Quantcast

Turner+DW+DH

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Can someone fill me in a little more on a rumour I have heard regarding Turner dropping DW's design on the DH bikes.

The second part to this rumour is they will not be, in fact, offering a DH bike at all...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I heard DW was coming out with a new line of moisture inhibiting suspension forks.

The DW40 is right around the corner.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
pick up the phone and call DT. i was talking to him not long ago, and he said things were on track for late May production of the dw dhr.

btw i heard Fox is discontinuing the 40 since no one likes it. E13 is getting out of the chainguide business. Maxxis has decided to withdraw from the DH tire market.

can someone add some details to these rumors? :rolleyes:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
damo, what have you heard, and from who? Reputable sources or just garbage? I know the DW mafia will be all over this one, but it's been years since it was announced and he has plenty of other projects going on, stranger things have happened.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
damo, what have you heard, and from who? Reputable sources or just garbage? I know the DW mafia will be all over this one, but it's been years since it was announced and he has plenty of other projects going on, stranger things have happened.
You mean like halting R&D on the dw rfx because "it just wouldn't sell?"

Wasn't it supposed to be out by sea otter? kudo's for not bring a bike to the market that you don't think works DT, but -1 on promising it and having it just around the corner for the past 2 years. Even IH managed to make a pretty workable bike after a few years of testing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Even IH managed to make a pretty workable bike after a few years of testing.
.....and by testing you mean 'selling bikes with problems'

Just to refresh some memories here: DT said a long gime ago this bike would not be available in 2009 after they ran into some pivot issues. Since last summer he's been saying this will be a 2010 release.

They were shooting for sea otter. Suppliers didn't make that date. But sea otter was still only a week ago. And even that was just a 'we're shooting for it' date. Turner's been neither untruthful or deceptive.

Yeah I'm bummed it's not out too because I'm waiting for one. But I'm not under the impression that I got a personal promise from turner on some concrete date like some people seem to be.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
.....and by testing you mean 'selling bikes with problems'

Just to refresh some memories here: DT said a long gime ago this bike would not be available in 2009 after they ran into some pivot issues. Since last summer he's been saying this will be a 2010 release.

They were shooting for sea otter. Suppliers didn't make that date. But sea otter was still only a week ago. And even that was just a 'we're shooting for it' date. Turner's been neither untruthful or deceptive.

Yeah I'm bummed it's not out too because I'm waiting for one. But I'm not under the impression that I got a personal promise from turner on some concrete date like some people seem to be.
just be sure to PM me pics of yours before you post them on here. I call firsties.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just be sure to PM me pics of yours before you post them on here. I call firsties.
I'll be getting mine the same time everyone else does on this first run. The way the interweb works, there will probably be 10 pics floating around of frames sitting on some dude's couch while I'm chasing the BB on mine.....

You order one of these things?

I'm sitting here watching it dump snow outside and I'm still a month or two out of riding anything dh bike worthy. So while I'm not really in any big hurry, I can understand getting antsy with a bunch of stuff rideable around the country. Here's my rumor: waiting on fabrication. Then they'll need to get painted or anodized. Then the bag wine holders need to be mounted..... two weeks. :D

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I talked LJ at the Turner booth at Sea Otter and he said the first run is a small one and is almost all preorders. They are saying it will be here in June, with a bigger run right after that.

Personally, I've officially stopped waiting, I just rode my mates Jedi and it IS magic!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'll be getting mine the same time everyone else does on this first run. The way the interweb works, there will probably be 10 pics floating around of frames sitting on some dude's couch while I'm chasing the BB on mine.....

You order one of these things?

I'm sitting here watching it dump snow outside and I'm still a month or two out of riding anything dh bike worthy. So while I'm not really in any big hurry, I can understand getting antsy with a bunch of stuff rideable around the country. Here's my rumor: waiting on fabrication. Then they'll need to get painted or anodized. Then the bag wine holders need to be mounted..... two weeks. :D
Word, much as I like poking fun at turner, still gonna be a good bike, and cool to hear its actually gonna make it, and its not getting scrapped. Should be exciting to see and hopefully swing a leg over somebodies at tahoe this summer.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Rumour has it the pre-production models are failing, hence the extended 'testing time' and are possibly going to be dropped.

Rumour has it that they are losing interest in the small stakes DH game.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I can't reveal my informants...

Prove me wrong.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Rumour has it the pre-production models are failing, hence the extended 'testing time' and are possibly going to be dropped.

Prove me wrong.
sounds like what they said the first time...and I could see some possibility of lack of interest with the huuuuuuuge amount of interest in their XC etc. line, but there was also a huge amount of interest in the DHR...

