Quantcast

Tv Electronic Guru's

So I picked up a cheapy TV today to get by until I find a job, get a place, and get all my stuff moved here from Washington and the darn thing doesn't have a headphones jack...It does have several RCA jacks but I believe they are all input. I need to figure out a way to run some headphones off of this TV so I can utilize it without waking up other family members in "Their" home late at night.

Any suggestions? :think:

Man I can't wait to get my own place and stuff setup...I miss my dog too. :angry:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If you are sure they are all inputs, then I don't know of a way to. If there is an output, then go to radioshack and see if they have an adapter to go from the RCA to your headphones.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If they're all inputs, then the only way to do it is to somehow access the speaker(s) (this will likely either mean disassembly of your TV, or cutting a hole in the case), and ghetto rigging the speaker wires up to RCA-to-1/8" headphone jack cable from Radio Shack.

It's doable but it's not going to be pretty. It'll be easier if your TV is mono instead of stereo, since you'll have fewer wires to tape to the adapter.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if they're all inputs... None of my old TVs had outputs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Back in college I needed a headphone jack output so I could watch the tube without disturbing my roommate. I just went to radioshack and got an RCA cable kit, disconnected to wires to the speakers and connected them to the RCA jack, then connected the RCA output to my stereo. Of course you need a stereo that has headphone outputs.

Everythng work great until a few years later when I moved into a new apartment and had cable installed. Cable guy was trying to be nice and hook up all my stuff together. But I had a short in my stereo from a beer spillage and had 120volts floating around on one of the RCA inputs, that was the one he plugged the TV into. Blew up my ghettorigged TV.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
I just went to radioshack and got an RCA cable kit, disconnected to wires to the speakers and connected them to the RCA jack, then connected the RCA output to my stereo. Of course you need a stereo that has headphone outputs.
:thumb: Radio Shack has a cable to convert RCA to 1/8" or 1/4" headphone jacks, so you can plug the headphones directly into the TV.