Quantcast

Turning HT vs Squish

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
So I’ve noticed that on my dj hardtail I am able to rip the hell out of turns with some drifting and changing directions quickly. It feels awesome but my question is why can’t I rip the DH bike the same way? Sometimes I do but its some much more effortless on the ht. I race and ride a lot so its not for lack of effort. ideas..

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So I’ve noticed that on my dj hardtail I am able to rip the hell out of turns with some drifting and changing directions quickly. It feels awesome but my question is why can’t I rip the DH bike the same way? Sometimes I do but its some much more effortless on the ht. I race and ride a lot so its not for lack of effort. ideas..
Well just think about what you are saying. With a hardtail you have more direct input. When you ride a hardtail, you can also drift easier due to lack of traction.

When you are drifiting with a downhill bike, they are meant to grab the ground. Suspension isn't just for rock gardens and jumping, it is for cornering too. But generally with more suspension comes less manueverability (i.e. I couldn't hit mega steep bmx ramps on a downhill bike (or not easily), but lets see a bmx rider his a 40 foot double with a rough transition 20 times without being soar).

Also, try this in a gravel parking lot. You have to get going a lot faster on a downhill bike to drift brakeless than on a hardtail.

Another factor that may be affecting you are tires.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
I was thinking that maybe it has to do with the HT being lower. I guess it is the price to pay for 8' of travel. I run my bike kinda firm so maybe I will try it softer to see if that helps. If that helps then I wont mind the trade off of smashing my pedals more.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
hey paul these things helped me out a bunch
get over the front end more
lean over
look out/through with head and hips
slam the screen door shut on the exit
believe

OR

find the point /cut in the turn that you can use to support your wheels.
compress just before it/into it and load the bike up then as you hit the cut point let the bike unload and bouce you off of that supporting cut point and out of the turn

decide what type of turn it is before you figure out what technique to use. sometimes it is a mix of both drifting into the cut /bounce point.
see you inthe spring

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I also suspect it has to do with your suspension setup.

DJ forks typically are oversprung and have almost no sag. DH bikes will have at least 25% sag front and rear.

You hit a corner on a DJ bike, and your front end will not sag much as all. Same corner on a DH bike, your bike will flop around unless you preweigh the front.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Thanks for the tips guys. I wish the season was just starting not ending so I could have at the DH bike. The transition time is rough, no DH and waiting for the snow to pile up. See you in a couple months Jack.:thumb: