Quantcast

Turners cockpit measurement vs. reach and stack.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Turner has me confused. I am looking at snatching up one of the new DW DHRs when they come out for my new bike.
I know that Turner recently adopted the new Reach and Stack measurements but their "cockpit" sizing of 17.2" doesn't seem to make sense for either of those measurement as far as I can tell.

Maybe I'm slow and not understanding Reach or Stack. Anyone want to point me straight?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Thank you.

I didn't have a visual provided with the info that I read so I formed the idea that you were basically taking a downtube measurement.

Being that my current downhill bikes have a difference of .9" and I don't have a 100% postitive measurement of either bike reach or stack and I'm trying to figure what size would be best for me.
I took a rough estimate of 19" reach on my 24.4" TT Session. My 23.5" TT Foes is at the shop so I don't have a measurement.
I typically go for size medium bikes but being that I'm 5'11" Turner suggests a Large. I usually find that size Large bikes have too long of a wheelbase. I want a sub 47" wheelbase as our PNW trails are typically pretty tight and I'm tired of forcing a schoolbus through trees and corners.

I know the bikes aren't available now so it makes it tough to make a reccomendation, but I wouldn't mind someone maybe pulling some numbers from their Transition reach(cockpit)/stack and comparing it to their height. Any chance I can get some reccomendations?

-Kevin

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I think shorter chainstays will have a bigger effect on the bike being good for tight corners. My bike has adjustable length chainstays and I like to run 420mm or 430mm on the tight trails and 440mm chainstays on fast and drifty DH tracks. Anything longer is not for me.

If you tie a nut to a string and suspend it from a tape measure then you can get almost accurate measurements of reach and stack.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I agree shorter chainstays will help for technical tracks and tight trails. However, both my bikes have 17.5" chainstays and a 47" wheelbase.
I've got 5 friends with the V3 V10 which has a 17.4" chainstay and is FAR more nimble than either my Foes or my Session, of course the wheelbase is 2.2" shorter as well.

Basically I'm looking for a slack headangle, sub 11.5lb frame(with shock), that's nimble and plush, but stable at speed. I also want a low bottom bracket.
I'd prefer to get away from running a bike with limited shock options as well(10.5x3.5 on the Session, Curnutt 11.5x3 on the Foes).

-Kevin

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
evil revolt?
100% possible option. Those bikes are magic. Seriously, local rider/friend/customer Al Hansen got Phil Wierings Revolt to stand up on its own at the last Fluidride cup. You could touch it and move it and it would stay standing up. I know the Evil guys got some pictures of it. It was that offset shock I swear...

I'm still researching options.
So far I'm looking at the Evil, Turner, '10 Glory(when specs become available), V10, Session 88(we'll see what Trek does about my messed up Session 10 first though), the Lappiere 920 or Mondraker may not be too bad and of course the Commencal and Canfield.

I'm still researching all of them and I know I would have to pull a few strings if the Lappiere or Mondraker were to work out, but we'll just wait and see what works out.

turnerbikes

Chimp
Nov 20, 2004
When using any measuring system for anything, accuracy is paramount. Use a plumb line and a strong tape measure so that your measurements are accurate, the difference from frame to frame in reach and stack on the bikes is so radical you need to make a list to narrow down what you like.

The reason I recomend a Large frame at your height is that the DHR is more compact than many other brands, and if you were to ride the medium it would be way too small. The other thing that is obivious and one of the reasons for the Reach and Stack is that everybrand has a different opinion of what is small medium or large.

DT