Quantcast

TV vs. Projector

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So I just rented a house with my best friend, and we have almost no stuff to put in it. Right now I'm looking at TVs for the living room. We definitely want to go big but budget is limited. I've noticed projectors are about the same price range as medium sized TVs. Our living room would be perfect for a 70-80 inch diagonal screen covering a front window that we'd probably keep covered anyways. It's main use would probably be PS3 (gaming+netflix) and we're still deciding on whether or not we want cable. I could build a decent screen for the projector and ceiling mount the projector and picture quality would probably be pretty decent. Or for about the same price we could get a 42" LCD TV. Excellent picture quality, simpler setup, but not as big. Plus, unless we wall mount it it would take up floor space. Sound quality is not an issue because we'll be running digital 5.1 surround sound through the PS3. So do any of you monkeys own a projector? And if so, is it your main TV? What do you guys think?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
here is the dealio....

unless you are always going have your living room resembling a dark musty cave you will have to spring for a bright projector. I would not buy anything less than 2000 lumens and try and find find something brighter. if your going to be gaming you truly need 1080i with at hefty amount of interpolation. (chat with the best buy nerds)

screen material also makes a huge difference in the brightness and contrast that the projector puts out.

if you are putting it over a window you will need some pretty good blinds or covering behind the screen material you choose.

The other thought to consider is the bulb life of projectors is still not the best. and they are pretty costly so if you do go with a projector set up make sure you always have a spare bulb on hand.

and ceiling mount will be your best bet since you can customize the ratio to fit the screen size you like.

it can be done on a budget but there will be alot of differences when you get into contrasts, ratios, and resolutions.

I absolutely dig my projector setup but have gone through a ton of trial and error and big bucks to get what I finally like.

my jerry springer final thought.

you will be disappointed in the performance of most projectors in the ambient light scenarios, but the lights out style gaming with a good resolution projector is radder than rad with a good 7.1 surround system

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Looks like you covered pretty much everything I've been researching for the past hour in one post.. :thumb:

The front window would be completely covered by the screen but there would be some ambient light from the kitchen. I was planning on getting the screen material and making my own frame to put it on. I'll have to check out the living room again before I decide. It would be awesome to have a projector, but the way it's looking, we might be better off with a LCD TV.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have a proyector (office/living room), a 3d led (tv room), an lcd (kitchen), a plasma (my room), and a dlp (old tv at tv room. still in service at the housekeeper´s room). all of them between 42" and 55".

plasma wins, hands down.
2nd place, is the 3d led. its pretty kickass, plus it has internet connection and lots of other ****.

proyector is the least favourite. it barely gets any use.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
something else to consider - if you're on a tight monthly budget (sounds like you are), with TV's the size you are looking at there will be a noticeable bump in your electrical bill, so do your research regarding power consumption. I know plasma models consistently provide the best picture, but they are also the most power consuming technology.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
something else to consider - if you're on a tight monthly budget (sounds like you are), with TV's the size you are looking at there will be a noticeable bump in your electrical bill, so do your research regarding power consumption. I know plasma models consistently provide the best picture, but they are also the most power consuming technology.
If you are comparing a 55" LED backlit LCD and 55" Plasma the difference is roughly 100 watts (100 vs 250 watts). Turn one incandescent light off in your house while watching and you've made up the difference.

A 2000 lumen HD projector will consume even more power than either, around another 50 watts more than a plasma at around 300 watts and they have no speakers (not that flat panel speakers sounds great).

A rear projection laser TV beats all with a 75" Mitsubishi Laservue only using about 75 watts total calibrated.

You can save a fair bit of power by not buying a huge speaker system with inefficient amps.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks like you covered pretty much everything I've been researching for the past hour in one post.. :thumb:

The front window would be completely covered by the screen but there would be some ambient light from the kitchen. I was planning on getting the screen material and making my own frame to put it on. I'll have to check out the living room again before I decide. It would be awesome to have a projector, but the way it's looking, we might be better off with a LCD TV.
I'm curious what is your budget? Around here electronics is pretty expensive and I got a banging Toshiba LCD with great upscaling and very fluid picture quality for 650$. 40'' and that was quite quite some time ago. Unless you are going with a sub 1k$ projector you can easily go over 42''. 46 inches Toshiba screens are awesome. Just do some research. If you go with a few other companies and look around I'm sure there are models without some stupid flashy gizmos but with great quality and large screen size.

