Quantcast

turner and glory axle path

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
first off. i know i have this same subject in another forum, but from my experience there are more dhr owners here...
so i have this conflict with a turner dhr (the round tube one) and my current glory
i really like my glory for its stabilty and how it jus plows through things but it just lacks in the agility, nimble, and abilty to hold speed deparments. so my solution was a turner dhr. upon futher research i find that the turners axle path is really "archish" making the wheel base smaller when compressed adding to its nimbleness but also im assuming will add to it getting "hung up" and not carrying speed well through the rough. my question is what will i really feel if i make the switch? will i really i notice square edge hits that much more? its hard to translate axle path jumble to real life.
another question, what do people really have for bottom bracket heights on their dhr's?
ps i know these threads are stupid, i spend a lot of time on my bike and dont wanna make the wrong decsion. thanks everyone

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
ive got the square-tube one so its about the same, i dont notice loss of any speed, nimble isnt even the word. im going to run my friends glory for the first time this weekend though and ill get back to this topic.... but i warn you, once you have a dhr, thats it bro, your hooked

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
from what I have known and experienced, youll have a more stable ride on the glory for sure, and yes the dhr did feel more nimble as you would say, but in all honesty, alot of it has to do with shock set up, center of gravity, and frame progressiveness (I have found dhrs to be super progressive, at least the ones Ive tried). I believe you could easily set your glory to make it more nimble... try with a harder springe and less compresion, or vice versa, or play around with your lines more instead of plowing. Also, you could make it lighter. And last but not least, why do you feel your glory is more of a plow bike rather than nimble like a dhr? Wheel path has to do with it, but if you try some other monopivots out there, you'll realise its not just the work of the frame but more of the suspension, at least in my opinion.

loolilon

Chimp
May 23, 2009
israel
first the glory will iron the grown much better from the dhr second only the rearward travel is what keeping you carry speed i ride a Jedi 7.75” travel With 2.5” of rearward travel my friend ride a demo with 8.2" we start from the same point chainless ill cary speed much faster from him by far because the wheel flows on what cames on his way
its all physics man

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
The glory can be nimble if you set it up properly, like Karpi said. There´s a HUGE difference if you step up in springrate or compression. Very easy to pop and it still seems to accelerate when smashing in to the rough.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
cool. just saved me a lot of hassle. lighter and some shock adjusting. ive just heard alot of really really good things about dhrs and sounded like the bike for me but then after some research, alot of not so good things.
ps if it it helps, i ride/race the east coast messy stuff

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
first the glory will iron the grown much better from the dhr second only the rearward travel is what keeping you carry speed i ride a Jedi 7.75” travel With 2.5” of rearward travel my friend ride a demo with 8.2" we start from the same point chainless ill cary speed much faster from him by far because the wheel flows on what cames on his way
its all physics man
What he said..........its all physics

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
DH racing is not only about carrying speed over the rough. Get a bike that suits your riding style better and gives you more confidence. If the turner poppyness will make you feel better and more confident on the trail you will probably be faster even though the glory might be faster over the rough stuff. Also you can always jump over much of the rough stuff and it should be much easier on turner.
It's not a question of which bike is better but which bike is better for you.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
DH racing is not only about carrying speed over the rough. Get a bike that suits your riding style better and gives you more confidence. If the turner poppyness will make you feel better and more confident on the trail you will probably be faster even though the glory might be faster over the rough stuff. Also you can always jump over much of the rough stuff and it should be much easier on turner.
It's not a question of which bike is better but which bike is better for you.
100%.

the original poster is engaged in "bench racing." once he gets the knowledge that speed is about confidence and skill, and not a particular bike being "faster" than another... that's such a pile of horsecrap... one bike "faster" than another... CRAP!

YOU are faster on the bike that makes you more comfortable. the "faster" bike is the one that lets you relax and enjoy yourself.

the glory will iron the grown much better from the dhr
whoever you are, you need to speak in English. "iron the grown"? what the hell is that?

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
100%.

whoever you are, you need to speak in English. "iron the grown"? what the hell is that?
It's similar to "paving the trail" or "bulldozing"

The thing that's hitting the rocks is the wheel, not the axle (path). The wheel acts as the cam follower to the rock. Sure the bike can move 2.5" forward before the rear wheel has hit the rock, but eventually WILL hit it. Your body can easily move a foot reward for that same rock and also move dynamically in reaction to it. The rearward axle path does certainly seem to be a great marketing point tho... whatever sells I guess.

I ride a giant faith and I've mapped the "axle path" myself and it is in no way "rearward" at all (compared to any "rearward travel bike"), yet it "paves the path" amazingly well. Why? How? how exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work?

-It just does.

and some other stuff like Maff and fisiks.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I was amazed at the difference between a DHR and my old brooklyn. The BMW absorbed all the bumps in the trail impressively better than the DHR...but the DHR could out corner the brooklyn any day of the week. I find it hard to believe that axle path didn't have something to do with it, but I think that with a little tuning, your current bike could perform the way that you want it to.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I'm no engineer just a rider/racer. The last few seasons I was on a small Glory that had some mods to the shock set to my riding style, this season I purchsed an 08 round tube small DHR with the stock Fox shock and ti spring. So far I can feel just about no difference in riding performance just that my mind knows that i'm on a new rig, the DHR doesn't change my riding style. The DHR geo is setup almost identical to my Glory so I think that its all in the riders ability to just hang it out on the edge to get any advantage out of their bike. Just like all you Sam Hill fanboys riding iron horse and specialized rigs its not the bike thats fast its the rider.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
I ride a giant faith and I've mapped the "axle path" myself and it is in no way "rearward" at all (compared to any "rearward travel bike"), yet it "paves the path" amazingly well. Why? How? how exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work?

-It just does.

umm no guy. not trying to start an argument on the bike industries, just want some answers on how the turner feels in the rough compared to a multi link system that i have allways rode (faith and glory). but to say it just does what it does, like the sun. i mean really? you really think that? people design bikes

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
scrub, thats pretty crazy about feeling no real differnce, considering they are pretty different bikes. im staying with the glory it looks like, thanks everyone

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think some of the adverts really disinform people putting to much pressure on suspension(Shame on you Spec and Santa). Although it is a very important factor I'd easily choose a bike with the right geo, size, stiffness over susp unless it's very far from what I need.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
There is difference in how a singel pivot rides to a multilink maestro, vpp or DW-link. No doubt. That doesn´t mean that a vpp-style link is faster than a singel pivot, but it sure as he** feels different in general.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
yeah thats what im trying to some how get described to me. especially someone with experience. i realize this is a unrealistic request. test ride is not an option