Quantcast

Turnover at Discovery

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
From Cyclingnews:

Discovery gains two, loses 11, with more signings to come
The Discovery Channel team has undergone a massive turnover of personnel for 2007 with the revelation that 11 of the team's 27 riders will not be riding for the team next year.

Last weekend's Vuelta a Espana may have been the final ride in Disco strip for riders such as Jose Azevedo, Michael Barry, Manuel Beltran, Viatcheslav Ekimov, Roger Hammond, Leif Hoste, Benoit Joachim, Gennady Mikhaylov, Paolo Savoldelli, Jurgen Van Den Broeck and Max Van Heeswijk, because they won't be lining up in 2007.

"After the retirement of Lance in 2005 it was natural for our team to begin making changes," explained Team Sports Director Johan Bruyneel. "The Team was built around Lance for seven years and as we move out of the Lance era we are now looking at new objectives in addition to the Tour de France. With those new objectives it is natural that we will make changes and that some riders will also look to make a change." Ekimov, who is retiring from the sport, will stay on at DCPCT as the outfit's Assistant Sports Director.

Joining Discovery's 2007 Pro Tour team is Slovenia's Uros Murn, who joins the team from Phonak, and Belgian Gianni Meersman, who will make his debut with the team. "Gianni will definitely need time to develop as a rider but we believe he has what it takes to be successful on the Pro Tour," explained Bruyneel.

The pair join Levi Leipheimer, Sergio Paulinho and Tomas Vaitkus who have already been signed to the 2007 squad, with more additions expected to be announced over coming weeks.

"I am very confident that we will continue to win big races in 2007 with our new roster," concluded Bruyneel.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I can't believe they are getting rid of Roger Hammond. He is a great classics rider... Tommy D is a great puff piece.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I think the lost of Azevedo and Beltran are the most serious with Salvodelli just below them. The others were support riders and can be interchanged one for another fairly easily.

Danielson is showing flashes of being that rider. Its obvious they have more talent than they can shake a stick at.

I've already heard that George is going to go back to focusing on the classics with a secondary focus on the Tour.