Quantcast

Turndowns on a MTB?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Now, this is coming from a guy that hasn't ridden mtb in a long time, so forgive me if I come across kind of stupidly...

Note in the picture how the leg that goes across the top tube tucks in under the handlebars... Can you do that on a mtb? If not, that would be enough to prevent it right there.

You could do unturndowns instead... You snap in to the position of a turndown without turning the bars. They're pretty cool looking.

(Actually, when we did that trick five or so years ago, we called 'em "in-downs." I don't understand how some of these names catch on)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, guess that explains that! :D

Not only is it possible, it actually looks cool.

I love a tweaked turndown.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Originally posted by RandomV
Now, this is coming from a guy that hasn't ridden mtb in a long time, so forgive me if I come across kind of stupidly...

Note in the picture how the leg that goes across the top tube tucks in under the handlebars... Can you do that on a mtb? If not, that would be enough to prevent it right there.

You could do unturndowns instead... You snap in to the position of a turndown without turning the bars. They're pretty cool looking.

(Actually, when we did that trick five or so years ago, we called 'em "in-downs." I don't understand how some of these names catch on)

a turndown is like in the pictures, an in down is when your arms are opposite, but the bike is still turned the same way like in this picture.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
oh yeah I'm sure his foot is off the pedal too...unless he has a 240mm crank arm. But I'd still call that a turndown. Even if you don't, you have to admit it's a fancy lookin bicycle trick

Originally posted by RandomV

very correct, my leg will get pinched in between the top tube and the handlebar before i can twist the bar all the way around on my mtb..

too bad this picture timing isn't better(at least we ride better than we take pictures).....trying to bust a turndown

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
The guy on the Mtb doing the Turndown is Carter Holland and he throws them all the time. Also his foot is still on. Voreis does them aswell and a bunch more MTBer's

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Seems like a lot of bike for doing turndowns on... sure there are gonna be a few sick ass mo fo's who can throw it down, but for the post part I think that will remain primarily a BMX trick.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Juano
The guy on the Mtb doing the Turndown is Carter Holland and he throws them all the time. Also his foot is still on.
Yup, foot is still on - that same pic is in the latest Decline of him(looks like a 26" wheel too!) - it's the same as the one above but taken from a slightly different angle. And a 2-page spread - easy to see what's going on...