Quantcast

Turkey Day is the day! (I need some advice, please)

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
Ok, so I have been riding a mountain bike for around 8 years. 5 years cross-country, 3 doing DH. Here is my deal- I never hit big doubles! Ok, call me a puss, but I have fear and a lot at stake. I have no problem hitting big drops- I gone over 10' and a lot of table tops. I've been eyin' this double near my house for a while and I have decided to hit it on my ride tomorrow morning. Any advice? Just go balls out n hit it? Roll up on it a few times first?

My problem is this- I am not a kid in school anymore. I have 2 car payments, a house payment, two kids, a wife and 5 cats (don't ask, long story) So they all depend on ME to work and provide. If I am hurt, I can't. Nuff said.

I have hit pretty big table tops (over three bike lengths) and pretty big drops, so I know I have the skills, it is just hitting that first one. It scares the snot outta me but I want to so bad.

Anyone relate to this?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would say go for it, but wear protective gear so if you fall you won't get too hurt. You will probably clear it no problem. Take a few run ups and maybe watch someone else do it. Don't go too fast and don't go too slow. If you can hit tables you know how to judge speed, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
I had the same dilemma last year during the summer. There was about this 30' gap jump that I had been eyeing for some time, the landing was really nice so I had decided to go big on that one. I rolled up to it a few times and decided the best way to hit it was at a little higher speed so I could squash it for a little more control in the air. Well, I ended up still shorting it, but since I had control I was able to pull off the landing.

Hit it with higher speed then you think, squash it a little for more control and just do it

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
exact same boat as you. 34, 2 kids, house, 2 cars student loans. 10' drop is my biggest. whistler makes me feel like a rock star. 25' table no problem.... put a gap in it and i puss out all the time. my advice is don't do it if your not comfortable. these kids don't understand what the reprocussions (sp?) are if we get hurt bad enough to keep us out of work. i can link every table on a-line,crabapple hits, and the dirt merchant step ups. good enough for me! i would like to be able to jump like berrecloth, but i'm too old, too fat, no skills, no balls. thing is, thats ok w/me. i ride to have fun, not kill myself. i drove 7 hours to ride the shore last weekend. rode cbc, on seymore. not the craziest trail up there but its steep, rocky, rooty, and has some beautifully built skinnys and stunts, only 2-4' off the ground instead of 20'. had the most fun i'd had all summer, just riding sick trails with good friends. thats what its about, man!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
^good point. If you want to do it, then do it, but if you're not comfortable, don't risk getting hurt.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
If you can do a table that big, you can do a double that big. Just practice hitting something that size for a while, then move over to the double. If your going to do it, do it fast. The more run ups you take the harder it will be to actually get yourself to do it, and with each one you lose some confidence.

In the end, it all comes down to whether YOU want to or not. You are the one that knows yourself best and know what you will be risking.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Speaking of turkey day for you guys...what's with deep-frying turkeys?! Taste any good?

I saw a show on tv just before saying you could set your house on fire if you're not careful.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
ChrisRobin said:
Speaking of turkey day for you guys...what's with deep-frying turkeys?! Taste any good?

I saw a show on tv just before saying you could set your house on fire if you're not careful.
Turkey makes me tired, that's why I only have it about once a year!

Nice avatar BTW, I saw the Misfits (with Glen Danzig singing- opening for Black Flag) when you were about 3 years old.

~I will step off my punk rock soap box now~

SuPaFlY

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
Toronto
Remember one thing, it is always better to overshoot than case a double! Also, to get a feel for the amount of speed you will need, if its possible, do soe ride by's to see what kind of speed you will need. Also, if you are going to be hitting doubles, a mellow lip is extremely easy as opposed to a steep one.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
Well, I am about to go for my ride... I have taken a lot of things into consideration and I will letcha know how it goes! Thanx for all of the tips. I just have to remember that everyone started somewhere once, ya know?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
If you have someone you can follow into it, do that. It is real helpful to have the speed down by following a rider who has done it before. Also, round off the landing ramp to make it nice and case-able.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Bobby Peru said:
Nice avatar BTW, I saw the Misfits (with Glen Danzig singing- opening for Black Flag) when you were about 3 years old.

~I will step off my punk rock soap box now~
I've never seen them...I had a chance to see them here in Victoria in October but I was stuck going to a wedding. Either way, I wasn't too disappointed since it's with the newer lineup of the Misfits which isn't so hot anyway.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
SuperSlow said:
there are big doubles in texas?
My screen name and location are a joke. Bobby Peru is a character in a movie called "Wild At Heart" with Nicolas Cage. The fictional city- Big Tuna, Texas is part of the film. It is a great movie. I actually live in Southern California.

Well, I pussed out.... there was nobody else there doing that jump so, I decided to do it the next time someone is there actually jumping it. I want to see their speed and line. There is a turn right before the jump and the line is questionable...so I figured better safe than sorry. Had someone been doing it, I would have but..... I still feel like a wuss.

I ride again next Sunday, so hopefully there will be some riders out. I guess everyone was gettin' ready for the big feast this afternoon. I will post pics of todays jumps later on after I upload 'em.