Quantcast

Turner 5 Spot Shock Fitting

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys,

I got a 2004 Turner 5 Spot and was looking into replacing the stock Romic shock with a Fox DHX 5.0. Does anybody know if the frame is compatible? I heard some issues dealing with fitting, was wondering if you guys can shed some light on that? Also, do you guys know what the proper shock length for the DHX would be for my Turner? Thanks.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Depends...I think the boost valve knob thingie can hit the downtube on the smaller sizes. You'd have bottom out the shock minus the spring to be sure. You could also just remove the blue knob. The correct size for your frame is 7.5"*2".

k1creeker

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
Try searching the Turner forum on MTBR. The DHX and 5 Spot combo generally gets luke warm reviews. Most riders feel the mid stroke is non-existent with the DHX and the shock would blow through to bottom out. You might consider the Fox RP23 with a large air canister. ( http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=60&type=products&title=FOX FLOAT Air Sleeves&product_id=59 ) Light weight and plush. I've been running this set up for 5 years now.

The Push 5 spot rockers gonefirefighten refers to are no longer available from Push but you can sometimes find them on MTBR. They raise the BB slightly and give 5.75" of travel. It's not so much the quantity, but the quality of the travel. Less XC and more all mtn.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Yes The Turner forum on MTBR is the place to go.However I will agree a RP23 is the most popular choice,if I remember correctly large air can if under 165-170,small can if over 175.I do have a RP3 7.5"x2" that has been Pushed(does need to be reserviced by Push and they told me any rebuild on a previously Push tuned shock is only $100.00)I have both a large and a AVA(adjustable air volume)can available.If interested PM me.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Try searching the Turner forum on MTBR. The DHX and 5 Spot combo generally gets luke warm reviews. Most riders feel the mid stroke is non-existent with the DHX and the shock would blow through to bottom out. You might consider the Fox RP23 with a large air canister. ( http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=60&type=products&title=FOX FLOAT Air Sleeves&product_id=59 ) Light weight and plush. I've been running this set up for 5 years now.

The Push 5 spot rockers gonefirefighten refers to are no longer available from Push but you can sometimes find them on MTBR. They raise the BB slightly and give 5.75" of travel. It's not so much the quantity, but the quality of the travel. Less XC and more all mtn.
Agree with you about the DHX-A, but if he's using a DHX coil then it's a pretty good match.

I have the Push rockers with a large can RP3 on mine. You might also try to source a set of Turner 5.5 rockers instead. Lots of MTBR homers like them over the Push ones. You'll want a 140mm fork with either set though.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I think an RP3 or RP23 will be a better shock for a 5-spot, unless you're really really heavy.

also the "Homers" at MTBR are pretty ignorant, they do more bench racing than riding. the best role for that forum is to read it to see who creates the most outrageous blingbike that rarely gets ridden. :D

no, actually the best reason to read that forum is because Dave Turner often comments there and you can get good info that way.

the folks at Turner are super-helpful, I'd suggest calling them.

Last edited: