Quantcast

two rides - wilson and san juan

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
this is gonna be short and have no pics. sorry 'bout that. but, i do need to say these were great rides.

saturday -
did a wilson run with the usual suspects. 8am start was not quite early enough to beat the heat. did the run on my new bottlerocket. it took some time to get my shock and fork dialed, as this was the first "aggressive ride" on them. the top of the trail was beat and loose. not knowing the sweet-spots on my new gear made the trail a bit rougher to ride. there were also a ton of hikers out.

the bottom of the trail was in good condition. it was the first time i had done it on a full suspension bike in over a year. it felt good.

sunday-
did a san juan run for the first time. MAN!!! that is a great run. met slugman and edgy and a bunch of others at the bottom. shuttled to the top. did some pedaling. then bombs away :love:

the climbs are techy and i needed to walk some bits. i was amazed at some of the stuff the bottlerocket could get over. i did not expect it to climb as well as it did for a 40lb bike :oink:

the downhill sections are great. lots of pump-able stuff. berms and small hips and jumps. some exposed stuff, but not much. the scenery is breathtaking SoCal desert. the ground ranged from rocky and washed out to hardpack with a thin layer of sand, to nice smooth pack. plety of switchbacks. this trail will make you learn how to corner or it will own you.

the maxxis advantage tires held well. i needed to drop the pressure to get them to grab better at speed. i started with them at the suggest 45psi. i know, that is high. not sure what i had them at by the end of the ride, but they stuck well.

:love: love the bottlerocket!!! it was a great bike for this trail. i'll post more of a gear review in the dh form when i have more time.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
nice md! two of my favorite rides I've done for sure. I can definitely imagine the BR just slaying the San Juan trail. Been a few years since I've ridden that one but it's a beaut.