Turner RFX Redux: To Valhalla

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What tires ended up in the box anyhow?
2.3 advantage, folding, used with lots of life
2.4 advantage, folding, used with lots of life
2.35 (iirc) High Holler 2, folding, used with lots of life, might need a patch (iirc)
2.4 Minion F, wire bead, new
2.? (Smaller) Minion R, wire bear, new

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Never used Advantages. They look like the ticket for a trail tire, for sure.

And I was using a Mobster/High Roller combo when Minions first came out, lol, so I've never used them either...looking forward to those for some real DH use, perhaps with the 888 up front.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Never used Advantages. They look like the ticket for a trail tire, for sure.

And I was using a Mobster/High Roller combo when Minions first came out, lol, so I've never used them either...looking forward to those for some real DH use, perhaps with the 888 up front.
You sir, are in for a world of amazement. I have run Minion F/R since they came out with a few exceptions. The Advantage has High Roller-like side nobs, so they turn very similar to them - you can push them super far, but they break very binary too!, the center nob bite for climbing though is really good. The Minion... Well, you enjoy the fuck out of those. You likely have never experienced traction like sticky-rubber Minions if you were on a Mobster/HR1 combo. Get a mile or two in on those to get the mold release off before you really push them though.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can't wait. I was riding Maxxis when the slow-rebound/super tacky compounds were just coming out, but don't think I ever had minions. I was on Michelin for a while, too. That big old Comp32 was big-bear-riffic, with a comp24 out back...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Can't wait. I was riding Maxxis when the slow-rebound/super tacky compounds were just coming out, but don't think I ever had minions. I was on Michelin for a while, too. That big old Comp32 was big-bear-riffic, with a comp24 out back...
Colin Bailey, Big Bear local, designed them to be better than anything available. Pretty much nothing has touched it since.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have been running an Assegai on the front for a month or two. It is kind of magic. Found myself in several situations where I would have died with a DHF. It will start to go then just grab on. It lets you know when you are being stupid, then saves you from yourself. Happy to see them coming out in trail casings.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
God, this bike was a good idea. Maybe there's something to all this mountain biking all the kids are talking about.

Another great ride today. It's so flat here, though. I can barely remember what it was like to ride a descent that lasts over 10-15 seconds and didn't go right into a ballbuster of a short, steep climb.

Also had a hell of a New Year's Eve Day ride with the kiddo.

NYEDride.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
God, this bike was a good idea. Maybe there's something to all this mountain biking all the kids are talking about.

Another great ride today. It's so flat here, though. I can barely remember what it was like to ride a descent that lasts over 10-15 seconds and didn't go right into a ballbuster of a short, steep climb.
You can't be that far from Harrisonburg.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, generally trapped closer to home right now...maybe one time before we're out of here...

I will get the downlow on the right trails to hit from you if I can break away and get there.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Also had a hell of a New Year's Eve Day ride with the kiddo.

View attachment 139743
#fuckingsquarestays

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You sir, are in for a world of amazement. I have run Minion F/R since they came out with a few exceptions. The Advantage has High Roller-like side nobs, so they turn very similar to them - you can push them super far, but they break very binary too!, the center nob bite for climbing though is really good. The Minion... Well, you enjoy the fuck out of those. You likely have never experienced traction like sticky-rubber Minions if you were on a Mobster/HR1 combo. Get a mile or two in on those to get the mold release off before you really push them though.
as nice as they advantages are i have them on my xc/trail bike now, as you just can't push them as hard as a minion (or similar, but better weight and rolling resistance). have put michelin wild rock'r2 tires on my megatrail.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
as nice as they advantages are i have them on my xc/trail bike now, as you just can't push them as hard as a minion (or similar, but better weight and rolling resistance). have put michelin wild rock'r2 tires on my megatrail.
They definitely aren't a minion, but they are better than a HR for the front and par for a HR in the rear if you are running something like a minion up front.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
offset bushings arrived!!! Sweeeeet! Been ages...holidays held up the order and postage I'd guess.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hmmm...no reason to press out the DU bushings if they're not shot, eh? I'll hold on to the replacements that came with the offset spacers till the day the current ones wear out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hmmm...no reason to press out the DU bushings if they're not shot, eh? I'll hold on to the replacements that came with the offset spacers till the day the current ones wear out.
Yes and thank you for not calling the spacers bushings :thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Courtesy of HAB, Maxxis Minion up front and Micchie WR2 in back on the Maxxis UST DH rims I had set aside for this bike. (Previously had been using wheelset from my hardtail, which had my only two tires on it...) Rotors and cassette to mount tomorrow morning prior to a ride at the techiest local place we have.

Offset spacers/bushings in, but didn't seem much of a difference in a driveway pedal-round. Am sure I'll feel the difference in use, though continuous descents are few round here.

Rear brake and chainguide are all the major things I can think of that remain!!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hell of a ride today. Mexican food and beer after, even.

Lower/slacker geometry is a subtle change, but welcome. I would guess my HA is around the slacker side of 67 degrees now, so not modern-bike-slack, but better than the 68ish it used to have, and the slightly lower COG was noticeable, too. Glad it wasn't too radical of a change, really.

