Quantcast

Turn off your smartyl phone.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Question for you tech guru's out there.

Is it a good practice to do a power cycle (on, off, on) with your phone at least once a week?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Not unless you are experiencing funky wonkiness come end of week. If that's the case, you might have some underlying issue.

Power cycling/restarting used to be a earlier Windows routine. Not so much anymore if you are running a modern os.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not unless you are experiencing funky wonkiness come end of week. If that's the case, you might have some underlying issue.

Power cycling/restarting used to be a earlier Windows routine. Not so much anymore if you are running a modern os.
Actually its no different today with any OS, there are still memory leaks and bugs especially with third party applications which can necessitate a reboot. Memory management has improved but they aren't immune especially with so many lines of code/developers involved and the more limited hardware specs found on smartphones.

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
lol I don't get a choice about turning the phone off every few days..... bloody Nokia N97's symbian starts fu*king up and running slower and slower after3-4 days usually by day 5 the screen stops working (software not firmware as it starts working fine again..... As the phone shuts down).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
lol I don't get a choice about turning the phone off every few days..... bloody Nokia N97's symbian starts fu*king up and running slower and slower after3-4 days usually by day 5 the screen stops working (software not firmware as it starts working fine again..... As the phone shuts down).
I just jumped to Android from an S60 device. Dude, get off Nokia right away, you'll be sooo happy.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I just jumped to Android from an S60 device. Dude, get off Nokia right away, you'll be sooo happy.
And I am.... LG P920 Optimus 3D running the 2.2.2 'droid.
Loving it except for the app's don't quit, so to stop them chewing thru the battery I have to use the application manager to shut them down after using them which is mildly annoying.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got a Windows Phone last Febuary and since the NoDo update in the spring (on Mango now) the only time I had to restart it is when I installed a 32gb card. Rock solid with zero memory leaks. Background apps are controlled very well so no need for an app manager. Plus, no malware!

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got a Windows Phone last Febuary and since the NoDo update in the spring (on Mango now) the only time I had to restart it is when I installed a 32gb card. Rock solid with zero memory leaks. Background apps are controlled very well so no need for an app manager. Plus, no malware!

I must have jinxed myself because I had to reset my phone today! My 3G stopped working. Must be all the switching on/off airplane modes on my last trip. But I don't blame the OS, it seems like a Samsung issue.