Quantcast

Turning 40 - xc races....hardtail....carbon?

Ok monkies. I've been racing DH the last couple years and will continue to do some select races and riding. I have a santa cruz blur 4x that is my xc/trail bike. It's a lot of fun, especially when the trail gets vertical and tight turns, etc.! It's heavy though at 30 lbs. for a 4 inch bike. I've gotten more serious about my fitness lately (riding a road bike, getting my diet in line, did my first xc race in 20 years last week - got my azz handed to me by the way). I've been thinking about getting a carbon hardtail - looking at the Trek 9.7 or possibly a superfly 29er. I'm confused between wanting a 26 or 29er at this point, but have access to ride both bikes and that is my plan. My big question is will the hardtail wreck my back? I seem to always have back pain in the beginning of the season until I get more used to riding. Long rides bother it some too (longer then 2 hours). Will the carbon help some with back issues? I turn 40 in a couple weeks just for reference, but sure don't feel a day over 27 - after 11am anyway:biggrin: Keep in mind I have a 4 inch trailbike, a DH bike, roadbike, and even a slalom bike so this rig will be primarily for xc races and training. Thanks for the feedback.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey Jon,
I have raced 3 of those midweek Charlotte XC races now this year on 3 different courses (which is what I assume you would be racing most). And they are all super tight singletrack with a ton of quick acceleration changes.
I am no 29er hater or anything, but I think an ideal race bike for those courses would be a 26" carbon hardtail. I am really wanting that Specialized expert carbon hardtail, but with no dough for it, I am going to keep hammering on my Shova. It works well for its size.
Anyway, considering the rest of your quiver of bikes, I would get the best xc race bike for the courses you will be racing.
Oh, BTW, in that race at the Whitewater center, I lost both of my contacts somewhere around mile 7. I tried to keep going, but I kept clipping trees with my bars because I could not see. And the drive home was sketchballs as well. I was sitting 4th in points before that race too. Maybe I need to rock out my DH goggles at the next one. ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I ride a titanium hardtail, and I don't notice a different between that and my aluminum HT unless I am over 4 hours. Then the minor vibrations will make my body ache.

You know there are lots of options for 25-26lb FS bikes. The price is high, but you deserve it!

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
My big question is will the hardtail wreck my back? I seem to always have back pain in the beginning of the season until I get more used to riding. Long rides bother it some too (longer then 2 hours). Will the carbon help some with back issues? I turn 40 in a couple weeks just for reference, but sure don't feel a day over 27 - after 11am anyway:biggrin:
Probably depends on how bad your back is. I've had back problems for quite a while now, and I rode a hardtail on the local XC trails here in Charlotte for a few months. By the end of an 11-22 mile loop (depending on how many laps), my back was definitely feeling it. I recently picked up a Specialized Pitch for an AM bike. After riding that bike at Sherman Branch ONCE, I was convinced that I no longer wanted the hardtail. It was a night and day difference between the way my back felt by the end of the ride. Not only that, but the back pain no longer left me feeling fatigued by the end of the ride, and I can push that much harder the whole way through. I now put in faster laps, and have alot more fun while doing so :biggrin:

Hey Jon,
I have raced 3 of those midweek Charlotte XC races now this year on 3 different courses (which is what I assume you would be racing most). And they are all super tight singletrack with a ton of quick acceleration changes.
I am no 29er hater or anything, but I think an ideal race bike for those courses would be a 26" carbon hardtail. I am really wanting that Specialized expert carbon hardtail, but with no dough for it, I am going to keep hammering on my Shova. It works well for its size.
Anyway, considering the rest of your quiver of bikes, I would get the best xc race bike for the courses you will be racing.
Oh, BTW, in that race at the Whitewater center, I lost both of my contacts somewhere around mile 7. I tried to keep going, but I kept clipping trees with my bars because I could not see. And the drive home was sketchballs as well. I was sitting 4th in points before that race too. Maybe I need to rock out my DH goggles at the next one. ;)
Hey Jeremy,
Your right, I'll do most of my riding/racing in Charlotte area and mostly in the weekly series. Good feedback - considering the bikes I have it would fill another area. I'm sure you'll make up the points going forward. Maybe the DJ helmet with googles - might make people get out of your way. I had an ashtma attack about mile 5 in that race last week - had to walk for a good mile or so and rest/suck my inhaler until my lungs would let me finish. I got some work to do there! Somehow I didn't come in last though.

You going to be at Beatty next week?? I'm going to try it and pace myself this time a little better.

Jeff - think I saw you last Tuesday at Sherman on your pitch. Nice ride - Dave said you were trying to do the loop in 48 minutes, did you make it? I've got a blur 4x that I love, but wanted something different mostly for xc races. I figure I can switch bikes if my back starts taking a beat down. Maybe I can try and keep up with you at Sherman someday if you want some company.

Thanks for the feedback boys.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Jeff - think I saw you last Tuesday at Sherman on your pitch. Nice ride - Dave said you were trying to do the loop in 48 minutes, did you make it? I've got a blur 4x that I love, but wanted something different mostly for xc races. I figure I can switch bikes if my back starts taking a beat down. Maybe I can try and keep up with you at Sherman someday if you want some company.
48 minutes has been my fastest lap yet, didnt time myself the day I saw you guys out there. My average has been right around 53-55 minutes. Im usually out there every Tuesday and Thursday by 5 pm, let me know if you're gonna be out there and we'll set up a ride.

48 minutes has been my fastest lap yet, didnt time myself the day I saw you guys out there. My average has been right around 53-55 minutes. Im usually out there every Tuesday and Thursday by 5 pm, let me know if you're gonna be out there and we'll set up a ride.
That trail is so damm much fun. Just railing through corners at mach 3! I'll hit you up next time I can make it on a Tue. or thur.