Quantcast

<Two> Stay <owT>

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Also present.

Have to go into the office for like 15 minutes today, which is totally worth the 40 minute drive in each direction and wasting the entire afternoon.

But hey, I guess I'm getting paid, so things could be worse. Maybe I'll sneak in a trip to the bike shop and grab some Fox volume spacers while I'm at it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Still trying to find the creak on my bike. Not sure if related yet, but I found one of the lower link pivot axles is seized in the bearings. My small and medium hammer didn't budge it. Fack. :(

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I also have a creak going on someplace down by the tracer's BB, haven't gotten too crazy trying to chase it down...
This one is loud enough that people I ride with are commenting on it.

I sprayed some PB Blaster on it, so hopefully by tonight I can persuade it out of there.

Looking for non-overpriced bearings now (IE, don't buy them from a bike shop).

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
thinking about entering the LEED wormhole.

oh, and I too have had a creek on my bike forever. Seems to be upper fork crown.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I watched the movie Ready or Not last night, about a bride who gets hunted by her new in-laws on her wedding night. It is messed up funny, and a tidy 95 minutes long. The movie had me laughing, shaking my head, and saying "what the fuck??"

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Missed my cancelled flight to Pittsburgh. This puts me in Pittsburgh after my Neuro appointment with a connecting flight in Detroit.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Waiting in my vehicle to check in at Discount Tire. Chaos I tell ya, chaos

98C84FE4-0D6C-4B30-9390-30110D0BDC1F.jpeg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I need new brakes for the fat bike. I've been waiting all spring/summer/fall for shipping from Germany to resume so I could order some Maguras from zee Germanz. But alas, it does not look like that will happen. I wanted Maguras caus' I figured the "carbotecture" material would deal better with being out in the cold than aluminum. Jenson and CRC have some for more or less $100 a side.

Or, I could get some used (take offs) Shimanos on Pinkbike. $110 for the BR-200, or $140 for the Deores.

In looking at this chart https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/MTB/Brake Lever (Hydraulic disc brake) (thanks @slimshady) I think the 200s are 3-finger levers and don't have adjustable reach, a hinged clamp, or Servo-wave.

I think the Deore's are the 500-series. Which means it will have adjustable reach, a hinged clamp, and servo-wave.

fat biking isn't super hard on brakes so I don't feel I need anything fancy. Mostly, I want reliable. I can't remember if Servowave is one of the contributing factors to Shimano's reliability issues... Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I need new brakes for the fat bike. I've been waiting all spring/summer/fall for shipping from Germany to resume so I could order some Maguras from zee Germanz. But alas, it does not look like that will happen. I wanted Maguras caus' I figured the "carbotecture" material would deal better with being out in the cold than aluminum. Jenson and CRC have some for more or less $100 a side.

Or, I could get some used (take offs) Shimanos on Pinkbike. $110 for the BR-200, or $140 for the Deores.

In looking at this chart https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/MTB/Brake Lever (Hydraulic disc brake) (thanks @slimshady) I think the 200s are 3-finger levers and don't have adjustable reach, a hinged clamp, or Servo-wave.

I think the Deore's are the 500-series. Which means it will have adjustable reach, a hinged clamp, and servo-wave.

fat biking isn't super hard on brakes so I don't feel I need anything fancy. Mostly, I want reliable. I can't remember if Servowave is one of the contributing factors to Shimano's reliability issues... Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
My fat bike came with Shimano M447 brakes, which I think are the previous Alivios (man, why can't they stick with just a name OR number?)? They are similar in shape to my m8000 XT brakes, but with maybe a slightly longer lever. Working from memory here, but if the levers are longer, they do work well if you're wearing thick gloves.

I think the front one leaks a little when it sits, but they've been good enough for fat biking. Any sort of power in them just locks up the wheels on the snow anyways.