Quantcast

Turner mod.. mod?

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Everyone knows of the now famous square tube mods on the 04-06 DHR swingarms and im planning on doing it next week

at work today a few guys came into the shop and we were talking about it. One asked about switching holes back and forth and if it were possible. I said i wasnt sure and had never seen a deff answer no, but most people suggesting not to.

However one of them being a machinist suggested making plates or "chips" to make it adjustable.

the chips would be a triangle configuration with 3 holes, 2 for the to bolt to the swingarm using the original hole and the new drilled hole, the the 3rd would be for the dogbone link and be centered over one of the other holes. flipping the chips would give you access to adjustable geo between the 2

would this work and hold up? would the dogbone being up a few mm cause any issues? im not the best with this stuff so any feedback would be great

here is a poorly drawn diagram:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You would also change the progression of the suspension because of the changes of the angle between the links..might work, might ride pretty bad.

This is the reason that when I drilled mine, I maintained the exact same length between the main pivot, and the link mount on the swingarm...so that the wheel rate would not be changed.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You would also change the progression of the suspension because of the changes of the angle between the links..might work, might ride pretty bad.

This is the reason that when I drilled mine, I maintained the exact same length between the main pivot, and the link mount on the swingarm...so that the wheel rate would not be changed.
When I worked in a turner dealer doing this, I was told by some really educated people that all you had to do was get a fastener (extra shock bolt), and a sleeve between either side of the swingarm dog-bone mount and tighten'er up. I never did it, so I am unsure about the clearance of the dogbone link, but the theory makes a lot of sense to me. You also might be able to get the right size rivet ???? But that could also really **** things up I guess.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
That would mess up the geometry of the linkage badly. If you're really careful about the material you trim for clearance you should be able to use the old hole.

This guy made more room than he needed. You should be able to leave a bit more. Since most of the force will be compression that tab won't have to work super hard. If it did break you could always just use the back hole.

Stolen from eMTBeeR:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I seem to recall reading somewhere that once you perform the mod, you really aren't supposed to run the link in the original hole. Something about there not being enough material for structural support between the 2 holes.

I'd say give Turner a call and see what they have to say. They approve of the mod and have no issue walking people through the steps to complete it.