Quantcast

Turner DHR vs. Ironhorse Sunday

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
I know this may be a commonly asked question but I wanted some opinions. I am looking to get a serious DH Bike next year. I am currently leaning on the DHR just because I like some characteristics. I like how it is plush and progressive and the turning is a well known strength. However the Sunday is also a great bike. It seems that one of the big strengths of the Sunday is pedaling efficiency. That is not a big importance to me but I have taken it into consideration. I would really like to get opinions from people who have rode both bikes.
Strengths of each ride and the such.
I currently have a Big Hit set up pretty good for DH so I was curious if anyone made the transition from a Big Hit to either of these bikes.
Also I do not want to offend people who have these bikes by what I have said as they are both top notch bikes.
Just asking for opinions.
If I had the money I would buy bizutchs DHR as that is my dream bike. :thumb:
Thanks

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
MX 887 said:
I know this may be a commonly asked question but I wanted some opinions. I am looking to get a serious DH Bike next year. I am currently leaning on the DHR just because I like some characteristics. I like how it is plush and progressive and the turning is a well known strength. However the Sunday is also a great bike. It seems that one of the big strengths of the Sunday is pedaling efficiency. That is not a big importance to me but I have taken it into consideration. I would really like to get opinions from people who have rode both bikes.
Strengths of each ride and the such.
I currently have a Big Hit set up pretty good for DH so I was curious if anyone made the transition from a Big Hit to either of these bikes.
Also I do not want to offend people who have these bikes by what I have said as they are both top notch bikes.
Just asking for opinions.
If I had the money I would buy bizutchs DHR as that is my dream bike. :thumb:
Thanks
OK newbie who can't search peoples opinion.

here is mine you instant gratification guy.

DHR

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
bcd said:
OK newbie who can't search peoples opinion.

here is mine you instant gratification guy.

DHR
I would have loved to search through 100 of info filled threads but alas I have tons of homework so the instant gratification method was the way to go.
Thanks though DHR are sick

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Red Bull said:
Im all over a Sunday next season. They corner SO well, definitely a step up from my Demo.
Yea I am not really sure but I like the DHR for the reasons stated. I just really want a serious DH bike.
Anyhoo you should come over my house soon. Maybe not this weekend but the next cause I have a race in NH. I found some really fast and flowy downhill trails that are really sweet.
Let me know
Chris

PS I am now a clipless pedal junkie :cool:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Ask Arcadian, hes riding a Sunday this year and rode a DHR last year. Both bikes are on my short list, and it all depends on $$$.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
you can't go wrong with either, they are the two best bikes on the market, hands down....

The geometry on the sunday is a little racier, so if you're new to the sport, the BB might be a little low(&HA slacker), where the turner is a little higher(w/ HA steeper)...the good thing about the turner is that you can drill it to match the sundays geometry pretty closely, and it will handle like slick titties.....the suspension on the turner is a more progressive, and a little more plush where the sunday feels a little snappier and racier....the both pedal well especially if you run a nice shock and set it up well.....the sunday is new to the market, but is proving itself brilliantly, where the DHR has been going through it's progression for at least 5 years, and in my opinion it has worked out 99% of it's bugs....I ride a DHR so I'm biased, but if someone told me I couldn't ride a turner anymore i'd be all over a sunday like a homo on a hot dog.....

P.S. the paint on the sunday sucks, but I'm sure by the time you would buy one, that would be worked out....I believe the sunday is a touch lighter as well

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Ian Collins said:
you can't go wrong with either, they are the two best bikes on the market, hands down....

blah blah blah

P.S. the paint on the sunday sucks, but I'm sure by the time you would buy one, that would be worked out....I believe the sunday is a touch lighter as well
Sorry, but when you start your post with that comment, it's hard to believe a word of what you say.

Two incredible bikes? Yes. THE 2 BEST bikes on the market, no. How is it possible for a certain geometry or suspension design to work best for everyone, everywhere?

Original poster: Test-ride is the best thing you can do. Don't let a bunch of people on the internet decide your next frame for you...

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
WheelieMan said:
Sorry, but when you start your post with that comment, it's hard to believe a word of what you say.

