Quantcast

Turner DHR VS. Ventana El Cuervo

funtimes85

Chimp
May 6, 2008
I am interested to find out what people think of these two bikes VS. eachother and other bikes. I am 5'6" and ride a small VP free which I find to be alittle long, which is the reason I am looking for different frame.

Please Help if you can!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The new DHR's are friggin SMALL if that's what you're looking for. The El Cuervo is more progressive (like crazy progressive to the point where you probably can't get full travel without running 50% sag).

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have a bunch of friends that have ridden the quervo's. They liked them a lot. I think those bikes run really small. The small is more like an extra small. All i know about the bike is that it goes through the rough stuff super smooth. I heard that it's mega plush, and ramps up hard so it doesn't ever bottom out.
Go to www.go-ride.com They are dealers for both of those bikes. They usually have their race team on the Quervo's every year for the past 5 years. They can give you all of the technical stuff you might be looking for.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
oh yeah. If i remember correctly, there might already be an old discussion somewhere comparing the two. Try searching for it. I know i've seen other people talking about it a while back.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you search on the ventana forum on mtbr you'll find a wierd linkage problem with the el cuervo, had something to do with side-to-side play or shifting of a bearing. No bike is perfect, both are pretty good bikes.

aj_gilbs

Chimp
Oct 8, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Call up the guys at Go-Ride.com. They used to run Cuervo's and now the team will be running DHR's for this year. They will know a lot about both bikes. They are both really awesome and have amazing build quality.

Nov 20, 2008
i haven't ridden either but the dhr looks cooler.

useless post, but i think the DHR is one of the coolest looking downhill bikes out

funtimes85

Chimp
May 6, 2008
Thanks alot for the help.. I was mainly looking at the later models VS eachother like 04's and 06's if that makes any difference.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
There is an extensive thread on here comparing the two. While the thread is a few years old, the bikes really haven't changed much. The DHR got light, and both of the bikes got smaller, but the linkage and wheel path is identical.
The new DHR is very light and rides that way. The newer sizing is perfect IMO.

If you search on the ventana forum on mtbr you'll find a wierd linkage problem with the el cuervo, had something to do with side-to-side play or shifting of a bearing. No bike is perfect, both are pretty good bikes.
Yeah on the first run about three years ago. They've since taken care of that problem with a c-clip in the mid-point of the four bearings.:cheers:

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
Can't talk about the Turner, but I have a Cuervo myself and love it. I really like the company as well, good people who take care of the people on their bikes. And the "electric sex tig welds"..... baller

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
There is an extensive thread on here comparing the two. While the thread is a few years old, the bikes really haven't changed much. The DHR got light, and both of the bikes got smaller, but the linkage and wheel path is identical.
The new DHR is very light and rides that way. The newer sizing is perfect IMO.
That thread was written by one of the Go-Ride guys and compared those two with the first V-10. I remember him describing the DHR as the most progressive, the V-10 as a total plow, and the Cuervo somewhere inbetween in the beginning half of the travel but in the end it got really progressive.

The Cuervo's a bit more fogiving than the DHR perhaps? As an old welder I can say that Ventana has THE sexiest welds of all bike manufacturers that I've seen! But the 08 DHR has sexier looks. :drool:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That thread was written by one of the Go-Ride guys and compared those two with the first V-10. I remember him describing the DHR as the most progressive, the V-10 as a total plow, and the Cuervo somewhere inbetween in the beginning half of the travel but in the end it got really progressive.

The Cuervo's a bit more fogiving than the DHR perhaps? As an old welder I can say that Ventana has THE sexiest welds of all bike manufacturers that I've seen! But the 08 DHR has sexier looks. :drool:
There is also another thread where I, and several other with extensive ride time on both give our 2c. While the thread is referencing the '05 DHR, the bikes ride the same only sized better. While I think Turner sacrificed some rear end stiffness on the '07 to save some weight, all in all the bike rides better.

funtimes85

Chimp
May 6, 2008

Is this the Write up about the three bikes you were talking about?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=20081

funtimes85

Chimp
May 6, 2008
There is also another thread where I, and several other with extensive ride time on both give our 2c. While the thread is referencing the '05 DHR, the bikes ride the same only sized better. While I think Turner sacrificed some rear end stiffness on the '07 to save some weight, all in all the bike rides better.
What do you mean sized better? Like the frame was bigger before?

DHJoyrider

Chimp
Jan 22, 2007
i had two cuervos in the past. they both broke. one they took care of well the other really poor service. the bike was still under warranty. the second i bought showed up with a crooked swing arm- they told me that was "ok- its not like its a road bike". all in all i think ventana quality is bs- im local to them (hour drive) but wont ever buy a bike from them- i have a 07 el cuervo u can buy- for cheap- only cracked once- after 3 months of riding. they told me they could fix it- i want a new front triangle- no go- so i took the bike apart and bought a canfield jedi. i was not happy how they treated me- and i was a loyal local customer- this being my third ventana. the bike was nice though- when it worked. i cracked swing arms and then a front triangle. i had the original geometry and the later version. i liked the original more than the later geometry bike- it was too low for Nstar- i broke pedals every two weeks- but the later model was stiffer in the rear. One of my bro's who lives in whistler had a cuervo also- he could never get the bikes links to stay tight. he ditched the ventana also- after they wanted big money to fix a poor design. My canfeild Jedi is way better for me so far.

funtimes85

Chimp
May 6, 2008
i had two cuervos in the past. they both broke. one they took care of well the other really poor service. the bike was still under warranty. the second i bought showed up with a crooked swing arm- they told me that was "ok- its not like its a road bike". all in all i think ventana quality is bs- im local to them (hour drive) but wont ever buy a bike from them- i have a 07 el cuervo u can buy- for cheap- only cracked once- after 3 months of riding. they told me they could fix it- i want a new front triangle- no go- so i took the bike apart and bought a canfield jedi. i was not happy how they treated me- and i was a loyal local customer- this being my third ventana. the bike was nice though- when it worked. i cracked swing arms and then a front triangle. i had the original geometry and the later version. i liked the original more than the later geometry bike- it was too low for Nstar- i broke pedals every two weeks- but the later model was stiffer in the rear. One of my bro's who lives in whistler had a cuervo also- he could never get the bikes links to stay tight. he ditched the ventana also- after they wanted big money to fix a poor design. My canfeild Jedi is way better for me so far.
WOW! sounds like you had a really bad experience with ventana, what size were you riding? Do you weigh alot by any chance?

DHJoyrider

Chimp
Jan 22, 2007
medium frame. 5' 9" tall- 190 lbs. expert level rider. it was a major bummer for me. every bike can brake- but their cust service was not good to me- on multiple occasions. id go with the turner or somthing else.