Quantcast

Two Drunk Penguins

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Watching March of the Penguins turned into using Rob's penguin martini shaker which turned into me having to type ultra-slow to be coherant. Cheers to a good Sat. night :thumb:

The bartender

The shaker

Hey N8, do you have this in your collection ;)?

Check out the shirt!

The Emu sidles up to the martini

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
With the shaker, you need to have two hands on the thing at all times if the customer asks for it to be shaken, if the customer doesn't ask for it to be shaken, the martini is stirred. The only type of drink that is kind of like a martini that it is standard practice to shake it every time is a cosmopolitan. It's also called a bullsh!t martini. The bartending schools teach you to use a shaker without a handle, and shows you the proper technique to using a handleless shaker. A person is more likely to make a mess and waste booze by using a handled shaker due single handed dependency.

A general martini has variables to it but if not asked it comes with:

3_1/2 oz of Gin/vodka
1/2oz of dry vermouth, and is stirred/shaken

A dry martini can be
3_1/2 oz of Gin/vodka
1/4 oz of dry vermouth stirred/shaken

An extra dy martini can is
3_1/2 oz of Gin/vodka
1/8 oz of dry vermouth. Stirred/shaken.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Rip said:
With the shaker, you need to have two hands on the thing at all times if the customer asks for it to be shaken, if the customer doesn't ask for it to be shaken, the martini is stirred. The only type of drink that is kind of like a martini that it is standard practice to shake it every time is a cosmopolitan. It's also called a bullsh!t martini. The bartending schools teach you to use a shaker without a handle, and shows you the proper technique to using a handleless shaker. A person is more likely to make a mess and waste booze by using a handled shaker due single handed dependency.

A general martini has variables to it but if not asked it comes with:

3_1/2 oz of Gin/vodka
1/2oz of dry vermouth, and is stirred/shaken

A dry martini can be
3_1/2 oz of Gin/vodka
1/4 oz of dry vermouth stirred/shaken

An extra dy martini can is
3_1/2 oz of Gin/vodka
1/8 oz of dry vermouth. Stirred/shaken.

All the vermouth you ever need to add to a martini can be attained by pointing the shaker in the general direction of an unopened vermouth bottle.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Brian HCM#1 said:
I happen to love penguins, actually probably my favorite animal.
Yeah, the movie was interesting, but lots of snowy scenes to remind us of winter. And it was a lot of walking and sitting on an egg in the ice. It was nice to have some Grey Goose to keep us warm.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
its not so much about the shaker for me... its the glass its served in. The glass needs to be properly contured for the hand.. this way one can get optimum drinking pleasure. I find most Martini glasses to be to small.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
hooples3 said:
its not so much about the shaker for me... its the glass its served in. The glass needs to be properly contured for the hand.. this way one can get optimum drinking pleasure. I find most Martini glasses to be to small.

No ch!t!

And what's up with bartenders who don't fill the martini glass to the rim? MizN8 and I had dinner at Copeland's Frin nite and the bartender cheezed the pour... I had to school him on the proper way to serve a martini, which is filled to the rim...

:mad:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
N8 said:
No ch!t!

And what's up with bartenders who don't fill the martini glass to the rim? MizN8 and I had dinner at Copeland's Frin nite and the bartender cheezed the pour... I had to school him on the proper way to serve a martini, which is filled to the rim...

:mad:
I just bring my 120 oz. Martini glass with me

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
N8 said:
All the vermouth you ever need to add to a martini can be attained by pointing the shaker in the general direction of an unopened vermouth bottle.
Correct.

I still shake it with two hands. The handle just facilitates easy pouring of the Grey Goosey goodness into waiting chilled glasses.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
bluebug32 said:
Yeah, the movie was interesting, but lots of snowy scenes to remind us of winter. And it was a lot of walking and sitting on an egg in the ice. It was nice to have some Grey Goose to keep us warm.
Now here's another problem............Use Belvedere vodka instead on Grey Goose.