Two incredible bikes? Yes. THE 2 BEST bikes on the market, no. How is it possible for a certain geometry or suspension design to work best for everyone, everywhere?

Original poster: Test-ride is the best thing you can do. Don't let a bunch of people on the internet decide your next frame for you...

chill man....he's on the internet getting input from a broad range of people and what i posted is my opinion.....if he's a smart buyer he will look at everything that everyone says with an objective viewpoint....i doubt he will treat anyones particular opinion as gospel..... by the way...the "blah blah blah" part had alot of useful info

as far as test rides go, not everyone has the luxury being able to do that....that's why people ask questions here

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Sherpa said:
Ask Arcadian, hes riding a Sunday this year and rode a DHR last year. Both bikes are on my short list, and it all depends on $$$.
Sweet both bikes are so hot but so freaking expensive. It is tough to get money at this age when I put most of it towards motocross racing

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Ian Collins said:

The geometry on the sunday is a little racier, so if you're new to the sport, the BB might be a little low(&HA slacker), where the turner is a little higher(w/ HA steeper)...the good thing about the turner is that you can drill it to match the sundays geometry pretty closely, and it will handle like slick titties.....the suspension on the turner is a more progressive, and a little more plush where the sunday feels a little snappier and racier....the both pedal well especially if you run a nice shock and set it up well.....the sunday is new to the market, but is proving itself brilliantly, where the DHR has been going through it's progression for at least 5 years, and in my opinion it has worked out 99% of it's bugs....I ride a DHR so I'm biased, but if someone told me I couldn't ride a turner anymore i'd be all over a sunday like a homo on a hot dog.....

P.S. the paint on the sunday sucks, but I'm sure by the time you would buy one, that would be worked out....I believe the sunday is a
touch lighter as well

Cool thanks. I am leaning towards the DHR since it is known for the plushness as I do not want that snappy feel. Also this was my first year riding downhill but I have raced motocross for a couple years so the concept is not completely new. :)

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Ian Collins said:
chill man....he's on the internet getting input from a broad range of people and what i posted is my opinion.....if he's a smart buyer he will look at everything that everyone says with an objective viewpoint....i doubt he will treat anyones particular opinion as gospel..... by the way...the "blah blah blah" part had alot of useful info

as far as test rides go, not everyone has the luxury being able to do that....that's why people ask questions here
Exactly I just wanted to get some opinions. As for test rides does anyone wanna lend me their DHR or Sunday for a run down BMW and Alpine at Diablo
Seriously though I would not blame anyone for not wanting to let a stranger ride their pride and joy. I have to find a Turner dealer.
I hope to be able the ride the bikes before I buy them as it is a huge investment.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
I demoed both but it was this message board that helped me decide and eventualy I picked the Sunday.

During my demo rides I liked how the Sunday felt at realy high speeds and I did'nt like how the rear of the DHR stiffened under braking and how the bike bogs down on rockgardens and square edge hits.

Today after several rides on my Sunday (Team + 888RC with LS sleeve and low crowns , old Hope M4's) I can tell what I dont like in the Sunday - on my demo ride I was realy impressed with how the bike snapped out of its place when pedaling - at the time I realy wanted the bike just because of that .
After I got it I found out two things about pedaling - its not as snappy once the pressure in the chamber is lowered to the desirable 50-60psi , and pedaling like crazy is realy scary because the pedals hit the ground quite often .

Oops , pressed submit before I finished - just wanted to add that I realy like my Sunday - Its a very unique bike that handles very well and I feel like the faster I go the better the rear works - my 888 is bewildered by the work of the rear...
And I dont recommend putting a 888 on a Sunday - it sags too much and bobs more than a Boxxer , even with the LS sleeve.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bikes break. It's how a company takes care of you after the fact that makes the difference. Turner is a superb company when it comes to building quality, fast, fun bikes and their customer service and warranty are the best in the business. Ask anyone who's dealt with them.

