Quantcast

Turner RFX Redux: To Valhalla

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Or to the old guys' version of it, I suppose.

I have been riding a full rigid Evil Sovereign, as much as I've been riding, over the past few years. (My old Z1 SL blew out, and because screw you, that's why...plus 1 1/8" forks are hard to find...)

Now is the time for moar squish, so I took this out of mothballs and will be frankenbiking it up. Thought it would be a fun buildup to share, and if anyone has old parts sitting around to throw at this, I'm all ears!

[/url]

Have components for most of a bike laying around, and will be checking my storage shed over xmas break for more bits.

Already ordered new offset shock bushings to better tune the geometry, which was always a tad steep IMHO.

Fork-wise, all I have that will work right now is this 7" Marzo 888, which...screw it, let's do this. Unless something better comes along in the Fox 36ish range, but most leads on good 1 1/8 forks are expired. I also have a lead on my very own 6" TPC+ Manitou Slider that I ran on a previous RFX, unused since then. Used to pedal that one everywhere. If I could find an older Fox 40 that can be dropped to 6" with the internal spacers, that'd be rad, too.

Single ring 9spd drivetrain since I have the parts; could use this old Heim guide to keep it in place, or find some castoff DH guide from somewhere.

Got a good UST 26" wheelset on Hadleys, meaning I guess could use a 15mm front axle too. Have a rear tire but need a front.

Definitely need brakes. Looking into used options, unless anyone has old Hayes Mags or something laying around!

Will keep up pics as I go.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
as a fellow Sovereign & RFX owner/rider, I fully support this post! :D

I have a stack of 26" Minions some new, a few good shape.

edit: I think I have a derailleur hanger for that frame too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
awesome, thanks! Lemme see what's in my pile in the shed back at my place (not where I am currently) and will let you know...a Minion might be perfect. I think I have a spare hanger somewhere but if you have an orphan, I can give it a home.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, yeah, cranks...might have an old ISIS or octolink LX setup in its entirety up in my shed, but would like to find some beater 2-piece outboard bearing set if possible.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Oh, yeah, cranks...might have an old ISIS or octolink LX setup in its entirety up in my shed, but would like to find some beater 2-piece outboard bearing set if possible.
I think I have some too.
Gin up a list and we'll start ticking off parts. I bet we have everything you need, collectively.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks! I was going to wait till after Xmas to see what I had in my pile in the shed, buuuut... :)

Stuff needed:
1 1/8 Fork (as described above...options to replace 888)
Chris King headset bearing cap, or replacement 1 1/8 headset (may have this in the shed)
Crankset/BB, pref 170mm 2-piece but 175mm also fine
Chainguide for single-ring 9spd; frame is a 2006 and has mounting tabs, or can do BB mount
Brakes (Have some rotors and adapters...some in shed for sure...might even consider mechanicals for now)
UST Tires (have one 2.3" WTB wolverine here already)
ODI clamps and grips (certainly have a box of these up in the shed)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Angleset?

An avalanche 170 66 would be hot, maybe even a 160mm fork to keep the front end down more on steeps?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I still have my 02 RFX laying around. Maybe some day I'll build it up, but I have far too many good memories to let it go.

That marzo is gonna feel so, so tall. With the 6" plates on the BB will be sky high. I found the best combination were the 5" plates and a 150mm fork up front. Unless of course you can get an anglesey like @Jm_ said and help keep things down.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have the offset bearings to tame the front a little... I know it's not optimal, but it's kind of a run-what-you-brung situation at the moment.

My old Manitou Slider felt great on there tho. Or at least it did on the 02 I used to have it on.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
JBP, I just had a set of XTs fail...ugh. Loved them, too...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That’s one area where new bikes are miles ahead, the squatty rear end with the high bb and a slack/tall fork meant it was a bitch to keep the front down on any climbs. It’s easy to overlook this and think that it won’t be a big issue, but it is IME. I think a partial retro version could be fun though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, there are aftermarket flat crowns on there, plus dropping stanchions low as possible, and the 1.5 degrees or so from the offset bushings, so it may be mitigable. We'll see.

