Quantcast

Turning active Klipsch Speakers into passive.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
So, my active RP26F decided to break down.
The amp is dead (oscillator am told) and its not serviceable.

The speakers themselves are bi-amped. There is a set of wires for the woofers and a set for the tweeters.
Tried hooking them to my old school Onkyo amp, with some Infinity Reference crossovers I had laying around (they come from some car audio speakers I had, I suspect set somewhere between 2500-3000hz) and the sound is not optimal. There is a "hole" in the middle.
It appears, by my google research, the Klipsch speakers are to be used with a 1800hz crossover.

Now, what can I do?
1) I dont find it easy to find reasonably priced reasonably quality 1800hz crossovers.
2) Are there any amps that can be set for 1800hz tweeters, <1800hz woofers + subwoofer out?

Ideas? DIY crossover? New amp with that feature (do they even exist?)

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Also - match the Impedance of your High and Low speakers, if not just to what the power rating the Amp is rated for. Many are at 6Ω or 8Ω. If you have car audio driver, which would be 4Ω, making a series-load with an 8Ω woofer would make a 12Ω load at the amp, which would only trick the amp into needing to generate more power - which could create a smoother frequency response. Those two wired in parallel (most common) would have the amp near wide open at low volume settings, which is difficult to tame.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Focus on having a high-pass for the tweeters. If listening as moderate volume, nearly any woofer will be able to handle full range. If 1800hz is the only crossover point, which is very low for what's normally given to a tweeter, find a 3000-4000hz high pass at 6db. This will roll off gently and also allow the tweeter to dip more into midrange if that's a feature to it.
It's usually a 2" Cone Tweeter, a Ribbon Tweeter, or a 500.00 Ceramic Tweeter with frequency response that low. My Morel Tweeters spec down to 2400hz

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wow they are a pretty fancy pair of speakers, surely you could track down a replacement amp?

Can you find specs on the individual drivers? If you want to run them off only one amplifier channel you will have to attenuate the tweeter to match the woofers' output.
Otherwise you could use the rear channels(or B channels) on the amp for the tweeters and adjust the gain that way.

Dayton make some decent pre made crossovers at a reasonable price but I'd still want to know some driver specs before purchasing crossovers though.

I finally got to use my Umik-1 last week because my speakers had a weird hump in their output after changing to a new preamp thingy, being able to tune it out on the computer is gold.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Active speakers usually have a built in DSP, so you would have to do more than just a crossover to get them sounding good again. I agree with @HardtailHack that replacing the amp is your best bet.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Focus on having a high-pass for the tweeters. If listening as moderate volume, nearly any woofer will be able to handle full range. If 1800hz is the only crossover point, which is very low for what's normally given to a tweeter, find a 3000-4000hz high pass at 6db. This will roll off gently and also allow the tweeter to dip more into midrange if that's a feature to it.
It's usually a 2" Cone Tweeter, a Ribbon Tweeter, or a 500.00 Ceramic Tweeter with frequency response that low. My Morel Tweeters spec down to 2400hz
I havent been able to come with reliable tech data on this particular set of speakers/amp.

Klipsch only lists information for the R26 and R28 (the non-amped version of these speakers).
The tweeter is a "Dynamic 1" aluminum Linear Travel Suspension horn-loaded tweeter", crossover set at 1800hz
screenshot.2022-01-04.jpg

These specs sound about right to me. Right now there is a "hole" in the sound, somewhat above human voic frequencies. Its mostly noticeable on pop music.
Coltrane's giant steps and blue train sound about perfect, tho.

About the DSPs? What should I look for?
Will I miss too much by just going speakers+crossover+amp?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Active speakers usually have a built in DSP, so you would have to do more than just a crossover to get them sounding good again. I agree with @HardtailHack that replacing the amp is your best bet.
There speakers have been blown for over a year now.
I wrote klipsch about a year ago asking for a new amp. They agreed to send me one for free.

I forgot the answer the claim with my address.... they closed it and I got no amp.

I wrote them back again this week... hopefully klipsch CS is as awesome as they say, but I think am asking for a stretch.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
If you want to run them off only one amplifier channel you will have to attenuate the tweeter to match the woofers' output.
Otherwise you could use the rear channels(or B channels) on the amp for the tweeters and adjust the gain that way.
This is something I would want to do.
My receiver only has a low pass filter.

Are there receivers with both high/low pass that I could use as a crossover?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I have used a rather strange eq settings and it almost sounds "good" again
+2db on 500hz, +4db on 1000hz, +8db on 2khz, +2db on4khz...

There is no hole anymore... male voices are where they used to be.

Any idea (technically) on what I have just done? Any suggestions to make it better?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
If it sounds good enough to you then live with it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Klipsch finally answered my email.
My speakers are 3 years old..yet Klipsch is sending me a new amplifier covered by warranty.
Gotta say am impressed with that level of customer service.