Quantcast

Turner RFX Redux: To Valhalla

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Guess I left more than I recall leaving behind in Africa. I got like nothing left in the shed here.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think this is off the wrong headset but if its the right piece let me know and I can it send down the road.View attachment 139232
I have one of these in the box too.

Box is getting loaded. E.13 2x guide with multiple mounting standard options. I have a ton of new or near new granny and middle rings if you want them. That is assuming you end up running 2x... 2 SDG saddles, 3x lock-on grips. I'm keeping my 9sp for Haley's bike. If you know your front der standard, I might have a few. I can throw front shifters too. Box is filling and I haven't gotten to tires yet...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Box is getting loaded. E.13 2x guide with multiple mounting standard options. I have a ton of new or near new granny and middle rings if you want them. That is assuming you end up running 2x... 2 SDG saddles, 3x lock-on grips. I'm keeping my 9sp for Haley's bike. If you know your front der standard, I might have a few. I can throw front shifters too. Box is filling and I haven't gotten to tires yet...

Thanks, guys! If you happen to have any King crown races, I could use an extra or two as well...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks, guys! If you happen to have any King crown races, I could use an extra or two as well...
I looked but couldn't find one. I did find some new minion dh tires though. A couple of advantage and HR2, but used. I think the HR2 needs a small sidewall patch though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Found a huge box of middle and granny rings but I am OK with taking them to El Sal for donation if you want to do that...

I will run single ring on the bike...not sure I want to deal with 2x; probably invest in a wide range cassette instead, if the bike warrants it.

Thanks again, man. (Et al!) You guys rock. Looking forward to getting back Thursday and hopefully starting to build it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You want those rings? If you are planning on running 2x, you'll never need rings again.

Edit: I'll give them to a bike charity here. That my is heavy and it's going in a wheel box because of the tires.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Back home tomorrow...have enough stuff out of the shed and arrived in the mail to start putting it together; can throw the wheels from my hardtail on for now too, as they have tires...depending on what rotor adapters are in my pile.

Thanks again to all contributors!!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Big box sent. You should be good on tires for a while. Some are steelbead, but brand new, so there you go.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
received_1000375410355496.jpeg

Humble beginnings

received_774508893025782.jpeg

Strange improvisations

(Eventually borrowed top cap from my hardtail...favorite move of the day was cutting a plastic shim for the wobbly derailleur bolt out of the plastic SRAM chain container I had just opened...)

received_594688107997374.jpeg

And eventually something like a bike appeared.

Shakedown ride today! Once again, thanks to parts donors.

Riding the front mech locked into place as an ersatz chainguide for now. Will get a little top-only guide, probably skipping a bashplate for time being. That little 30t ring should be perfect for local conditions...all constant up-down, compartmentalized terrain with no big descents but short, steep pitches in every direction.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What year RFX is that, as it looks more like my 6 Pack with the RAD tubing? I liked the 6 Pack better than the RFX frankenbike that came later (V2 or 3 RFX if you will, with the truss-design rocker link).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rear end TNT, so that half is post '08 isn't it?
Oh, I missed that. Strange, I thought they had gone back to round tubing then, as I got a later front triangle and it was round, that may have been one of the "in between" that had a shorter production run. Sweet rig though, I prefer the TNT. It's dynamite.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
06 as I recall...first year after change back to RFX from 6pack, also IIRC. It was green anodized which original owner had blasted and PC'd black (booooo!) which should confirm or deny its age...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
received_570435400407980.jpeg

Ohhell yess.

I haven't had that much fun clothed in years. It was like taking off the hair shirt of my rigid bike. I was worried it would feel ponderous, but it was liberating and super fast.

I am so glad I did this.

My tires, however, suuuuck. . Can't wait for Stoney's contributions to arrive.
(PayPal imminent upon getting home)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I need a new spring for the suspension... #50 more would be good, I think, and need to read up on spring swaps for fox fork coils. It was good fore and aft after much fettling, but could probably use a bit more spring and a little less compression damping.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Popping off little rises into banked turns was something I could sort of do on the rigid, with caution and a lot of work, but the sensation of effortlessly flying off, hitting the bank sideways, compressing the squish, and slinging around the berm was...just unbelievable.

I am so happy with this.

Can't wait to mess with the offset bushings. With the 888 and lower/slack angles this thing could be a mini monster.

Old school geometry, turns out, is still fun.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Back in northern VA now...

Bike uses a 7.5x2.0 shock; need #600 springx 2.25-2.5 stroke. (We aren't supposed to use a 2.0 spring on a 2.0 stroke shock because it will reach coil bind if bottomed, yah?)

Ed: Fox seems to spec a spring by the shock stroke it's for rather than the actual spring stroke, labeled 2.0-2.25" for example

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
View attachment 139644

Ohhell yess.

I haven't had that much fun clothed in years. It was like taking off the hair shirt of my rigid bike. I was worried it would feel ponderous, but it was liberating and super fast.

I am so glad I did this.

My tires, however, suuuuck. . Can't wait for Stoney's contributions to arrive.
(PayPal imminent upon getting home)
You'll enjoy them. Thanks for covering the shipping!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, if anyone has a DHX air or similar...I might be innerested...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Popping off little rises into banked turns was something I could sort of do on the rigid, with caution and a lot of work, but the sensation of effortlessly flying off, hitting the bank sideways, compressing the squish, and slinging around the berm was...just unbelievable.

