Quantcast

Turkey Burner Pics

splat

Nam I am
The Turkey Burner is an annual Mt bike ride sponsered by FOMBA ( www.fomba.org ) and it has a 12 Mile route and you can add the "hero" loop which is another 12 Miles.

and an Map of all the single track in the Hero section is here http://www.fomba.org/Map/fomba.pdf

anyway I saw Quo Fan, JerseyGirl , JustBill , Oldbroad and Douglas, and numous Non- forum members whom I knew .

there wer ealso Alot of people who Recognized Me and looked familiar to me , But I did not remeber there names ( I gave them Tours of Vietnam)

It was a Cold day to start, I was up at my In-laws In New London , NH where it was 18 degrees when I left for Massabesic, and It warmed up a little as I drove. It was 30 Degrees when I got there. Here is the main parking lot , Bike , bikes and More Bikes

We ( douglas and I ) ran Into Justbill and his son Noah in the Other parking lot. Here Noah is showing His bad ass Schwiinn Homegrown , I took it for a spin that bike is Sweet!!!

Once we started Douglas and I were keeping a pretty quick Pace , so I did not have time for too many Pics for the first few ( 8 or so ) miles .

It had rained Pretty had on thanksgiving , and then got cold , the combo of frozen water and Leave cover isa Bad combination, at about 5 miles we came across this.
they said he had a Broke wrist ( compound ) , and the man was in some serious Pain .
always a sad sight to see.

at a little over 8 miles the local Fire department , had set up a water /Hot coa coa stop

Douglas trying to get some feeling back into his toes using the Hot coa coa.

We decided here we were going to do the Hero loop ( 25 mile ride instead of a 12 ) , but douglas need to warm his toes so we stopped right after this at a local store where he went and warmed his toes.

We hit the awesome single track , really started enjoying it ! , decided to slow our pace down , because we were pushing so hard it is what was making us cold. Toes and Fingers that is.

I don't know who this is , but I liked the Pic.

Douglas, Just Riding along

We took a breather after one of the sections of Single track, and Douglas took a Picture of me. ( on the left ) and My glasses fogged up !! note you can't see through them even here in the picture.

and is that Serial Midget on the right side ?

Douglas going over little bridge used to cross a stone wall

Tim Cantwell , getting stuck between 2 trees ! I've known him for quite a while ( dam almost 20 years ! )

This was a fun little rock vise

Douglas Doing the log roll. , really steep , really smooth , really fun!!!

And Totally , Bonked , Totally Spent , we did the last couple miles down the old rail bed back to the parking lot. 25 Miles , 4 hours and a Lot of Fun!!

this is a really low tunnel on the way back , and my last pic

and it was 37 degrees when we got back ! so It didn't really warm up that much!
and when it is that cold and you leave your Enegry Gel in your camel Back , you have to Chew it !!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
cool love them long rides. :)
i went for a ride yesterday. the local bikey club here was puttin on a turkey burner but it was full(pardon the pun..). So of course i went anyways haha (and even funnier my membership has expired hahaha). Anyways the ride leader was really cool he allowed me to tag along. Well after a while he made me the ride leader because i knew the trail system best haha. Talk about a Shanghai......

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I definitely had fun riding w/splat but man oh man, was I tired after doing the turkey burner!! (I think running a 5k the day before might have added to my tiredness)

I almost was going to wimp out of the hero section because my feet were like ice blocks, but luckily I didnt being that section was super sweet! lots & lots of technical singletrack with many sections that people were not able to clear - one of those trails I gave it my best and passed a bunch but I could not keep up with this one female rider, she definitely had technical skills!!

4 hours & 25 miles = :D

Tshirt:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The day before the turkey burner (which would be thanksgiving!) some friends & I did the Troy Turkey Trot

They had a walk, grade school race, 5K & 10K.

We did the 5K...well....along with 2,430 others...needless to say the start was a mess (why would so many people start in the 6 or 7 minute mile section when they run 10 or 11 minute miles? :think: )

about a mile in a bar must have opened up early (it was 9:30 am) becuase everyone watching had beers...I asked but no one would give me a sip!

anyway, I was happy with my time - oh, and I came in 609th

tshirt (everyone got a medal):

splat

Nam I am
Too bad you couldn't make it Steve :( there will be other times

When are you going to be in mass ?

any way there are some photo's over on MTBR from this ride also

But here is one of Douglas and I ( I'm on the right Taking a Picture Douglas is next to me )

Edit : MTBR won't let you link Pics :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh crap - thought the camera was only supposed to put on ten LBS. :blah:

Looks like a mighty nice time with lots and lots of bikers, I envy all of you because I am working weekends until the end of the year. Very little biking for me in the crisp fall goodness. :eviltongu