Quantcast

Turner RFX Redux: To Valhalla

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Looks like that fork will be good on my (now-rigid) hardtail, too, if that works out better...winning today!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am likely going to try the 888 first for shits and (lots of) giggles. I bet I can get the front end not only tamed, but optimal. Slamming the stanchions low over the tire combined with flat crowns and the offset shock bushing angle-slackening and my guess is it's good.
That looks like one of the more modern 888s, so it will likely have a lower axle to crown at 7" of travel than any 170mm single crown fork.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That looks like one of the more modern 888s, so it will likely have a lower axle to crown at 7" of travel than any 170mm single crown fork.
It's a pretty OG 888 works...must be 02-04 vintage.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Seems like you're gonna rock that 888, but if you want a single crown with a straight steerer (ya know, for sick X-ups), let me know. I have a "vintage" coil 36 that might fit the bill. I think I also still have this beauty (which has the Marz crown bolt pattern) -

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
A fox 36 vanilla would be the fork of choice for this thing! (and/or my Sovereign, too...) Still gonna put the 888 up just to see, but all-round, that's the one fork to rule them all with this frame... Let me know.

Stem-wise, I already have the 888 stock integrated stem on there which is super light would be perfect in length for my application...

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Awesome, thanks--maybe I can scrounge a new slider for it. I never owned a 36, only an OG 32, but I loved the 36s I have ridden. I didn't know there was a cracking problem...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, a lot of them cracked in that area, as it was apparently pretty easy to tighten the axle bolts more than what was intended. Anyway, I will shoot you a PM when I get home tonight with the deets.
wasn't it also from people overtightening with the spacer shim removed?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have a bunch of tool boxes full of spare parts from the 9-sp era, SDG and Trans-AM saddles, ODI grips I won't use because I use Ergon's now. Be ready for the influx. Be ready.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"9-spd era." Kills me because I think about it the same way. Not-oddly enough, I was collecting 8spd stuff to use when I started biking in the 9spd era, lol, because it was "easier to adjust." And honestly, the one extra choice in gear ratios meant crap to me.

I'll give it to 10- and 11-spd...much as I've used them, single-ring, wide-ratio sets are a decided improvement. I have 10spd on my full rigid. :twitch:

I was gonna say, hold the phone on mountains of stuff, but since I can't bring the motos to El Salvador, I can bring piles of bike crap, and very likely leave it behind with some local riders or even a charity if I haven't put it to use over three years...if that sounds like a worthy endstate for your mountains of outdated crap.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So I just saw on eBay some 9spd cassettes with huge low cogs, like 42t. Is that really a working thing, assuming a long-cage derailleur that can handle the range?? Might be useful on this thing for now.

Having trouble picturing how the b-adnuster screw is going to accommodate that dinner-plate sized inner tho.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So I just saw on eBay some 9spd cassettes with huge low cogs, like 42t. Is that really a working thing, assuming a long-cage derailleur that can handle the range?? Might be useful on this thing for now.

Having trouble picturing how the b-adnuster screw is going to accommodate that dinner-plate sized inner tho.
I rode with 11-40T 9sp couple years ago. I had a 40T extra cog and a 17T that replaced 16+18T on a high end SRAM cassette. A longer B-bolt was also required. The setup worked fine.

1576590276503.png

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Innnteresting. So you leave off one of the small cogs on the small end of the cassette and throw the big one behind the spider on the big side?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"9-spd era." Kills me because I think about it the same way. Not-oddly enough, I was collecting 8spd stuff to use when I started biking in the 9spd era, lol, because it was "easier to adjust." And honestly, the one extra choice in gear ratios meant crap to me.

I'll give it to 10- and 11-spd...much as I've used them, single-ring, wide-ratio sets are a decided improvement. I have 10spd on my full rigid. :twitch:

I was gonna say, hold the phone on mountains of stuff, but since I can't bring the motos to El Salvador, I can bring piles of bike crap, and very likely leave it behind with some local riders or even a charity if I haven't put it to use over three years...if that sounds like a worthy endstate for your mountains of outdated crap.
I will be converting my RM7 to an 11 speed setup. I am waiting on the shifter now, XT stuff was cheap. These are 2001 wheels.

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
Or to the old guys' version of it, I suppose.