I am so happy with this.

Can't wait to mess with the offset bushings. With the 888 and lower/slack angles this thing could be a mini monster.

Old school geometry, turns out, is still fun.

Modern geometry made bikes more capable. I am not sure it made them any more fun, probably less so if you aren't riding super steep stuff.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Modern geometry made bikes more capable. I am not sure it made them any more fun, probably less so if you aren't riding super steep stuff.
I do feel vindicated, in that back in 2003 I wanted longer, slacker bikes with short stems and short rear ends.

jimmydean, I was just looking for an air shock, not a bike... Since you're on the courtesy phone, though...are you still running Hayes Mags? If you are, I have a kickass selection of Dangerboy and GRC lever blades...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I do feel vindicated, in that back in 2003 I wanted longer, slacker bikes with short stems and short rear ends.

jimmydean, I was just looking for an air shock, not a bike... Since you're on the courtesy phone, though...are you still running Hayes Mags? If you are, I have a kickass selection of Dangerboy and GRC lever blades...

For whatever reason I have been thinking a lot about the history and progression of geometry. Short stems couldn't really work without wide bars. Wide bars really don't work with small clamping diameters. Long slack bikes really don't corner or climb well without a steep seat angle. Steep seat angles kind of suck without dropper posts. Super long bikes would be flexy or really heavy without carbon or really good hydroformed aluminium. So if you went back 20 years and built a bike with modern geometry, it would probably suck and you would want that twitchy and nervous bike that would try to kill you if you weren't paying attention.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My Nicolai BMXtb with a 50mm stem, widest bars I could find, and a 65-66HA with 15.75" chainstays was the closest I ever got to it...giant-tubed super-stiff rigid frame, of course, and the top tube was always about an inch and a half shorter than I wanted.

One of Cove's slalom-type AL bikes was longer and lower and I always wanted to try it. Hooker, might have been?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
For whatever reason I have been thinking a lot about the history and progression of geometry. Short stems couldn't really work without wide bars. Wide bars really don't work with small clamping diameters. Long slack bikes really don't corner or climb well without a steep seat angle. Steep seat angles kind of suck without dropper posts. Super long bikes would be flexy or really heavy without carbon or really good hydroformed aluminium. So if you went back 20 years and built a bike with modern geometry, it would probably suck and you would want that twitchy and nervous bike that would try to kill you if you weren't paying attention.
These are some astute observations.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My Nicolai BMXtb with a 50mm stem, widest bars I could find, and a 65-66HA with 15.75" chainstays was the closest I ever got to it...giant-tubed super-stiff rigid frame, of course, and the top tube was always about an inch and a half shorter than I wanted.

One of Cove's slalom-type AL bikes was longer and lower and I always wanted to try it. Hooker, might have been?
@SirChomps-a-Lot had one. Probably the most fun slalom/jumping bike I rode. The 4x was still a better race bike because the Cove was a noodle, but it was fun as all hell. We took turns jumping his bike and racing mine.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
@SirChomps-a-Lot had one. Probably the most fun slalom/jumping bike I rode. The 4x was still a better race bike because the Cove was a noodle, but it was fun as all hell. We took turns jumping his bike and racing mine.
Wait, I think it was the Stiffee SL I was talking about, not the Hooker which was F/S...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Yep stiffee SL. There was a roundtube version with a headtube guesset and a version with the shaped easton tubes (RAD?) and no headtube gusset. I think I had the roundtube version. I think it only felt noodly because of the qr fox fork (which eventually cracked at the dropout). I bet it would have been even better with a 20mm axle fork. It was pretty long and low for the time, but I'm pretty sure it was a 69* head tube angle. I wonder what the reach was on that thing?

The yeti 4x also had longer chainstays than the cove which was better for racing but worse for shenanigans.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yep stiffee SL. There was a roundtube version with a headtube guesset and a version with the shaped easton tubes (RAD?) and no headtube gusset. I think I had the roundtube version. I think it only felt noodly because of the qr fox fork (which eventually cracked at the dropout). I bet it would have been even better with a 20mm axle fork. It was pretty long and low for the time, but I'm pretty sure it was a 69* head tube angle. I wonder what the reach was on that thing?

The yeti 4x also had longer chainstays than the cove which was better for racing but worse for shenanigans.
Round tube for sure. The reach was super long, but that might be why it worked so well for both of us...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Chomps! Yeah, it was the RAD tubing the year I was considering buying one. Would be hard to envision that frame being noodly...!

In other RFX news, I am putting TRP Slates on the bike vice the beat XTs on ther e, which I found super cheap on fleabay. Alas, the rear (which I need more to replace the shot Shimano, which only sporadically decides to function) won't show in international shipping for another week or two, but after trimming the hose and rebleeding with an Amazon-procured kit, the front is mounted...feels nice and solid at the lever.

Messed with suspension a little more...learned about the Fox 'boost' compression damper on the fork and dialed a little propedal back in the shock. Firmer now, maybe too much so.

And here is the photo showing my twin obsessive threads on RM, together:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1577646802375.jpeg