Quantcast

Twenty6 DM Stem..SHoudl I Be Concerned?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So just built up my bike and went with wide Answer Pt's, plan to cut them down to around 30ish but still kinda concerned about the Twnety6 Stem.

Looks kind of weak, especially with wide bars..should I swap out now while I can still return?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So just built up my bike and went with wide Answer Pt's, plan to cut them down to around 30ish but still kinda concerned about the Twnety6 Stem.

Looks kind of weak, especially with wide bars..should I swap out now while I can still return?

Ill start by saying I looked at the build on your bike NIIIIICE!!!!!! Good job and the new answer bars I need to get some... Good choice and what a SICK build man....

Its pretty stout theres been 1 broken one Im aware of but I still use it and beat on mine pretty regularly. Its a good stem, looks can be deceiving, it looks to narrow on the clamp on front as well as thin material especially for wide bars but it works well....

I was concerend with my original one but so far so good. Id like to try the new Hope stem/crown..

Im running dirty thirties so same width your running.

Its a good unit, I wouldnt concern myself with it... :thumb:

Make sure you even the clamp spread on top and bottom I slapped mine on and since readjusted it, not that it caused any issue but when somethings holding my face from slamming into it Id like to make sure all is good. LOL

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Someone should use a torque wrench on that. Just sayin'... :think:
LOL.... It slides bottom close or top close, you have to center it and then blot down clockwise to center it. I threw it on there literally and adjusted later.
That is the one thing Im not excited about, the gap you see there. The bottom is close to touching but not and the top has that amount of opening so even if its spread evenly between top and bottom isnt that a bit too much gap using ti bolts with the leverage that thing sees?

It has not been a problem but wouldnt that be something that should have a tighter tolerance or is it because of the PC on the bars???

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I'm sure you will be fine... Its a standard handlebar/stem, nothing special, just that the markings on the bar are make the stem look super narrow (they want you to buy their stem too). That being said their stem is really wide, which makes a lot of sense for a wider bar.

You could probably sell that stem used for what you can buy the answer stem new.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've heard of breakages before but I don't know if it's worth being concerned about. Everything I've heard has suggested they are stout and safe.

FWIW, I think they are switching to a wider clamping area on the new model.

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
I was pretty disappointed with my experience with twenty6 products.

I bought a direct mount stem and it had a fault down one side that split.
You get problems like that, so I got a replacement no worries.
The replacement wasn't machined properly in the bar clamp area - so I had offset steering... plus the anodising faded quickly (my bike is stored indoors in the dark btw)

Bought a Thomson X4 - light & wont risk twisting your forks on impact

Also I bought a set of the chromo axle pedals (that still cost a fortune), they didn't last long at all, the metal was really soft - even the axle nut disintegrated when I tried to rebuild them.

Bought some Atom Labs - harder wearing and cheaper

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was pretty disappointed with my experience with twenty6 products.

I bought a direct mount stem and it had a fault down one side that split.
You get problems like that, so I got a replacement no worries.
The replacement wasn't machined properly in the bar clamp area - so I had offset steering... plus the anodising faded quickly (my bike is stored indoors in the dark btw)

Bought a Thomson X4 - light & wont risk twisting your forks on impact

Also I bought a set of the chromo axle pedals (that still cost a fortune), they didn't last long at all, the metal was really soft - even the axle nut disintegrated when I tried to rebuild them.

Bought some Atom Labs - harder wearing and cheaper
I have a lot of buddys that run his stuff... not me though. Ive had a few bad customer service issues. The fading is common and so is flaking. One of my buddys bought the white levers and they started to flake. Both levers were different color underneath.

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
U.S.A. designed and machined including hardware, moto style clamp. Aprox 130grams W/ hardware. Currently undergoing in field and all associated load testing. 50mm length, standard zero rise and true zero rise(bottom of bar to top of crown) 100% cnc machined from 6061. Let me know your thoughts as I'm sure you will.

Attachments

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
the twenty6 sucks... i broke TWO of them - each one crash each.. first one got warrantied and got the 2nd one, which cracked in three places.

my truvativ direct mount stem has taken way harder spills and hasnt budged a millimeter.