I have been riding a full rigid Evil Sovereign, as much as I've been riding, over the past few years. (My old Z1 SL blew out, and because screw you, that's why...plus 1 1/8" forks are hard to find...)

Now is the time for moar squish, so I took this out of mothballs and will be frankenbiking it up. Thought it would be a fun buildup to share, and if anyone has old parts sitting around to throw at this, I'm all ears!

[/url]

Have components for most of a bike laying around, and will be checking my storage shed over xmas break for more bits.

Already ordered new offset shock bushings to better tune the geometry, which was always a tad steep IMHO.

Fork-wise, all I have that will work right now is this 7" Marzo 888, which...screw it, let's do this. Unless something better comes along in the Fox 36ish range, but most leads on good 1 1/8 forks are expired. I also have a lead on my very own 6" TPC+ Manitou Slider that I ran on a previous RFX, unused since then. Used to pedal that one everywhere. If I could find an older Fox 40 that can be dropped to 6" with the internal spacers, that'd be rad, too.

Single ring 9spd drivetrain since I have the parts; could use this old Heim guide to keep it in place, or find some castoff DH guide from somewhere.

Got a good UST 26" wheelset on Hadleys, meaning I guess could use a 15mm front axle too. Have a rear tire but need a front.

Definitely need brakes. Looking into used options, unless anyone has old Hayes Mags or something laying around!

Will keep up pics as I go.
Is that the one you were riding in NZ so many moons ago?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Is that the one you were riding in NZ so many moons ago?
Who dis??

And no, alas, it's not the same RFX...I sold that one to a friend no longer on this board, and bought this one in regret about 2 years later, after the frame was lightened somewhat

Dougal still has the fork off that one, though, and I was gonna have him send it if I didn't find another solution! (I still might, just to preserve 1 1/8" options!)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
First of all, Jackalope rocks, and this fork is gonna be perfect.

Second, the 888 was last used with a 2.8 Michelin comp 32, and had plenty of clearance as currently set up...so looking at axle-crown, it doesn't look like it would be too tall for use as a shuttle bike either. (Which may be its ultimate use in Central America...but for now, singlecrown trail use...)
received_836352013484174.jpeg

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
Who dis??

And no, alas, it's not the same RFX...I sold that one to a friend no longer on this board, and bought this one in regret about 2 years later, after the frame was lightened somewhat

Dougal still has the fork off that one, though, and I was gonna have him send it if I didn't find another solution! (I still might, just to preserve 1 1/8" options!)
You tried to steal my cat

I also may have lost the details to my old account.

I also may have had my way with that fork as well. It rode nice on the front of a hardtail I built up.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Life ran away on me. I have all of next week off and will go box digging for you then.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't really "want" 9spd, but I have lots of components sitting around, so that's what it gets for now... Thx for the tip!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Don't really "want" 9spd, but I have lots of components sitting around, so that's what it gets for now... Thx for the tip!
FWIW I ride with a 9sp shifter/RD and 10sp cassette, with a few extra spacers. In winter, I use the top 9 cogs, in summer the bottom 9.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@stoney lmk if you're sending a care package, I've definitely got a der hanger for the RFX and if @MikeD wants them for the donating purposes I think I've got some 9 speed X.0 grip shifters and a few different front derailleurs which can go too. I'll take a look in spares today.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sure, guys, anything to send would be awesome. Like I said, I'll bundle it all, take it to El Sal, and leave whatever I don't need or destroy behind for bikers down there in need of parts...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I will be.
@stoney lmk if you're sending a care package, I've definitely got a der hanger for the RFX and if @MikeD wants them for the donating purposes I think I've got some 9 speed X.0 grip shifters and a few different front derailleurs which can go too. I'll take a look in spares today.
I can stop by on my way back today if that works.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I loved gripshift for DH. Let me grab a handful of gear when needed rather than sequentially clicking through.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Still happily use grip shift on 3 of my bikes 2 are 1x11, 1 is 2x11, but my DH bike is trigger.

Fucked up right thumb wouldn't appreciate trigger for trail riding.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
*Couple of pairs of flat pedals and grips added to the pile that @stoney is hopefully about to pickup shortly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I loved gripshift for DH. Let me grab a handful of gear when needed rather than sequentially clicking through.
It's pretty awesome on the fat-bike in the cold, keeps your fingers close together and never reaching for anything, which keeps em warm.