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I have ridden and owned both the DHR and the Sunday...and i just sold the DHR...the DHR compared to the sunday is a plusher ride...maybe its beacsue one has romic and one has 5th elemetn...but i would recommend the sunday over the DHR....i find that it corners better than the DHR and its also very stable in corners and at high speeds. it also gives me more confidence to ride harder and faster! its a very good jumper as well...easy to get offf the ground and is very flickable. But one bad thing about the sunday is taht the pedal hits the ground quite often....but i guess it could be fixed by having a shorter crank....
I would pick the sunday!!!!
good luck mate

KC

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
MX 887 said:
Sweet both bikes are so hot but so freaking expensive. It is tough to get money at this age when I put most of it towards motocross racing
Not too long ago there were some on-line retailers selling 04 DHRs for pretty darn cheap.

There are also a lot of used DHRs floating around from people either just getting new ones or other bikes.

8it

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
NYC
If I had to pick between the Sunday and the DHR I'd pick a Chumba Wumba F4!

Just kidding, but either bike you get I'm sure you'll be happy. Check up on the recent OEM hardware issues that Iron Horse has been having (although they've been taking care of their customers I think it sucks having to miss riding to get OEM problems taken care of on a 2K+ frame).

563 740

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
North of Albany
As for test rides does anyone wanna lend me their DHR or Sunday for a run down BMW and Alpine at Diablo
You don't mention where you live, but Plattekill has DHRs as rentals this year. An all day "test ride" ought to help your decision.

563 740 said:
You don't mention where you live, but Plattekill has DHRs as rentals this year. An all day "test ride" ought to help your decision.
Man i was there a few weeks back and had brake issues with my bike and had to rent a beater.
Well much to my surprise the beater turned out to be a DHR with a romic and a DH40 fork. :eek:
Having never ridden either i was pretty exxxcited to say the least.
I ride a single pivot with a boxxer and yes the frame was great but after they fixed my bike i got to ride the same bumps and trails back to back on the same day.
The turner rode great but not awesome in my humble opinion but the fork really shined.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
MX 887 said:
Exactly I just wanted to get some opinions. As for test rides does anyone wanna lend me their DHR or Sunday for a run down BMW and Alpine at Diablo
Seriously though I would not blame anyone for not wanting to let a stranger ride their pride and joy. I have to find a Turner dealer.
I hope to be able the ride the bikes before I buy them as it is a huge investment.

well, If you have an MX background I think you may be more comfortable on the DHR....the suspension very closely parallels that of a mx bike(except KTM of course)....dave turner probably rides moto more than DH, so there is alot of moto influence....you make the call....the sunday is an out of the box pissed off race bike, where the DHR is a tad more forgiving...i'd rock either and be perfectly content

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
DHDror said:
I demoed both but it was this message board that helped me decide and eventualy I picked the Sunday.

During my demo rides I liked how the Sunday felt at realy high speeds and I did'nt like how the rear of the DHR stiffened under braking and how the bike bogs down on rockgardens and square edge hits.

Today after several rides on my Sunday (Team + 888RC with LS sleeve and low crowns , old Hope M4's) I can tell what I dont like in the Sunday - on my demo ride I was realy impressed with how the bike snapped out of its place when pedaling - at the time I realy wanted the bike just because of that .
After I got it I found out two things about pedaling - its not as snappy once the pressure in the chamber is lowered to the desirable 50-60psi , and pedaling like crazy is realy scary because the pedals hit the ground quite often .

Oops , pressed submit before I finished - just wanted to add that I realy like my Sunday - Its a very unique bike that handles very well and I feel like the faster I go the better the rear works - my 888 is bewildered by the work of the rear...
And I dont recommend putting a 888 on a Sunday - it sags too much and bobs more than a Boxxer , even with the LS sleeve.

Thanks great info. I was a little worried because of the low bb on the Sunday however it is still sweet. Also how noticeable was the shortening wheelbase of the DHR in real tech sections.
Thanks

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
The DHR rides way better with the Fox DHX vs the romic because you can tune the shock with pro pedal and compression blowoff.

Make sure when you ride the sunday to ask the owner if the 5th element got the shock tune from progressive, or at least set it for your weight.