Going projector takes too much work and in the long run will be more expensive. Also with modern LCD screens you don't need to go LED. Stereoscopic (not 3d ffs) TVs suck anyway so don't pay extra for that unless there is no option.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Our closest neighbors are about 75yds away. That is not an option. :D

And Norbar I don't really have a set budget, it increases as I save up. I'm at about $350 right now but I'll probably cap it at about $500 if possible.
500$? The projector lenses are stupid expensive so with that Budget I'd stay away. I'd say buy a bigger version of what I have - Toshiba 40XV733 (supposedly XV has better quality for fast movement so bike and action movies). It's cheap because the sound quality is crap but that's not what TVs are for. The picture quality is great and toshiba has one of the best looking SD picures on the market. Though I think the names are different for the US market, still you don't pay for the brand so you can get them 25% cheaper than Sony. That means 1-2 sizes up.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So save the $500 and when you get done with school go somewhere cool. F**k. What the hell is wrong with kids these days? :confused:
Tbh a year ago I also bought a TV and I'm 25 now but I'm a huge movie nerd. Would probably still do it if my father didn't support my biking hobby though I'd for sure go smaller. On a tight budget I'd get something 37'' for 350-400$. Maybe some refurb or something used for even less. As for the sound system - DIY is the cheapest way to go. Buy something cheap and pick it apart.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Where I go to school isn't exactly an unfortunate place to live :rolleyes:

But if it makes you feel any better I'm going to Patagonia when I graduate in ~2 years.
your snow isn't soft enough for SkaredShtles tired old knees....nor are your mountains high enough....:D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Our closest neighbors are about 75yds away. That is not an option. :D

And Norbar I don't really have a set budget, it increases as I save up. I'm at about $350 right now but I'll probably cap it at about $500 if possible.
so wait, you want a reasonably large TV AND an audio setup... and your budget is $500? :rofl:

edit:.... AND a ps3? unless you already have one that's half your budget right there.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
so wait, you want a reasonably large TV AND an audio setup... and your budget is $500? :rofl:

edit:.... AND a ps3? unless you already have one that's half your budget right there.
I could be wrong but I read that as the TV / projector+screen's budget was $500, as opposed to TV+surround sound+PS3+...

My vote is Samsung's 43" plasma. You can get it for $480, sports/video games look great on it, and the only downside to it is the fact that it's only 720p and the glare is pretty bad. If you can eliminate the glare and don't care that it's 720p, it's incredible.

Wall mounts aren't that expensive and can save you a ton of space as well.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008

Have the PS3, have the bangin sound system. That budget is just for the TV. I might end up going with the Toshiba like Norbar was saying. Wally world has the 40" refurbed for $330. The less money I spend on a TV the more I can ultimately spend on beer! :thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you are looking to spend $500, dont even bother looking at a fpj. everything in that price range looks like utter garbage, plus you need a quality screen too.
there are plenty of 1080p LCD's in that range that will blow any $300-500 fpj away.

I absolutely dig my projector setup but have gone through a ton of trial and error and big bucks to get what I finally like.
what problems did you have? screen matching and setup is fairly straight forward

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
if you are looking to spend $500, dont even bother looking at a fpj. everything in that price range looks like utter garbage, plus you need a quality screen too.
there are plenty of 1080p LCD's in that range that will blow any $300-500 fpj away.
That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to. Looks like I'll be looking for a ~40" LCD. Now I just have to pick one...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If you go with the Toshiba compare the different close sounding versions. They are often very similar and vary in screen and additional options by a lot. It may be 50$ retail (so probably less refurb) but when I compared it it was well worth it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'd probably take a look at Panasonic's LCD offerings. Even their low-end stuff is pretty good - IPS panels, decent features, etc.

Out of your price range but the their new plasmas look pretty awesome.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
If we get cable we'll go all out and get an HD box, So the input would pretty much always be HD

edit: @dante honestly I'm not extremely picky when it comes to TVs. Right now I play PS3 on a 19" Vizio LED tv :rofl:

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Can you find 120hz at that price range? If you're looking at 60hz for LCD, I'd definitely look towards plasma instead as 60hz wouldn't be that great for games or sports...
The one I mentioned is 100 or 120hz (drunk don't remember). XV vs RV that's the main differance. It should be super easy to get a 40XV733 under 500$ (or the US equivalent of it).

sstalder5 - if you are not picky just get something from the OEM screen producers or any crap that has 1080p. Spending a lot of money on something you don't care about makes no sense. Especially if it's for TV, not movies.