Quantcast

Two DH bikes: one too many?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So I have a 303dh that I love.

But I pedaled a 303r this weekend and loved it.

Is having two DH bikes, especially two from the same builder, too much?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Why would you ever need 2 DH bikes that handle extremely similar? You'd be better off dialing in one, getting used to it, and spending the rest of your money on other bikes in the stable (XC, road, DJ, etc.)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Please choose from one of the following smart assed responses :

- Why no, two is not too many. You should over indulge yourself at all costs. It is of course the American thing to do.

- Yes, having two frames from the same builder is excessive and you should cleanse yourself of the guilt by shipping one to me.

- You should have two Yetis and tell everyone you're a factory sponsored pro then ask them if they can spare any change because you haven't eaten donuts in at least eight minutes and fear you will pass out at any moment.

- Having two Yeti DH rigs painted different colors will give you the opportunity to ride a bike that fits your mood much in the same way one purse goes better with one bag and not another. After all, fashion whoring should never be limited to pole dancers and washed out celebrities.

I hope this has been helpful.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
IMO this is the perfect number of bikes:thumb:

Dude if you can afford another dh bike without cramping your style else where, an its what you want...I say go for gold!

Attachments

Last edited:

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
I know plenty of people that have 2 DH bikes. Of course most of them are a few years apart, when they get a new one the keep the old one. Of course then they never ride the old one so kind of a waste of money to have it sitting there. But if something happens to there current bike they have a back up or spare parts.

If you were to go out and buy 2 of the same bikes in the same year, waste of money.

Funny thing is when you go to a MX race it is surprising how many privateer/local guys have practice bikes.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
I know plenty of people that have 2 DH bikes. Of course most of them are a few years apart, when they get a new one the keep the old one. Of course then they never ride the old one so kind of a waste of money to have it sitting there. But if something happens to there current bike they have a back up or spare parts.

If you were to go out and buy 2 of the same bikes in the same year, waste of money.

Funny thing is when you go to a MX race it is surprising how many privateer/local guys have practice bikes.

I wouldn't say thats a waste of money at all. Bikes loose their value so easily, after a couple years those owners will never see a selling price close to what they payed originally. It makes more sense to keep a bike that was 5k then to sell it for 1.5k

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Ive got 4, mostly because i cant sell them, if anybody wants DH bikes, PM me.

If you are buying a bike, now is the time to do it, with the recession everything is super cheap

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'll pay shipping on them demo 9. I can always use a loaner bike to get people in to DH'ing!

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
If you got the $$$ then why not.
My 1st bike is a FR bike and I have a DH bike for "those days" ,it hardly ever gets ridden but then it doesn't wear out much either :D

303R - lucky buggar :thumb:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Depends. Have you ever owned two DH bikes at the same time before? Are you going to tell them upfront that you are riding another bike? If not, how are you going to keep them from finding out? What are you going to do when they do find out?

If they are cool with it, or you can keep them separated, or if they have just as much or more to loss than you do when they do find out, then I say go fit it.

Just make sure you always wear protection:D

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
You can never have too many of a bike.

I have 3 DH bikes and working on a 4th/5th. Although the 4th is being justified by calling it my girlfriends bike and the 5th will be my new race bike.
All my bikes get ridden and I get to take atleast one spare to each race.

-Kevin

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Out here, two DH bikes is one too many. There isn't enough downhillin around here to justify having two bikes. I can barely justify having one at times. Most of the really good riding is XC. If it were me, i'd get another trail/XC bike. But, I'm also i tight wad. If i had enough money to buy another DH bike, i'd rather put that money towards a vacation or towards some of the house projects.