Rumor has it that the DHR will get 1' slacker in 06 ... and slightly lower BB.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Ian Collins said:
well, If you have an MX background I think you may be more comfortable on the DHR....the suspension very closely parallels that of a mx bike(except KTM of course)....dave turner probably rides moto more than DH, so there is alot of moto influence....you make the call....the sunday is an out of the box pissed off race bike, where the DHR is a tad more forgiving...i'd rock either and be perfectly content
I was thinking the same thing about the DHR I am not sure I want a super low race bike but racing feel is nescesary. Thye are both sick bikes. If I really wanted moto linkage I could get a brooklyn. :eek:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
TurnerDHRider said:
I have ridden and owned both the DHR and the Sunday...and i just sold the DHR...the DHR compared to the sunday is a plusher ride...maybe its beacsue one has romic and one has 5th elemetn...but i would recommend the sunday over the DHR....i find that it corners better than the DHR and its also very stable in corners and at high speeds. it also gives me more confidence to ride harder and faster! its a very good jumper as well...easy to get offf the ground and is very flickable. But one bad thing about the sunday is taht the pedal hits the ground quite often....but i guess it could be fixed by having a shorter crank....
I would pick the sunday!!!!
good luck mate

KC
Thanks

I saw a picture of Sam Hill on a Sunday with the suspension compressed yesterday and now I can't find it any clues :confused:

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
bizutch said:
(I'm blushing)
for $50.00 security deposit, you can test ride mine at Diablo this weekend when me, Jeremy R and profro make the pilgrimage to that final race... :D
(Not Blushing)
I am racing my "other bike" this weekend :)

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Bacardi said:
The DHR rides way better with the Fox DHX vs the romic because you can tune the shock with pro pedal and compression blowoff.

Make sure when you ride the sunday to ask the owner if the 5th element got the shock tune from progressive, or at least set it for your weight.

Rumor has it that the DHR will get 1' slacker in 06 ... and slightly lower BB.
Yea I definitly want it with a DHX

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Also just wanted to say sorry for posting a billion times in my own thread just want to thank everyone for helpful info. keep it coming.

I am still leaning towards the DHR because of-
Plush/Progressive suspension
Higher BB-Less Pedal contact
Cool Moto stickies and beefy frame tubes :cool:

Thanks

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MX 887 said:
Plush/Progressive suspension
Which also has a forward wheel path – which means it will not absorb square edge hits as efficiently as the Sunday (parabolic shaped path)

MX 887 said:
Higher BB-Less Pedal contact
Not an issue. I really thought the low BB of the Sunday would kill it for me since I ride at North Star @ Tahoe a lot. But surprisingly enough it’s never been an issue for me. And like DHdror pointed out…the faster you go, the better the Sunday performs.

MX 887 said:
Cool Moto stickies and beefy frame tubes :cool:
Maybe you need a CR or YZ?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Acadian said:
Which also has a forward wheel path – which means it will not absorb square edge hits as efficiently as the Sunday (parabolic shaped path)

Yep I understand it will bog down in rockgardens and such

Not an issue. I really thought the low BB of the Sunday would kill it for me since I ride at North Star @ Tahoe a lot. But surprisingly enough it’s never been an issue for me. And like DHdror pointed out…the faster you go, the better the Sunday performs.

Thats good to know

Maybe you need a CR or YZ?
I currently race a CRF :blah:

By the way I am by no means bashing the Sunday only trying to figure out which bike is better for my style and for the trails I ride.
I am taking all opinions into account and it seems like the Sunday overall is the "faster" bike but that is just one part of my criteria :)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
My DHR is going to be mobilized for its 4th season next year.....if you do the periodic maintenance it should last you several years.

Not too many downhill bikes can handle that kind of mileage......something else to consider....

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
Also to Acadian I am not completely decided yet and have not in the least bit ruled out the Sunday. :thumb:
Not sure if it has already been said but how much would a 2006 white factory Sunday frame cost?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I personally dislike the DHR's feel Chris, and the Sunday just feels absolutely perfect to me. Felt as plush as my Demo, yet cornerd somuch better and has a much slacker HA (I run a 7" DH40) so would be better in the steeps...

1 vote: Sunday