Quantcast

Turner DHR '08 Rebuild

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Picked up an old Turner DHR '08 the round tube. Build wise im gonna build it from some bits lying about

08 Boxxer Team, Deemax(D321 ones) DHX shock just all pretty standard.

My question is or has anyone put offset bushing or slackening the head angle one degree more so make it 62" instead of the stock 63.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Picked up an old Turner DHR '08 the round tube. Build wise im gonna build it from some bits lying about

08 Boxxer Team, Deemax(D321 ones) DHX shock just all pretty standard.

My question is or has anyone put offset bushing or slackening the head angle one degree more so make it 62" instead of the stock 63.
Stock 63? You for serious Clark?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The only 63 degree headangle dhrs were the dw link ones.

There was a guy in israel that I bought a 1 1/8 slacker headset from who made them in his shop. Can't remember his name but I could probably find. He used to post here.

That said the easiest way to get what you're after (and the best way) is to drill the frame at the linkage like we used to do with the square tubers. It works with the 08s as well. There's also offset shock bushings but those get a little wonky with longer travel bikes because the non-concentric part rotates.

links in here

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
As far as I know they do not offer a 1 1/8 version and because of the small diameter of the head tube Works Components says you can only make a 1* version.
Ah right, there website isn't the best and I haven't massively looked into it. Ive ordered -1.5 degree offset bushings. So its a start.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As far as I know they do not offer a 1 1/8 version and because of the small diameter of the head tube Works Components says you can only make a 1* version.
correct. for a 1-1/8" external cup (ie the old school style that everything used to be) only 1° is possible due to the ID of the headtube. and yes it does increase the stack height. 11mm lower, 11mm upper, 5mm bearing cover, total stack height is 27mm. so make sure you have enough steerer length to account for this.

here's the works version, currently out of stock:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Theres a place in the UK selling angled headset https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm they are plus/minus 2.

Drilling the frame sound pretty hectic.
Wait till you realize your offset bushings don't maintain the offset as they go through the travel

There's nothing wrong with drilling the swingarm. It makes it a better bike. And as mentioned, a 1 1/8 offset headset is kind of a bummer because it also raises an already high BB.......AND puts more stress on that little headtube helping you ovalize it sooner. I had several of these bikes. Drilling is the best way to alter it.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You can have a machine shop do the drilling...probably only a few bucks...just get specific directions on what needs to be done.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
There isn't many machine shops near me but im sure i can drill it out if thats the best option. Pics i'll add some now.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The round-tubes were always one of my favorite-ever DH bikes...

I think I recall recall Turner clearing some out, in green no less, and me failing to pick one up at a ridiculously low price. Probably best, as I've really had no use for an absolutely pure DH bike since, but it still made me sad to miss out.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
If anyone’s wondering im between 40 with an ohlins cart and a ohlins re shock on the Lahar or Intend forks and shock.