Quantcast

Turning a Trail bike into an XC bike - Seeking advice

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here's the scoop - I threw my Z1 FR fork on my Cheeta Prowler and if all goes well it's going to stay there and that'll be my burly Trail bike.

So I was thinking that if it does work out - that I'll convert my Balfa Belair (frame weighs 6.5 pounds) into a more XC/Endurance race full suspension bike and lighten it up a bit.

Looking for fork and wheelset suggestions to lighten her up a bit - so what would you guys recommend.

The bike is designed around a 5" travel fork - so I was thinking maybe a Fox Float 130 or perhaps a Talas 130 (not sure if there is a huge difference in feel between the two).

What would be a good light yet durable and long lasting wheelset?

The bike currently has Mavic 519s laced to XT Hubs. The wheels have been strong and have performed great, but those XT Hubs are boat anchors.

I have a Thomson Stem, Easton Bars (may opt for less wide and lighter bars at some point) and an Easton EA50 seatpost (I keep an eye out for Thomsons though) Hayes Hydro brakes which get the job done, Fizik Nisene saddle which is very comfy.

So really I think the changes I'd need to make are in the fork and wheelset.

Throw out some ideas for me.

Oh yeah and I don't think I want to go all out bling bling on the wheels - so please no Chris King suggestions okay. :thumb:

Thanks!

Mark

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
MMcG said:
Here's the scoop - I threw my Z1 FR fork on my Cheeta Prowler and if all goes well it's going to stay there and that'll be my burly Trail bike.

So I was thinking that if it does work out - that I'll convert my Balfa Belair (frame weighs 6.5 pounds) into a more XC/Endurance race full suspension bike and lighten it up a bit.

Looking for fork and wheelset suggestions to lighten her up a bit - so what would you guys recommend.

The bike is designed around a 5" travel fork - so I was thinking maybe a Fox Float 130 or perhaps a Talas 130 (not sure if there is a huge difference in feel between the two).

What would be a good light yet durable and long lasting wheelset?

The bike currently has Mavic 519s laced to XT Hubs. The wheels have been strong and have performed great, but those XT Hubs are boat anchors.

I have a Thomson Stem, Easton Bars (may opt for less wide and lighter bars at some point) and an Easton EA50 seatpost (I keep an eye out for Thomsons though) Hayes Hydro brakes which get the job done, Fizik Nisene saddle which is very comfy.

So really I think the changes I'd need to make are in the fork and wheelset.

Throw out some ideas for me.

Oh yeah and I don't think I want to go all out bling bling on the wheels - so please no Chris King suggestions okay. :thumb:

Thanks!

Mark
I know a guy that has a Manitou Nixon.....is that in your budget? He says it rocks, only about 4.2 lbs, give or take. Touching back on the wheel issue. If you have the means, I highly recommend the DT 240 hubs laced to the XC717 with 14 g double butted DT spokes and brass nipples. Oooooo someone say nipples... :devil:

Mike

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
Meat Foot said:
... and brass nipples. Oooooo someone say nipples... :devil:

Mike
i use linseed oil and grease the eyelets and have never had a problem with alloy nipples. you have to make sure you use the proper spoke wrench, but other than that... they save a ton (almost 2oz. per wheelset) of rolling weight where it matters the most, as far out from the hub as you can get without changing rims or tires.

just my two cents.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
fatpandas said:
they save a ton (almost 2oz. per wheelset) of rolling weight where it matters the most, as far out from the hub as you can get without changing rims or tires.

just my two cents.
Cool, will remember that when I get my next set built (which is real soon). So, alloy is a bit lighter than the brass? Didn't know that. I just got what the shop "spec'd" on my last build. Thanks for the info.

Mike

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Meat Foot said:
I know a guy that has a Manitou Nixon.....is that in your budget? He says it rocks, only about 4.2 lbs, give or take. Touching back on the wheel issue. If you have the means, I highly recommend the DT 240 hubs laced to the XC717 with 14 g double butted DT spokes and brass nipples. Oooooo someone say nipples... :devil:

Mike
Nixon would be overkill and probably out of my budget. Perhaps a Minute 2 set at 130mm though.

Thanks for the tip on the wheelset. I'll keep that one on my list.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I love my TALAS... and I've heard a lot of good things about the Minutes. Keep in mind lateral stiffness when deciding on a fork. Instigator might have some good insight on the Minute. A Black with whatever their travel adjustment system is called (rapid winde down something or another) might be a more budget conscience option.

For wheels, I'm really happy with my DTSwiss wheels - 4.1D rims and Onyx hubs. If I remember correctly, about 1850g for the set and they have proven to be very durable.

