Quantcast

Two free boxes!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
YOu know how many LBS's will charge you for a carboard bike box that they will throw away anyway?

Well the LBS here near work just gave me two of them for free.

Not sure if my DH bike will fit. I may have to surgically connect them together to make it work... BUt I was happy to get them for free!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It will be worth hunting for a DH bike box. I tried to fit my Kona into a regular bike box when I shipped it. What a PITA. I just used my old one from when I went to Ferny last summer.

Got the room booked in Whistler. Bikes in room.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The bike shops in MTL are special. Especially the ones in the West Island of Montreal. Especially the one that's been in Pointe-Claire for a long time. I'm surprised they haven't started charging admission.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
MMike, much like a 16 y/o girl, is easily impressed by simple things.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We're more than happy to give people boxes, saves us the trouble of having to deal with them. I've been given boxes by other shops before too, never been an issue.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
all the shops around me give them away for free too. why would they charge you for something they are going to throw away anyway.

heres my frankenstein box for my DH bike...two specialized bike boxes. i didnt need two, but i double boxed it just to play safe.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
And actually, places in Seattle have tried to charge me for them as well.

I think it was Gregg's at Greenlake.
Interesting, I worked at the Bellevue Greggs in service for a number of years and never once charged a customer for a box. Like people said, giving them away is much easier then breaking them down.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Bike shop employee:

Oh, here comes the peckerwood.
Hurry up and put a price tag on that empty box and let's see if he will buy it.
And sign Missy Giove's name on it too. I hear he turned her gay.

:rofl:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I have been to several shops that charge for bike boxes. I now never go to those shops for anything.

The best is when I was training at a shop to help open a new second shop. I had been their about a month when someone came in looking for a bike box. I went in back grabbed one and gave it to them. As they walked out the door the manager stopped them asking if they were going to pay for the box. I looked at the manager and asked him "Are you seriously going to charge them for something we are just going to throw away?" Needless to say me and that manager were never very good friends.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Is this the wedding ring punishment?

Just remember to punch out some breathing holes.