Minion up front was perfect, but the Micchie out back was not happy in the wet and offered its opinions of that fact whenever going up damp waterbars or roots. Would love to ride it in CA, but for winter/spring on the east coast, I think a High Roller or Advantage will be the ticket in back.

Again, thanks to everyone who's been helping me with this project. The bike is just awesome.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rear brake woot! Fresh 180 rotor and TRP Slate installed. I like the way the front feels...expect back to be the same...still wish Shimanos didn't fail tho...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Image result for so say we all gif

Oh and the $6 Chinese ICGS upper chainguide I ordered off Fleabay arrives today...hopefully it does the job. Can't wait to get this locked-out front derailleur off there.

Ed: Went on super-easy; ground a little off the inner edge because of a tiny whisper of chain rub. It's a little flimsy, so we'll see if that presents any issue in use. Doesn't seem like it will. Also started breaking in the rear pads and rotor on the bike path hill in front of my house.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Got the tires and a grip o' grips and stuff from Stoney; thanks!!! New rear tire to go on today I hope.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And yes, of course, public thanks to 6th for the hanger and top cap and everything else!

Was below freezing and I have a sick kid at home today, so no riding, but I did get the gummy freehub cleaned and re-lubed and the High Roller mounted on the rear (plus the hardtail back on its feet after being partly cannibalized, and some motorcycle work, and a reorganized garage...)

I think there's really nothing else to do now but ride it, unless I'm going to invest in a 27.2 dropper post. Well, except maybe try to get the massive wobble out of the front wheel, which hasn't responded much to an attempt at a quick spot-truing. Suppose I should de-tension all the spokes and give it a fresh try.

Here's the bike as it sits.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And yes, of course, public thanks to 6th for the hanger and top cap and everything else!

Was below freezing and I have a sick kid at home today, so no riding, but I did get the gummy freehub cleaned and re-lubed and the High Roller mounted on the rear (plus the hardtail back on its feet after being partly cannibalized, and some motorcycle work, and a reorganized garage...)

I think there's really nothing else to do now but ride it, unless I'm going to invest in a 27.2 dropper post. Well, except maybe try to get the massive wobble out of the front wheel, which hasn't responded much to an attempt at a quick spot-truing. Suppose I should de-tension all the spokes and give it a fresh try.

Here's the bike as it sits.
If that's my HR, just make sure to carry a tube with you. I patched the sidewall, but you should keep a tube, just in case the patch decides to fail.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If that's my HR, just make sure to carry a tube with you. I patched the sidewall, but you should keep a tube, just in case the patch decides to fail.
Yeah, saw that guy in there. Always do carry a tube, patched or no! I break things and destroy tires...I tend to carry too much around to fix things.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Kinda knowing nothing about rear air shocks...since a used Fox RP2 seems cheaper than a titanium coil...should I consider that as something worth putting on? Keep the coil on-hand for heavier use?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kinda knowing nothing about rear air shocks...since a used Fox RP2 seems cheaper than a titanium coil...should I consider that as something worth putting on? Keep the coil on-hand for heavier use?
I hated those old serious fox air shocks on my 6-pack/RFX. They were beyond terrible, I could either run like 40% sag and get close to full travel occasionally, or run normal sag and never get past about 2/3rds travel, but either way I ended up with about the same amount of travel and under-using what I should have had. I even remember trying out one of those german company DH bikes with the adjustable geometry where you hold a lever and lean forward and it would sink the fork and change the travel. Even in the 8" travel setting, the rear end wasn't up to par with the 6-pack set up with a coil shock. The DHX was ok, it was a little spiky, but it was at least consistent across the board. I even tried a DHX air for a little bit, but it was obvious that shock was made to sell bikes in the parking lot, feeling ultra-plush, but blowing through travel like crazy on the trail no matter what you did. The bike really came alive with the Avy chubbie I eventually got, but it wasn't bad with the DHX. Once you have a good coil you kind of say "screw it" for any air shock, maybe nice to have one as a backup when you get the coil serviced, but that's about all. Much more than recent bikes/shocks, the 6-pack/RFX seemed much better suited for a coil.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Righto, then!

I was wondering why I even asked it...just time to ride the damned thing now, not fettle it.

Edit to add:. Avvy also worked amazing for me. I did the remote res. w 2.25" stroke. I would consider the avvy refit of the fox internals on both ends for this...but wonder if the money isn't better reserved towards a newer bike with current HT and wheel size/spacing, eventually...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Righto, then!

I was wondering why I even asked it...just time to ride the damned thing now, not fettle it.

Edit to add:. Avvy also worked amazing for me. I did the remote res. w 2.25" stroke. I would consider the avvy refit of the fox internals on both ends for this...but wonder if the money isn't better reserved towards a newer bike with current HT and wheel size/spacing, eventually...
If anything, get a shock chassis and send it to Avy for tune, rather than buying a new shock.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Righto, then!

A buddy (guy in DC actually) had Avy rebuild his Progressive. Once I email you both, you could have a person to ride with and an Avy to try.