Quantcast

Tursday is here.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
At my last company, we had to walk change orders around for physical signatures. Sometimes I'd waste an entire day just walking around the facility trying to track people down. It was one of the most asinine things I've experienced in my career.
that's how my company was when i started here. there were certainly benefits to it, we were usually able to get a change approved in about a week. our current change process takes an average of 4 weeks.
Don't even get me started on that at this particular building. Its the same.

The worst part? Our ERP system and others have built in approval work flows to avoid that shit, they just aren't used because CLEARLY someone clicking an approve button vs physically signing is not moar better. :banghead:
I work for a large software company.
Our process for purchase request approvals is entirely email based, each next step in the approval chain you have to attach all the prior approval emails. I had to do 100 emails for a bunch of purchase requests a couple of months ago.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Given my appreciation for fine things, I have recently exchanged money to acquire a new knife and pen. I use both on a daily basis, so might as well have something I enjoy using.
So uh, what kind of stabber did you pick up?

At my last company, we had to walk change orders around for physical signatures. Sometimes I'd waste an entire day just walking around the facility trying to track people down. It was one of the most asinine things I've experienced in my career.
I don't know, endless signature seeking walks were one of my favorite tasks at a past job, could get 10-15k steps/day, and a shitload of stairs and still not find everybody, 'twas excellent. Now it's all digital and stupid.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
oh jesus. someone sent an email to the wrong DL. bracing for the incoming email shitstorm of "why am i an here / please remove"
bedlam dl3
There were two potential exposures, one was our trainer (most likely) or my new boss.
we are pretty damn isolated otherwise outside of grocery shopping.
So your trainer exposed himself to y0re wife, got it

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Our process for purchase request approvals is entirely email based, each next step in the approval chain you have to attach all the prior approval emails. I had to do 100 emails for a bunch of purchase requests a couple of months ago.
Holy shit, like save and forward previous email as attachment? So you have emails attached inside of emails which are attached inside of emails?

God damnit. :crazy::disgust1:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
My febrile kiddo is still borderline febrile this morning (100.8F or the like–101.5 is our cutoff) but she's on her Zoom school calls and seems perky enough.

She wanted me to stay home instead of going riding, and since it's cold and Longhorn still likely has some ice I obliged. Zoom meeting for me 12-1, then working 2-10 PM.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
kill list

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Holy shit, like save and forward previous email as attachment? So you have emails attached inside of emails which are attached inside of emails?

God damnit. :crazy::disgust1:
Correct.

Then when you've got all your approval emails inside your approval emails, your forward them in all another email to purchasing and hope they're paying attention.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm gonna save this and show it to any fool that says that government is inefficient and the private sector does things better.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Well, if she did, I didn’t see.
Shes a local badass named Crystal Wright.
Ooh, sounds like a good intro for a movie that @TN would edit.

And by that I mean jizz-color-edit, of course

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There's something very pleasurable about using a nice pen, isn't there? I bought an Everyman Grafton earlier this year, but that was underwhelming.

So instead I have acquired a Tactile Turn bolt-action pen. Should be plenty of fun to fidget with.

View attachment 152247
A coworker has one of those in titanium. It is cool and all until you have to turn around and attempt to cross the border back into Canada to because he forgot it in his hotel room and end up missing your flight.

Not bitter at all.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A coworker has one of those in titanium. It is cool and all until you have to turn around and attempt to cross the border back into Canada to because he forgot it in his hotel room and end up missing your flight.

Not bitter at all.
"Sir what brings you to Canada today?"

"I forgot my pen in a hotel room and need to retrieve it."

How'd that border crossing go? Were they wearing gloves?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
FFS dealership has fox news on blargh
I actually emailed a dealership (AutoNation Subaru Arapahoe), told them I stopped coming to their service and would be buying my next car elsewhere because they have Fox on vs. a neutral like BBC or market news (which is neutral). Even sent them a copy of the last service receipt which was over $2k and sales receipt for MIL's Impreza from the other local one to prove my point. I'm a spiteful SOB, but have stood by my word when I have the option to. It might not make a lot of difference, but I like to throw out my middle finger when I can if someone deserves it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Correct.

Then when you've got all your approval emails inside your approval emails, your forward them in all another email to purchasing and hope they're paying attention.
I just got an email from I think compliance, asking for confirmation of a $25 gift certificate my colleague bought for an event I was hosting because I forgot the one I did. That was held in Nov of 2019.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous

before you buy a new pen, you HAVE to check out all the great deals at Pen Island. I bet this is exactly what you're looking for. www. penisland.com
Weird. I can't pull that up on my work computer. Good thing IT is a bunch of go-getters today and already calling me about it!

So uh, what kind of stabber did you pick up?

I don't know, endless signature seeking walks were one of my favorite tasks at a past job, could get 10-15k steps/day, and a shitload of stairs and still not find everybody, 'twas excellent. Now it's all digital and stupid.
Zero Tolerance 0562 in Ti/CF.

20201110_192314.jpg

And not that the signature walks weren't fun, it's just highly inefficient to have a highly paid worker ambling around trying to find people and ask for them to sign something. But hey, what do I know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
"Sir what brings you to Canada today?"

"I forgot my pen in a hotel room and need to retrieve it."

How'd that border crossing go? Were they wearing gloves?
Getting into Canada near Detroit thankfully isn't that bad so the experience was just frustrating. Getting back into the US is another matter. US border patrol makes it a point to be assholes. I had a bunch of agents surround my car after "not obeying orders" after taking 30 seconds trying to figure out how to pop open the trunk of a rental car.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Getting into Canada near Detroit thankfully isn't that bad so the experience was just frustrating. Getting back into the US is another matter. US border patrol makes it a point to be assholes. I had a bunch of agents surround my car after "not obeying orders" after taking 30 seconds trying to figure out how to pop open the trunk of a rental car.
That sounds similar to my experience trying to get back into Canada the last few times. Basically waved through the border going into the US, but get questioned out the yoohoo coming back. One time coming back into Quebec from VT, they even made me show proof of ownership of my car.

