Quantcast

Turner Sultan: The Jury is still out.....

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...still out wiping off their perma-grin that is!!!! What an incredible riding bike!!! I'll add some first ride thoughts later when I have more time...for now, have a look-see:

...Large weighs 28.5 lbs exactly on the Ultimate digital (w/ eggbeater pedals)

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...OK, a few preliminary post ride thoughts:

HOLY CRAP!!!!

Seriously tho, this is a very sweet riding bike. In stark contrast to the terrain of THC & IB demo day, my local trails are literally infested with exposed roots, rocks & clay-mud...very tight, cardio challenging singletrack that will wear out less experienced riders. I had a relatively brief ride today (roughly an hour) & my impressions are in no way definitive nor exhaustive....I fully anticipate being even further impressed

The first thing I noticed was the striking similarity in handling to the 5 Spot that I had ridden 2 seasons on...in spite of the Reba up front & RP23 in back (Spot was all coil dampers). The steering very intuitive, again similar to the 5 Spot. I rode steep ups & downs...severely tight, twisty local trails....completely soaked from the last few days rains, either the Maxxis Ignitors are a great tire for local terrain...or the 29" wheeled 5 Spot had improved upon the 26" incarnation in the traction dept.

It gets better, I was meeting a friend at the trailhead & didn't have time to thoroughly dial in the air pressure (FR & RR)...I gave it a bounce & it seemed pretty decent so I was off. After the initial descent of the ride, I immediately realized that the rear appeared to be a bit stiffer than I would likely set it up...I shrugged it off & plowed on, grinning ear to ear. 3/4's through the ride I pondered; "I wonder if the lock-out could still be on the RP23".....? Duh!!!! I know, I know....I am not one to miss such details, but I was hustling to get ready (bike built post UPS drop) & also had done some wrenching on the pals bike, so I had to load it up in the truck also. Either way, the trail suddenly disappeared beneath me. Exposed roots, rocks & jagged edges now seemed like a gravel road (comparitively speaking....I just rode nearly an hour with the lockout on! ).

I read the posts regarding the unweighted front issues Francois & Rensho experienced.....absolutlety nothing like that here...AT ALL. This beast is superbly balanced. Again, it reminds me very much of my 5 Spot. I stand by my initial hypothesis regarding their comments, from the pics they posted, I would guess the Med Sultan (smallest frame offered) was a bit big for them. All the symptoms they describe are a classic case of too-big-a-bike-itis

I have alot more time to spend on the Sultan, in many more environments...before I can definitively conclude on it's prowess. I also need to upgrade a few parts (bars are too narrow, I9 wheels to come, perhaps a Roco Air shock....yes, of course the rear will be powdercoated while I recover from shoulder surgery) However, the promise it showed me today is HUGE...I am convinced I made the right move with this one

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Maybe you didn't even need the FS after all if you rode with it locked out for nearly an hour. ;)

Just bustin ya.

BTW, perhaps that feeling Rensho and Francois experienced was due to their shorter stature than you? So perhaps the front end "feels" taller and more unweighted to them than it would to a taller guy like you. I'm 5'9" and the thing I noticed about riding my two 29ers was that I had to work harder to keep the front end planted on climbs due to the taller front end vs. my old 26ers.

Nice bike!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Nice photo!

A buddy of mine has been moved up to expert this year and is in the market for a full squish 29er for more comfort over his steel Walt Works. I told him that if he'd been looking last year for one, the decision would have been pretty easy. However, that's not true this year.

He's currently looking at the Sultan, Spider, RIP 9, Racer X, and Race Day.

He has a couple of pals up in AR who race expert on the Race Day and they are very happy with them, yet I don't see much mention of them on the various 29er boards.

I'd say he slightly leaning towards the RIP 9 but is seriously considering the Sultan based on his enjoyment of Turner bikes he's owned in the past but getting a good review of it has been tough.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I'd say he slightly leaning towards the RIP 9 but is seriously considering the Sultan based on his enjoyment of Turner bikes he's owned in the past but getting a good review of it has been tough.
The reviews have been so drastically different it's tough to get any sort of idea without riding it personally.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
The reviews have been so drastically different it's tough to get any sort of idea without riding it personally.
...I haven't seen any real differing reviews save the 2 from rensho & francois. I won't go into it, but suffice to say...they weren't very happy with DT's refusal to produce a small version. The reviews seemingly convey their frustration with that decision, coupled with their riding experience on a bike that was clearly to big for them to everyone who observed them on it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
...I haven't seen any real differing reviews save the 2 from rensho & francois. I won't go into it, but suffice to say...they weren't very happy with DT's refusal to produce a small version. The reviews seemingly convey their frustration with that decision, coupled with their riding experience on a bike that was clearly to big for them to everyone who observed them on it.
Is there a connection with Niner Bikes as well..???

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
For sure that is one sweet bike JNC.

I had a chance to play around on one for a short while in Moab. A 29'r is not my favorite kind of bike but the short time on it was great. For its purpose, I would say the Sultan hit a home run 1st shot. It furthers its Turner lineage with ride quality and class.