I have a difficult time keeping the angle consistent on a stone freehand.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
GREAT ride today. cold. leafy. fun.

on the way up...

some cool ice formations...

nice views on the way back down...

leafy...

classy trail signs

the view from the very top

hitting some steeps on the way down

coffee making back at the car

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I've been using set of ceramic rods called a Crock Stick since the late 70's when I was a kid. Takes about a minute or two hone the blade and automatically sets the angle. Works great unless the blade has been neglected and has nicks in the edge. Then I have to re-edge with stones and sometimes a belt sander if its morphed into a rusty hatchet. Personally I have a difficult time keeping the angle consistent on a stone freehand.

I have six different sharpening sets.... Crock sticks are on of them.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
At the hospital for my seizure testing weekend. Dr @Toshi is threatening to come by tomorrow to say hi. They are cutting my drugs and keeping me awake to see if we can trigger an event - giddy. I did just learn that because they are priming me for a seizure, I am not allowed to go to the bathroom by myself. Kind of annoying to take a leak with a young nurse right behind you. Guess I'm going to be building the back pressure up for that and no poop this weekend...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
GREAT ride today. cold. leafy. fun.

on the way up...

some cool ice formations...

nice views on the way back down...

leafy...

classy trail signs

the view from the very top

hitting some steeps on the way down

coffee making back at the car
Nice! That said, I hate needle ice.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
At the hospital for my seizure testing weekend. Dr @Toshi is threatening to come by tomorrow to say hi. They are cutting my drugs and keeping me awake to see if we can trigger an event - giddy. I did just learn that because they are priming me for a seizure, I am not allowed to go to the bathroom by myself. Kind of annoying to take a leak with a young nurse right behind you. Guess I'm going to be building the back pressure up for that and no poop this weekend...
Why you no poop with audience ?

Good luck dude.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Pay @stoney 's nurse to help him poop?
She's already getting paid for that. I'd pay her to film it and post it here.

Are you 1x9, do you need more low end range or are your current knee pads able to walk around on their own/falling apart?
Yea, 1x9. More low end range is one goal - gonna try a 40t first and see if that's enough. Planning to eventually make the same upgrade to my xc bike as well, and a 3rd cassette for my spare/winter wheels. Considering a pair of lighter knee pads for trail riding, only have DH ones currently.

hookers and blow, dumbass.
As per tradition.

I was going to suggest spending his birthday money on jewelry to give to his wife, but with your idea, he won't end up with kid number three.
Done after #2.

Do you trust your current fork?
My trail fork yes. My xc fork not so much, but it's an xc fork.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Oh I totally agree. I have a 1000/6000 grit stone that I use to sharpen. After practicing on the Henckels my wife uses I proceeded o to my knives. And yes, we have separate kitchen knives and cookware.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
It sure is! Man if you recognize that from one photo, we must live really close...
Relatively close, but not quite. We make it down to Ste-Marie once a year, and actually I have yet to ride the elusive Maibock... :(

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My wife isn't allowed to use my knives..... I cried when she used my good fillet knife on a tomato.......
:rofl:

My wife isn’t that discerning with knives and she likes non-stick cookware. Me, I’m a carbon steel knife and stainless/carbon/cast iron cookware kinda guy. Can’t have her a using my precious cookware.