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
I will be offering a 2 piece face plate which saves 5 grams. I just don't have them anodized yet. Also considering other face plate designs.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
The 26 is a very light 6061 stem. Seems A LOT more likely to break compared to a heavier 7075 stem like the Sunline... anyway, I'd sell the 26 and get a 7075 direct mount stem that weighs over 150 g.

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
The 26 is a very light 6061 stem. Seems A LOT more likely to break compared to a heavier 7075 stem like the Sunline... anyway, I'd sell the 26 and get a 7075 direct mount stem that weighs over 150 g.
Where on Sunlines web site does it mention 7075?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
the twenty6 sucks... i broke TWO of them - each one crash each.. first one got warrantied and got the 2nd one, which cracked in three places.

my truvativ direct mount stem has taken way harder spills and hasnt budged a millimeter.

Nice.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
LOL.... It slides bottom close or top close, you have to center it and then blot down clockwise to center it. I threw it on there literally and adjusted later.
That is the one thing Im not excited about, the gap you see there. The bottom is close to touching but not and the top has that amount of opening so even if its spread evenly between top and bottom isnt that a bit too much gap using ti bolts with the leverage that thing sees?

It has not been a problem but wouldnt that be something that should have a tighter tolerance or is it because of the PC on the bars???
My only contribution is that from talking to the guys at Thomson, they think people are nuts for running ti bolts on any stem because of the forces involved. I trust him because I've never broken anything Thomson.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
It just seems that the twentysix stems are turning out to be too light. Ya maybe only a few broke, but thats a few more than any other direct mount that is around. I have the function bikes integrated crown stem on my 40 and I love it.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Had mine a year now with absolutely no complaints ... and I stack it, too often
(I just typed this out with one broken arm)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The Twenty6 is 6061?

Hmm. I always assumed it was 7075.

I'll start by saying that I have no experience with this stem. Last year I did design and manufacture a direct mount stem for my own use. I calculated some load scenarios with a liberal SF and ran some tests in Cosmos to validate the design and make sure that it would withstand the specified loading. It was a nice little exercise in determining how to efficiently design a DM stem and also which areas would be under the highest stress/strain.

After that entire process, looking at the design of the Twenty6 stem kind of left me scratching my head. I'm not saying that the stem is prone to failure, but I would be more comfortable using other brands.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
The Twenty6 is 6061?

Hmm. I always assumed it was 7075.

I'll start by saying that I have no experience with this stem. Last year I did design and manufacture a direct mount stem for my own use. I calculated some load scenarios with a liberal SF and ran some tests in Cosmos to validate the design and make sure that it would withstand the specified loading. It was a nice little exercise in determining how to efficiently design a DM stem and also which areas would be under the highest stress/strain.

After that entire process, looking at the design of the Twenty6 stem kind of left me scratching my head. I'm not saying that the stem is prone to failure, but I would be more comfortable using other brands.
Cool! I've also gone into designing my own DM stem on Inventor and running it under the Stress analysis FEA program it has. Any imput as to how much force as a minnimun I should be trying and where exactly should I apply it?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
U.S.A. designed and machined including hardware, moto style clamp. Aprox 130grams W/ hardware. Currently undergoing in field and all associated load testing. 50mm length, standard zero rise and true zero rise(bottom of bar to top of crown) 100% cnc machined from 6061. Let me know your thoughts as I'm sure you will.
I was gonna say the design looked really good until I saw the M in front. I understand that brandind is something really important, but your killing your design with it...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
you should get the Answer stem to go with the bars. The Answer stem is WIDE, light, stiff and rad. get yours today.

im running a prototype Answer drop stem right now and its awesome i love it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I called Chris today about the stem, black is out of stock for a bit but the other colors are available... As soon as black is back in stock Im on the canfield, Ill use the tall bxr crown and slacken the HA a bit while lowering hte bars with his stem... SO win/win
What colors do they come in? Ive only seen black.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW

Man, I don't know how much of that is the stem's fault. I mean, you are riding a Banshee - I doubt 26 designed their stems to go 20 feet to flat off of a skinny.