Quantcast

Turkey Frying

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
The best holiday of the year, Thanksgiving, happens to fall on my 30th birthday this year so in celebration I am giving it a go at frying a turkey. This is my first time with this, but I've had some good advice from DW himself....but I'd love to hear some tips/recommendations/recipes from those seasoned turkey frying veterans!

and yes, I know all the basic procedures and 'OMG YOU'RE GOING TO DIE OR BURN THE HOUSE DOWN' rules like:
a.) thaw the sum-bitch before frying
b.) don't wear a speedo around boiling oil
c.) don't fry in your living room

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Make sure when you're measuring out the amount of oil needed you account for the size of the turkey that you frying. An overflow of oil is not very fun to clean up!

Also with the rules you posted both B and C are only for the beginners :D

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Make sure when you're measuring out the amount of oil needed you account for the size of the turkey that you frying. An overflow of oil is not very fun to clean up!

Also with the rules you posted both B and C are only for the beginners :D
Completely thaw turkey, set turkey in the fryer, add water until turkey is completely covered, remove turkey, mark the amount of water in the fryer, remove water, fill fryer with oil up to mark.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fry it in the basement next to the furnace. no need to thaw, throw that sucker straight into the fryer from the freezer. be sure to chain smoke the whole time.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Completely thaw turkey, set turkey in the fryer, add water until turkey is completely covered, remove turkey, mark the amount of water in the fryer, remove water, fill fryer with oil up to mark.
this is pretty much all you need to know.

we use peanut oil too which is sometimes hard to find in the large amount that youll need.
we also never really season or put anything on the turkey at all and it still comes out awesome.

when you add the turkey, the temperature will drop significantly and will take a while to get back up to temp so take that time into consideration for your overall cook time.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Rule #1 for any special occasion turkey:don't buy a frozen bird!:banghead::confused:

Find a local farm that sells free range or organic turkeys. They usually cost the same as a ****ty store bought frozen bird and taste a lot better.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Mmmmm..... Smoked Turkey. That is what I do as well, but usually just bone-in breasts.
2 day brine with all the holiday spices, then an 8-10hr smoke at about 190-200 degrees.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it's cute when rm goes all southern white trash....

fvck a relative while you're at it...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hmmmmmm

I have 20+ roaming around my Neighborhood.
In MA you are allowed to trap them in your yard. You only need a permit if you plan to release them?? The best way is to use a large box trap, bait it with sweet clover mashed into a piece of tin foil attached to the stick holding up the box via fishing line. I call it the Wiley Coyote method... When the bird eats the clover the trap falls, and like that you have your prey. Just remember that a pissed off turkey has some sharp ass talons and if you have contact with them they will cut you bad. Best way to kill the bird is to close the box tight to the bird and then stick it with a pike or knife at the base of its neck. Then cut off its head like a chicken and field dress it like Grandma did with her chickens. Turkeys in MA tend to be really Scrawny and very Gamey as they live in a Suburban Habitat which doesn't afford them a good diet like here...