:confused:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Life is shit at home, I did a 2 hour crisis intervention with the family support group yesterday. I feel like I have PTSD from dealing with my kid every day. Except it's not 'post', it's on-going. At least I'm in a position to ask for, receive, and be able to pay for help.
Sorry to hear. I feel like I have a PTSD from the year of covid and it is still on-going. Every morning hurts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That sounds similar to my experience trying to get back into Canada the last few times. Basically waved through the border going into the US, but get questioned out the yoohoo coming back. One time coming back into Quebec from VT, they even made me show proof of ownership of my car.

:confused:
Well the Canadian patrol seemed to be happy that we were doing business in Canada, US border patrol seemed to be pissed that we were doing business in Canada.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I made 8 border crossings in 2018-2019, and they were all surprisingly okay. Canadian officers tended to be a bit friendlier about the matter, US officers were in permanent bad cop role. They only opened up the door to our camper once to make sure we weren't moving bushels of weed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I made 8 border crossings in 2018-2019, and they were all surprisingly okay. Canadian officers tended to be a bit friendlier about the matter, US officers were in permanent bad cop role. They only opened up the door to our camper once to make sure we weren't moving bushels of weed.

I had an agent give me shit that I was driving a japanese car, I told him it was a rental. Then he asked what I drove at home, a VW. He then gave me a lecture on not buying US cars. I refrained from explaining that I refuse to buy US cars because I spent so much time in Detroit auto plants, I know how that sausage was made and don't want to have anything to do with it.

I am glad border patrol doesn't get political, I am sure brown people also appreciate it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry to hear. I feel like I have a PTSD from the year of covid and it is still on-going. Every morning hurts.
i've been going through all this while my wife is still recovering from a car accident over 2 1/2 years ago (that resulted in her losing her job and the loss of half our household income), all while trying to WFH and deal with both our kids.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had an agent give me shit that I was driving a japanese car, I told him it was a rental. Then he asked what I drove at home, a VW. He then gave me a lecture on not buying US cars. I refrained from explaining that I refuse to buy US cars because I spent so much time in Detroit auto plants, I know how that sausage was made and don't want to have anything to do with it.

I am glad border patrol doesn't get political, I am sure brown people also appreciate it.
He probably drives a US car made in Mexico.

Which is funny, because lots of "foreign" cars are actually assembled here. And a lot of the components in them are manufactured here. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
He probably drives a US car made in Mexico.

Which is funny, because lots of "foreign" cars are actually assembled here. And a lot of the components in them are manufactured here. :rofl:
Yeah. It has been a while but I have done work for domestic Honda, Toyota, BMW, VW and Subaru plants.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
My VW was made in Mexico and Acura in Ohio. Go figure.
Wife's FCA product was made in Ontario. My Land Cruiser is 100% from the Tahara plant in Japan, thank teh baby jeebus. Tesla was from old NUMMI factory in Fremont, the most American of the bunch.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
YAY TUESDAY!
Wifey tested positive.
kiddo and myself don’t know, we are getting tested as well. Wifey just had mild flu like symptoms, so far absolutely asymptomatic for kiddo and myself. We can’t really imagine that we didn’t get it too.
interesting times.
Shit, sorry to hear!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Crossing into Maine from New Brunswick many many years ago, I had a Border Patrol invite me inside their offices to provide me with the paperwork to claim my US citizenship. He had been asking me bunch of probing questions about my family history. I guess they could see that I regularly crossed the border in upstate NY, and I had to explain it was to visit my aunt and uncle. Then I had to explain that my dad had emigrated to Canada in the 50s or 60s, and that no, he was not a draft dodger, he was a priest. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and he asked if we were married, and we were not (thank the FSM). When he found this out, he said I would be able to get my citizenship, and went to get paperwork and provided me with all the addresses I needed, and explained the whole process. It was surreal. I did what he said because he had a gun. but man, I never asked to become a citizen... I was just on a road trip with my girlfriend!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did not participate in a mandatory workshop introducing us to a new, easy to use e-learning platform.
1) if it is so intuitive to use, then why have a 3 hours workshop for it?
2) getting an exception from the current 10 person rule to hold a 25+ person physical meeting with no masks but food on the table sounds like a REALLY good idea these days. :crazy:
Sometimes I question if I am really working together with above average intelligent people here at the university. :disgust1:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Why don't you feed him fake news: "Yessir, I coal roll a pickup truck with MAGA stickers and flags."

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
YAY TUESDAY!
Wifey tested positive.
kiddo and myself don’t know, we are getting tested as well. Wifey just had mild flu like symptoms, so far absolutely asymptomatic for kiddo and myself. We can’t really imagine that we didn’t get it too.
interesting times.
Dude. ++vibes.

Except it's not 'post', it's on-going.
Persistent Trauma Stress Disorder

Or Evan gave it to Ian a few weeks ago. It’s all FullTrucker’s fault! :sarcastic:
Symptom-free here, homey.

She wanted me to stay home instead of going riding, and since it's cold and Longhorn still likely has some ice I obliged.
Have heard it's good-enough-to-go, probably get after it this weekend.

Crystal Wright
I loved her as Princess Nut-her-butt in The Princess Ride.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Dammit, I was going to come down to Fort Collins next week and ride that new bike, I wanted to invite y’all to ride B**ck Sl***@th or something while it is still somewhat warm. Guess that’s out.

Last edited: