Quantcast

Two Benadryl before bedtime: What will happen?

What will happen after I take two benadryl?

• Sleep like a baby

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Hallucinations

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Roofie-type response

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Up all night tweeking

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am taking two benadryl in hopes for some overnight relief from my poison oak. What will happen to me?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
nothing much other than a really good sleep. *may* make your HR a bit faster, or give you a dry mouth. don't take it with a bunch of booze, or any other sleep aids. i work nights, and take a 25mg some days when trying to sleep; no biggie. won't really do a whole lot of good about the oak, but at least you'll hopefully sleep better.

i've seen quite a few patients in the past in for trying to OD with benadryl (diphenhydramine) and it's always fairly comical. if you're going to try to off yourself with OTC medications, do some research first and save everyone some hassle.

(yeah, he's already in bed by now probably)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
when i take benadryl i sleep like a baby for 15 minutes then i am up all night tweaking with hallucinations. I can't take that crap.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You might be able to get to sleep but sleep researchers have found that alcohol, caffeine, and other drugs should not be taken less than 3 hours before you go to sleep. They disrupt your sleep cycle and you will not have complete restorative sleep.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
syadasti said:
You might be able to get to sleep but sleep researchers have found that alcohol, caffeine, and other drugs should not be taken less than 3 hours before you go to sleep. They disrupt your sleep cycle and you will not have complete restorative sleep.
but if you weigh that against not falling asleep at all, or taking hours to do so because you are so @#$%$^$ itchy fromt he oak stuff on you.......

i'll take the drugs!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
scrublover said:
but if you weigh that against not falling asleep at all, or taking hours to do so because you are so @#$%$^$ itchy fromt he oak stuff on you.......

i'll take the drugs!
He could take some topical OTC cortisone cream, calamine lotion, Aveeno, etc instead though...

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
laura said:
when i take benadryl i sleep like a baby for 15 minutes then i am up all night tweaking with hallucinations. I can't take that crap.
I absolutely loathe that. Every time I take some sort of medicine before bed I wake up in the middle of the night to people in my bed. All they want to do is build a glass tower and steal my sheets. I am not really in the mood to play, so I try to tell them to go away but they don't. Eventually I end up building the glass tower with them so they will let me go to sleep. Too bad once we are done some Italians want to come knock my tower over and I have to protect it. That same hallucination happens every single time.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
laura said:
:stupid:

Benadryl and Nyquil make me bug out. If I do fall asleep I wake up in the morning feeling like someone strapped a bag of concrete on my head.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've taken benadryl several times before bed. Once to relieve allergies enough to go to sleep (when I spent the week at my girlfriend's house, something in their house was absolutely making my sinuses go crazy, never had anything like that happen before), and sometimes just to make me drowsy.

It always works pretty well for me. The bit about restorative sleep might very well be true (I've read that a few places) but I never have a real problem when I wake up. I always feel refreshed. Probably shouldn't do it for weeks on end but a night or a few nights won't hurt.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
loco said:
Did you poop in the bed??? It makes me poop the bed.

For whatever reason, since I've been taking Claritin for allergies, I seem to be much less susceptible to poison ivy. It doesn't make you drowsy, trip balls, or crap yourself and it's available OTC now-a-days.

Just a thought.

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
Two benadryl before bed? You might have a hard time climaxing before you pass out, but that happens with Tylenol PM too :P

I always wake up feeling really weird after taking benadryl and the sensation lasts most of the day. Too bad it's the only medicine that seems to work for my allergies.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I started to get very drowsy, but I did ride 3 hours yesterday. I did wake up in the middle of the night, and I put some hydrocortisone on the rash, and went back to sleep.

No dreams, molestations, or pooping took place.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sinfield said:
Two benadryl before bed? You might have a hard time climaxing before you pass out, but that happens with Tylenol PM too :P

I always wake up feeling really weird after taking benadryl and the sensation lasts most of the day. Too bad it's the only medicine that seems to work for my allergies.
I don't know if you were kidding, but the main ingredient in Tylenol PM is Benydryl.

I wouldn't take it during the day, but I can control my scratching-instinct. When I am sleeping is the problem.