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
MMcG said:
HOw much can different nipples actually lighten a wheelset?
the difference is the same as the difference between a crossmax SL and XL in the rear. and about half the difference between the front wheels. when you consider nipples cost like 5 to 10 cents a piece, you are looking at a 3$ upgrade rather than a 275$ one. seems to make sense to me.

PS, i am not implying that the only difference between the SL and XL is the weight, but that is what you are looking to do, lighten the load.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Jackson - now that the Talas is a true 130 and a little taller that is where I'm leaning.

Tell me more about that wheelset of yours - why did you choose it over the others and what were some others that you were considering?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
Jackson - now that the Talas is a true 130 and a little taller that is where I'm leaning.

Tell me more about that wheelset of yours - why did you choose it over the others and what were some others that you were considering?
You mean a true 130 as opposed to 125 in the past? Do you really think 5mm is going to make that much difference on the trail? I'm not argueing one way or the other... just seems like a negligable difference.

I bought it because I had read good things about the hubs and the rims, and because it's not something you see very often (I've always liked having things that were a little different than the norm).

Other rims I considered...
- Mavic XM819 (hard to find when I was buying)
- Mavic XM321 (was concerned about durability on a trail bike, could be a good XC rim)
- Mavic XC717 (concerned about durability)
- WTB Laserdisc XC (didn't know anything about them)

Other hubs I considered...
- XT (too heavy)
- Kings (too expensive}
- WTB (not highly regarded, though I had good luck with them in the past)
- Hope XC (heard the Onyx hubs held up better in the slop)

Complete wheelsets I considered...
- Mavic Crossmax Enduro (heard what a nightmare it was to have them adjusted)
- Spinergy Xyclone Disc (my top choice, just too damn expensive)
- Shimano WH-M765 (concerned about weight at rims and overall durability)

I decided on the DT rims/hubs because I never heard anythign bad about them, they were very reasonably priced, and they were fairly light. I think they are a great wheel for my trailbike... but might not be the best option for an XC bike as they are a bit on the heavy side. FWIW... I saw that the new RacerX is coming with 4.1D rims.

FYI... Speedgoat.com has a cool wheelbuilder tool - you pic rims, hubs, spokes, etc. and it automatically keeps a running total of weight and price. Let's you try a bunch of different options pretty easily/quickly to compare weight and pirce.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jacksonpt said:
You mean a true 130 as opposed to 125 in the past? Do you really think 5mm is going to make that much difference on the trail? I'm not argueing one way or the other... just seems like a negligable difference.

The new Talas is a little taller Axle to Crown - so it is that measurement - not so much the travel that interests me the most.

Thanks for all the wheelset info.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Minutes suck compared to the Fox TALAS...

Also, if you're looking to save a few hundred and don't want all the chichi adjustments the talas has, look into a 120mm Marzocchi Marathon S (Coil sprung), has a better overall feel than the Fox, IMHO.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've never tried a marathon but my TALAS RLC is really nice. I have it set at max travel and it does its job admirably.

As for wheels, it depends on how much you want to spend. If money were no object, I would say go right for Crossmax SLs or, if you want some more strength, Crossmax XLs. If something less pricey is in order, I'd match Mavic rims with Hope, Hadley, King, DT or Hugi hubs. All those are safe bets. When I was last wheel shopping for my XC/trail ride, I couldn't afford straight up C-maxes so I shopped around and made out with 2 good deals. I now run a Crossroc tubeless front and an 819/Hadley tubeless rear. Both of these have been flawless so far. Actually, if I were getting new wheels for an XC, I would DEFINITELY get UST. I have had the bike for a season now and ridden it in Jersey, Vermont and Idaho (not the smoothest places) and have never gotten a flat. I am a big believer in tubeless for XC bikes. I paid more for tubless and kind of got gouged on the tires (conti vertical pro UST) but it was worth it for no flats the entire summer or fall.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have a Burner for my XC race bike and run the FSA XC wheel/hub set. They are very light. For a while I was using my Burner for my XC and trail bike and had to have the wheels trued once do to jumping over logs. Other than that they work great. Not sure on the price, they where a sponser last year for my team.

I would highly, HIGHLY, suggest the Fox Talus RLC. I have it on my 5 Spot and love it....LOVE IT! I'm not sure if it's possible but I feel so much more confindent riding with that fork than I have ever felt on any other fork.

Edit: I did a lot of reading reviews, and asking my non-dh friends about forks before making the decision on the Fox. At first I was leaning toward the Mintue, but I didn't feel comfortable with some of the reviews on MTBR about it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've got a set of Mavic 317s now, and I still have my Manitou X-Vert air that I may try and send in to Manitou to get overhauled - Llike the TPC + damping system. But now I've gone and sold my Belair frame! LOL