Quantcast

>>> Two inches of wet snow <<<

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Working today and tomorrow, but at least a nice sunrise today on the way in

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Got two replacement drones on the way. Will go down to a best buy on monday to attempt a new replacement claim via the geek squad total protection plan. Hopefully it works better than the DJI refresh plan.

I have now completely automated the river house with 8 cameras, smart bulbs, smart flood lights, smart plugs, smart deadbolts, smart switches, smart doorbell and even a smart thermostat. As long as the power never goes out I am golden, lol

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
was enjoying sleeping in. Ruth got up early and took care of the dogs. Then she let them back into the house and all 4 of them decided to charge into the bedroom and play dog pile on daddy.. so now I am awake and making a mug of espresso cause that's what it takes to get this old bastard going these days. Gonna take the dogs for a walk then head out to my SIL's 60th bday at a Mexican restaurant for lunch.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sunny and comfortably below freezing here today. The kids xc ski club has been making snow and opened up a small track in and around their "stadium" area. So today is their first day on snow. They're pretty excited.

But I'm now sitting in my car in the parking lot caus my back aches to high heaven from getting their shit ready this morning. At least we made it here on time, with no significant melt downs either!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
-10F

I got some awesome packed in trails now, some of which I've done all the work on, but they are good to go, lots of fun obstacles, tight turns, etc. It's not getting warmer, but whatever, I got clothes.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Decorating the tree today and enjoying time with the family.

Got two replacement drones on the way. Will go down to a best buy on monday to attempt a new replacement claim via the geek squad total protection plan. Hopefully it works better than the DJI refresh plan.

I have now completely automated the river house with 8 cameras, smart bulbs, smart flood lights, smart plugs, smart deadbolts, smart switches, smart doorbell and even a smart thermostat. As long as the power never goes out I am golden, lol
I keep waffling on the idea of having a smart home. The convenience and monitoring is nice, but the :tinfoil: side of me can't help being skeptical about giving the technology companies even more insight into my life and data.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This weekend turned into a bit of a boozefest. Went to a friend’s housewarming, with a lovely bbq and appropriately bougie fingerfoods and lots and lots of booze. Met a lovely lady who works in housing policy and had a great chat about that, then got introduced to ‘another mountainbiker’ who turned out to be a slightly obnoxious special flower Yeti-bro type. My drink ran out rather fast after that and I was forced to go and find another refill. Found a lovely bottle of Prosecco and a corner with policy lady and her friends again.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I keep waffling on the idea of having a smart home. The convenience and monitoring is nice, but the :tinfoil: side of me can't help being skeptical about giving the technology companies even more insight into my life and data.
I like my MyQ garage opener setup(s). No more wondering whether you really closed the door. The WiFi enabled Yale smart lock on the front door of the mountain house is also nice so as to make sure contractors lock up when they leave, etc., albeit probably overkill for a non-rental unit.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
After using 90% of the brands for over a year now I have settled on the Wyze eco system of devices and alexa echo show to manage and view. Wyze allows you to use a standalone router with all the securities and it seems to be the less "buggy" of the systems. Wyze still seems to be somewhat of a cottage industry with engineers actually on the Facebook groups to constantly be adapting and adding firmware updates that are truly relevant to the needs. Arlo came in a close second but I soley use it now for when the power is out due to the constant need for charging.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stupid dog gets excited whenever he sees the mailman. Also gets excited when he sees someone carrying packages because he thinks they are the mailman. Dog jumped on a guy carrying boxes down the street and ripped his jacket. So I am out someone's bougie Patagonia jacket and some dude thinks he narrowly escaped a viscous dog attack. Stupid dog was just being playful but stupid dog is stupid.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I enjoy having a dumb home.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I enjoy having a dumb home.
I second that.
I started the whole process while living in a very remote area and needed the insight due to nefarious traffic around the property when I wasn't home. Since then it has progressed into piece of mind when traveling and ultimately testing the devices and usage to integrate via raspberry Pi into my coach when traveling since RV parks and resorts are starting to get an uptick in crime as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
zero desire for anything smart about my home. no alexa, no nothing.

last night at the beach. can't wait to get the fuck out of here. have an article to write before 12/1. did nothing about it while here. other things to do next week include finding a new range, getting lift tickets for pre-xmas trip, getting a few xmas presents...that is all. end of the week looks 60s and sunny...gotta get shit done so i can save a fuckit day for the mtns.

for now, guess it's time for another beer.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I worked on my friend Lances Fat Bike. Rarely do I ever get the chance to work on someone's bike using their tools. He has the fancy Park Stand. I had one at the old shop. I replaced his Avid brakes for Shimanos. Easy peasy. When I was done, I left his bike in the stand. His Son Max climbed on the bike while it was in the Stand. Bike and Stand toppled onto him somehow. A pedal took out a fair amount of flesh on his back. He's fine.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I worked on my friend Lances Fat Bike. Rarely do I ever get the chance to work on someone's bike using their tools. He has the fancy Park Stand. I had one at the old shop. I replaced his Avid brakes for Shimanos. Easy peasy. When I was done, I left his bike in the stand. His Son Max climbed on the bike while it was in the Stand. Bike and Stand toppled onto him somehow. A pedal took out a fair amount of flesh on his back. He's fine.
I’d say that’s a learning experience for little Max.