That said, anyone with a better option on-hand, I'm happy to consider it...!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I got lucky and scored a Fox 36Van R off eBay for $200. The market for 26" forks is pretty soft, so there are some valid deals out there for minimal expense.

I do have a Super T laying around now. :rofl:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks! I was going to wait till after Xmas to see what I had in my pile in the shed, buuuut... :)

Stuff needed:
1 1/8 Fork (as described above...options to replace 888)
Chris King headset bearing cap, or replacement 1 1/8 headset (may have this in the shed)
Crankset/BB, pref 170mm 2-piece but 175mm also fine
Chainguide for single-ring 9spd; frame is a 2006 and has mounting tabs, or can do BB mount
Brakes (Have some rotors and adapters...some in shed for sure...might even consider mechanicals for now)
UST Tires (have one 2.3" WTB wolverine here already)
ODI clamps and grips (certainly have a box of these up in the shed)
I have an e.13/evil guide, but it might be a 2x. I'll check. I have a bunch of grips for you and a fuck ton of 26" tires, good ones. Send me your address and once I get my shit together, you will be a package in the mail.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Or to the old guys' version of it, I suppose.

I have been riding a full rigid Evil Sovereign, as much as I've been riding, over the past few years. (My old Z1 SL blew out, and because screw you, that's why...plus 1 1/8" forks are hard to find...)

Now is the time for moar squish, so I took this out of mothballs and will be frankenbiking it up. Thought it would be a fun buildup to share, and if anyone has old parts sitting around to throw at this, I'm all ears!

[/url]

Definitely need brakes. Looking into used options, unless anyone has old Hayes Mags or something laying around!
I strongly encourage you not to go the Hayes route. These days you can buy brand new options for ~$150 that will kick those Hayes up and down the block.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I strongly encourage you not to go the Hayes route. These days you can buy brand new options for ~$150 that will kick those Hayes up and down the block.
I guess I should look into that. All I have ever had are either Hayes mags, or Avid mechanical. But I have never had issues with my Hayes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If by ‘issues’ you mean stopping power, well then yes, you never had them. :yes:
My bike is 42# and I am 225, my brakes have never had stopping issues. I also think they have incredible feel for modulating. But I really haven't ridden much else.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ok, then...

230mm rotors!

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a bunch of 26" tires that are a lot better than that WTB if you want them. Mostly DHFs, Michelin WR2s and maybe a Shorty or two.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Man, you guys are awesome!

A guy I knew in college and then randomly ran into in an officer's club in Okinawa in 2000 just hit me on Facebook and offered me a full donor bike with a blown rear shock, a Specialized Pitch or something...it's got a Pike up front, so...SWEET! He said the Avid Juciy 3s are "corroded," but I'm sure I can get them working. There's an outboard-bearing Deore crankset, etc etc.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hell yes. I wanted to see if this was going to build up a viable machine for shuttles and stupidity...

Not allowed to import my motorcycles, tho, which is a bummer. Assuming I'll find an ancient enduro of some kind of general fuckery. And will be finding a project truck...FJ40s are thick as flies down there, I hear.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I will be able to pirate the headset from the bike I've got coming to me, but if anyone's got a Chris King bearing top cap, that'd be rad and let me use the headset that's already in there.

Actually, check that for a sec--the parts may be in the shed and I'll see about that at xmas.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Apparently it is an OEM-only Pike that lacks some of the zooty damping, which is fine by me. Doesn't look upgradable by Push or Avalanche tho.

I am likely going to try the 888 first for shits and (lots of) giggles. I bet I can get the front end not only tamed, but optimal. Slamming the stanchions low over the tire combined with flat crowns and the offset shock bushing angle-slackening and my guess is it's good.