Quantcast

Turkey Day Weekend in Arizona

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Our now annual pilgrimage to Arizona started out great.

Working hard to stay awake.

After an awesome awesome Thanksgiving dinner with our host family in Gilbert, we drove to the old Cactus Cup course for some pre-Sedona warm up laps around the Sport Loop.

It was kinda overcast on Friday but it made for a perfect riding temperature.

lukeduke, about to open a can-o-whoop ass on Orven.

I'm still smiling so I guess I was not suffering much.

lukeduke on his wolfhound 29er.

Soon after, we're off and heading to Sedona.

Yeah!

Orven was disappointed to not see a barely clad tank-topped chick on the back of the bag.

Oh yes, we have arrived!

Easter huts at Xanadu. :p

Sun was beginning to set when we arrived in Sedona but they don't observe daylight saving time here so it was still pretty bright .

Trail map like no other.

A bike shop with a pump track in the back. Hella coo.

Morning in Sedona, Saturday.

In Sedona, you have hippies and vortexes, and then these...

We'll soon see for ourselves.

Just taking it in.

A short breather after a brief climb. It was really hard to focus on the trail because there are many features along the way to look at.

We didn't mind stopping on big rock formations to play around..and fix mechanicals.

Watch out Arizona, this soon to be junior champ will come to races near you. Future Hutchinson factory rider, I hope.

Our rather large group, with a few we ran into along the trail who decided to stick with us for directions.

If the normal rocky sections were not technical enough, the power climbs on many of these sections drained some of our energy.

Orven was heckled to do this one tricky chute so I grabbed the camera from him for a brief moment.

Finally made it to Submarine Rock. Awesome saddle with views.

Tire traction was critical in traversing the slick rock. Hutchinson Barracudas rocked!

Lunch time.

Me and the suckest slow poke.

Orven caught me just goofing around the dome.

11 yr old phenom, Jordan, was warming up.

More balls than you.. :)

Last shot before we headed to Chicken Rock.

Another gnarly rock strewn chute. Kevin, barely made it.

End of the ride.

Bagging up the sunflower seeds for the drive back to Gilbert, AZ.

They won't sell this larger than life cowbell to Orven for the Santa Barbara rides.

Post ride beer? Que? How about wine tasting for post ride?

The trail/xc bikes are parked for good to make room for the DH activities on Sunday. :)

I sat out Sun's DH festivities due to stomach illness.

Orven ran into Nanhar and Co at the bottom.
Downtown Phoenix and the Riverside imported smog.

Jordan took advantage of my absence and rode my Be One.

Jordan's dad, Clipless Bill.

Jordan had no problem with the new bike.
Installed his clipless pedals and rode it like he has ridden it for months. Kids!

Took pics on only one run to maximize ride time.
Orven's turn to be the shuttle bitch and took a shot of the group coming down the ridgeline.

Post grub at Sonic, watched some football and then the inevitable drive home to real life.
Thanks lukeduke for all and we had a great time. See you at Old Pueblo (and maybe do the Lava tube ride as well).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
as always, great post and pics. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I love all those trails.

Is this the chute that drops in off of the road? Your pic actually makes it look as hairy as it really is.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
as always, great post and pics. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I love all those trails.

Is this the chute that drops in off of the road? Your pic actually makes it look as hairy as it really is.
Yes, I think it was.
Note to self, drop the seatpost some next time.

Have you shipped the Xt der btw? :)

Gosh, I'm still hungover from all the AZ riding. SoMo is like candy...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yes, I think it was.
Note to self, drop the seatpost some next time.

Have you shipped the Xt der btw? :)

Gosh, I'm still hungover from all the AZ riding. SoMo is like candy...
I thought so. It looks like you sort of missed the left half way down! ;)

yep ... shipped Monday via USPS. you should have this week.

So.Mtn is one of my favorite places to ride that I've visited to date, even if there are no trees. Sedona is great too. In fact I have never had a bad time riding in Arizona. I gotta get back there.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I thought so. It looks like you sort of missed the left half way down! ;)
Going left was stupid. Besides, as a DHer by practice, straight-lining everything is ok. :p

Thanks for shipping the der.. I'm building up another DH and beater XC FS bike. It will come handy.

I think our next AZ trip will take us to Flagstaff...not before Heather suffers through the 24hr race at Old Pueblo first though. :dead:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Cool! You hit some of my favorite riding spots. I almost went to Sedona with a group on Saturday but was feeling a little under the weather so I stayed home. Great photos!

You also got of the sign I got the park rangers to put up. We kept getting hikers on the comp loops, and they would get p*ssed off at us, when they weren't supposed to be there.

Edit: Super cool!, I just noticed Bill, Holly and Jordan. They were in the group I had planned to go up with.