I didn't expect you to say who said that, but rather was it some dude on a chairlift or a guy who should know a thing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Prove me wrong.

Rumor has it that any sentence that starts with that phrase is funny.

You sure whoever told you this isn't thinking about the fvcked up pivots on the handful of prototype frames that were around last year? Because those definitely did have problems and that definitely did set back production. But we're talking about two different designs now.

Cuz as far as I know there ARE NO prototypes of this final mockup until this first run is out.

I got a better idea. Prove you're right :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
so theyre selling it doing no testing at all?

this will end well
I kind of thought the same thing initially (especially with a lower claimed frame weight), but then remembered a few things.

I can't think of a single dh bike they've ever sold that isn't durable as hell. A few minor issues but they fessed up and took care of them. They also seem to take about 5 minutes with warranty replacements if there is an issue.

Their reputation is better than most in that respect.

The tweaks they've done are fairly minor in the stressed areas from what I've been told. I'm not too stressed.

I also may be wrong about the prototypes according to damo :D

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Well, Heres what Dave had to say regarding some of the stuff mentioned.

"We launched with 3 models and have been in development of the DHR for about a year and a half. I have made it very clear I do NOT want DHRs in 2 pieces or with linkage warranty issues, this being the first 'mini link' DH bike for Turner Bikes I want it to be solid outa the gate. Don't you?

Yep, only 3 models in production to date. But it aint like I have been sitting still. The RFX is now in it's 3rd iteration. The first version with the bendy tubes was whined about by some so much Kleenex stock went up. the we built a proto that most would find too close to the Highline and that would limit sales, and the whole RFX thing has been beat to death. It WILL be Made in USA and it will be expensive."

"Of course it is all about the paycheck! The elite can ride almost anything, look at the ****e ridden by the top 10 in the last several years. Mere mortals would be in a coma or straight jacket if we were forced to do top speed runs on what a super human can podium on.

Since the new DHR is so late in the season there is no chance of a WC level team, sadly I had to say goodbye to many of the teams we have worked with for many years due to the late delivery. We will get these things out there mid season 2010 and let the cards fall for 2011. If you know someone with a pile of cash to throw at racing TA, please give them my email addy will ya!

DT"

Just 3 minutes of searching on mtbr. Wow the interweb is mazing

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
So with all of these rumors, I wonder what DW's take on it is. Going from having the "best" DH bike for years to having none for a couple of years. It's gotta hurt, at least a little.

Edit: FWIW, the bike on display at the Sea Otter looked much better in person than in the pitcures.

Last edited:

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
^^So where does that leave us?^^
Who is "us". Are you a WC racer? If yes then that leaves you free to pay retail when they are available. Or you can jump on the Carbon V-10 or Giant or...[insert WC racer bike name here]

It is my understanding from the quotes that they will not have anybody racing a DW DHR on the WC. While this doesn't address your "rumor" about dropping the DW DHR "let the cards fall for 2011" They sure sound like it will be around for the next year at least. Manufacturing Economics suggest that there will be X number of frames made to justify making them at all.
I like to deal in facts so please spread the truth and when you hear a rumor pick up the phone and call Dave 951-677-1711. He always has time for addressing internet speculation about his company and loves talking to trolls who heard from a guy that knows a guy....:rolleyes:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I wanted this bike 2 years ago. Then I got a V10. Now I am getting a session 88. Who knows what I will be getting next. Don't you see?! My point is that the turner will never be available. EVER!
Well that's your own fault for getting upset trying to buy a bike that no one ever said was going to be for sale last year :D

Especially since two years ago this thing was nothing but a murmer and round tube single pivots were still new and in full production.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hey will: you can definitely take a run or two on mine........in I don't know.........july??
Yah, that was a not so subtle hint to you that you should let me ride it :D I'll buy you quantities of beer in exchange

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mario jumps on a goomba
Kimball might have a tumor.

It's emotional today.
seriously. This is a forum dedicated to rumors, news, and a little bit of biking. It's still mostly the offseason. I'm happy to hear anything I can about bikes until I can ride them. If somebody has some heresay on something about bikes, I'll listen.

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say this bike IS going to come out, at some point, and it will be pretty good, just like the rest of the "top 10" WC bikes out there. You know, Sam Hill STILL won the WC on a specialized, NOT a DW link bike. That awful Demo has an FSR linkage, of all things! Nobody can win on an FSR! It's inferior technology! And Peat was winning on V10s! Those are plow bikes! They can't win either!

TL;DR internet rumors are cool, this bike will be cool, if it doesn't come out, there will be other bikes that are cool.