Quantcast

Two Big Announcements Coming Today

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Two big announcements are due out on Monday. One for Lance and one for Tyler.

Best case scenario: Tyler is cleared, Lance is going for the trifecta (Giro, Tour, Vuelta) and the hour record. And they line up against each other to battle it out in Georgia.

Worst case: Lance is retiring without riding the Tour this year and Tyler is banned from cycling for two years.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
At best, Lance rides the tour this year, and it's his last. And he tries the other big tours. At worst, he's done.

I don't think there's much hope for Hamilton.... but, I have no evidence to back that up...

So yea, no matter how you cut it, I think it's the last tour for Lance...

[end wild speculation]

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How is Lance going to Italy without getting arrested? Did that lawsuit get dropped?

I think Tyler is screwed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Who thinks Tyler is actually guilty?
I know little of the details but from what I understand the test has to either be completely bogus or Tyler has an undeveloped twin living inside his body so he could produce two genetically different blood cells. But why was he the only one the test failed on, twice. On the second part his case would be stronger if he had a second head growing from his neck.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tyler Hamilton Diary
By Tyler Hamilton
Apr 18, 2005, 13:53

The day they told me I had tested positive for the banned performance enhancing method of homologous blood transfusing I threw forward my arm, and said – “It’s a mistake. Take another sample”.

I was refused.

At that moment, sometime around 8 PM on September 16, 2004, I began the long process of trying to get to the bottom of those results.

There has been a lot of speculation about my case so I’ll try to set things straight the best I can issue by issue. Some of the details are more complicated than others but I’ll try to keep things simple. I have nothing to hide, and I don’t mind sharing all the twists and turns of my story with you. Even the parts I can’t explain. Here goes -

More...lots more...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Damn True said:
ANNOUNCEMENT:

Lance will retire after this years TdF. "Win or lose"
I cannot imagine the pressure that will be on him to repeat once again, knowing that it'll be the least chance sweepstakes for all his competitors who would love to have THAT notch in their belts. The world is going to throw everything, including the kitchen sink, at him...money no object. How the French, Italian and Spanish blood would boil to have him again towel off his jock with the yellow jersey and then ride into the sunset like Roy Rogers!

If he wins again and retires, what a glorious thing it would be! To retire on top with the streak alive - not like all the other notable sports legends who tarnish their legacies by clinging to the game embarrasingly past their primes- it would be poetry personified and beautiful beyond words. I pray that the coverage is less spotty and that the OLN and letour websites buy up some friggin' bandwidth. I cannot take another tour marred by suckass live coverage when it is this historically significant.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
llkoolkeg said:
To retire on top with the streak alive - not like all the other notable sports legends who tarnish their legacies by clinging to the game embarrasingly past their primes...
And who would that be?

Did Michael Jordan sucking at baseball or un-retiring and playing at a level no where near his former self diminish his legend?

How about Deion Sanders return last year and just sucking it up? I think he's the only person to play in two major sports championships in the same year? And be a contributing factor to boot.

How about Brett Farve? Sucking it up and still playing. Everyone loves the guy.

I can't think of any legend who tarnished his rep by playing past his prime.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
LordOpie said:
And who would that be?

Did Michael Jordan sucking at baseball or un-retiring and playing at a level no where near his former self diminish his legend?

How about Deion Sanders return last year and just sucking it up? I think he's the only person to play in two major sports championships in the same year? And be a contributing factor to boot.

How about Brett Farve? Sucking it up and still playing. Everyone loves the guy.

I can't think of any legend who tarnished his rep by playing past his prime.
Ever heard of Muhammad Ali?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
LordOpie said:
arguably one of the most famous, successful and beloved athletes of all times?

His legend was tarnished how?
Don't get me wrong- he's still a legend- but his last few fights were embarrasing and painful to watch...kinda like Larry Holmes. They showed him to be more mortal than demigod. If it was me, I'd rather go out on top than succumb to my vanity and cling to delusions of invincibility.

You'd probably like the old Rush song off 'Signals', The Bell Tolls for Thee.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the point is, when you think about Ali, the boxer and the man, do you automatically think about those last few fights?

I think athletes should play as long as they want and as long as they're contributing.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
LordOpie said:
the point is, when you think about Ali, the boxer and the man, do you automatically think about those last few fights?

I think athletes should play as long as they want and as long as they're contributing.
I understand your viewpoint and respect your opinion even though I do not share it. If it were me, I'd retire on top then do charity rides or non-professional events. You should only have to put up with so many "double or nothing" calls before you can feel good about taking your winnings to the bank. He's proven he is the best ever. Should he have to keep defending his title until he finally succumbs to age or injury just so someone can be able to say they took it from him?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
llkoolkeg said:
Should he have to keep defending his title until he finally succumbs to age or injury just so someone can be able to say they took it from him?
Yes. They're paid to do a job and should be forced to work until they cannot work (compete) any longer.

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
llkoolkeg said:
Ever heard of Muhammad Ali?
I don't follow boxing much, but I've never heard of anyone that says he boxed too long. Actually, until just a minute ago, I didn't know he didn't do so hot in the latter part his career. I've never heard about that bit of it. Same with any of the famous cyclists...

Plus, it's kinda hard to see when you're "done". Who knows if lance has more in him?