Quantcast

(*))% Two Stay %((*)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i really should move to Maine
Members of my Family. Not me. Have land in Parsonsfield ME. I am strongly considering assuming total control of it. I would have to invest a good sum to make it accessible. The house on the property would require a gut reno. The road going to it would have to be reclaimed whatever the fuck that is. It is adjacent to White Mountain National Forest and on the Saco River. It is on 41 acres. The Saco is a protected waterway. I could pay the back taxes and split the land into 6 6 acre lots. Only if I improve the road and then donate the remaining acres to the town. I am assured by a faulty source that I would easily make some money off the deal. My source is looking into me being able to put a Tiny House on the land. Depending how this pans out. I have somebody willing to buy the lots as long as we can put tiny houses on them. I keep giving people money and then not getting the services so far. Maine folks are rather contemptuous of outsiders.... Even when you own the land. It is still their land. You will always be an outsider. They don't believe in Fences either... It is the Snell Homestead if you're interested.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Afternoon Monkeys.

Got lots done on the rig during my unpaid week off. Still a shit ton to do, but every weekend the list gets shorter.

Then I start looking at stupid shit like stereo stuff and the list gets bigger again. :rofl:

But seriously, Nakamichi touch screen?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Members of my Family. Not me. Have land in Parsonsfield ME. I am strongly considering assuming total control of it. I would have to invest a good sum to make it accessible. The house on the property would require a gut reno. The road going to it would have to be reclaimed whatever the fuck that is. It is adjacent to White Mountain National Forest and on the Saco River. It is on 41 acres. The Saco is a protected waterway. I could pay the back taxes and split the land into 6 6 acre lots. Only if I improve the road and then donate the remaining acres to the town. I am assured by a faulty source that I would easily make some money off the deal. My source is looking into me being able to put a Tiny House on the land. Depending how this pans out. I have somebody willing to buy the lots as long as we can put tiny houses on them. I keep giving people money and then not getting the services so far. Maine folks are rather contemptuous of outsiders.... Even when you own the land. It is still their land. You will always be an outsider. They don't believe in Fences either... It is the Snell Homestead if you're interested.
have long considered selling the parent's place there when it eventually comes to us...now, hmmm...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Our camp is on 10 wooded lakefront acres. We have it assessed as a wood lot
Same with my family's property. Its 40 acres in Canaan that my grandfather bought and has done nothing with except have it logged occasionally. It has road frontage and a stream, but nothing built on it.

Maybe I should go visit. Could hunt it if I was so inclined.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Same with my family's property. Its 40 acres in Canaan that my grandfather bought and has done nothing with except have it logged occasionally. It has road frontage and a stream, but nothing built on it.

Maybe I should go visit. Could hunt it if I was so inclined.
Canaan as in between Skowhegan and Pittsfield? because that's really close to my family's place.

IIRC in order to have a lot zoned as wooded a certain percentage has to be harvested once every 10 years. there's clauses that allow camps/cabins but i think the primary stipulation is that it can't be year round / primary residence.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Canaan as in between Skowhegan and Pittsfield? because that's really close to my family's place.

IIRC in order to have a lot zoned as wooded a certain percentage has to be harvested once every 10 years. there's clauses that allow camps/cabins but i think the primary stipulation is that it can't be year round / primary residence.
Yeppers, that Canaan.

Howdy neighbor! :wave:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'll start building the cart.

seriously though, long term goal once kids leave for college is to move to Maine.
yeah...but fuckity fuckity fuck winter and the neverending mud until may season. i had more than enough of that the first 23 years of my life. my plan was to take $ and mountain property here, pnw, or maybe nor cal. but perhaps if things keep going the way they are global warming will fix that. fortunately the house is like 20+ feet above normal high tide line.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah...but fuckity fuckity fuck winter and the neverending mud until may season. i had more than enough of that the first 23 years of my life. my plan was to take $ and mountain property here, pnw, or maybe nor cal. but perhaps if things keep going the way they are global warming will fix that. fortunately the house is like 20+ feet above normal high tide line.
winter i like. but to your point, it's a short riding season without a fat bike. and the only way around the mud is to go somewhere else.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
winter i like. but to your point, it's a short riding season without a fat bike. and the only way around the mud is to go somewhere else.
The older I get the more I look forward to fall and winter. Hard pass on 90* & 90% humidity.

I'll happily fatbike and ski my way around for more of the year.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Go to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor for the exam and not a hearing aid sales center. Good to know if it’s caused by a medical condition or loud noises. In my case it was from my profession and hearing aids won’t help. Saved at least $3k on something useless.
Yup, already been. The range of hearing I have lost is gone. Already know I will need a full dome type so it can amplify what I need while reducing tones that overload. Itll happen this year or next. She is working on setting me up with stuff that will work with my work radios..... My doc is really good. The set I end up with will have what they call a tinnitus mode, which is basically a very low sound ifbstatic/rain/waves as a background noise. Supposed to help.

Shooting with no ear protection?

Recently picked up some Walker's electronic ear muffs. Hoping that will be an upgrade over the usual foam plugs I've been using.
18 years automotive, loud music for as ling as I can remember.... and yes, years of shooting with no ear pro.

Walkers are good, I have the ear plugs for hunting, and a nice set of muffs. However, if you are going to be shooting strings or have a training day, no electronics are as good as passive plugs. My Plugs offer 26 db reduction, and my muffs I want to say are 29db..... My hearos passive foam are 36 db and pretty much turn off sound.

Because of my past damage, I have to wear ear pro even with a 22lr.

I have these for hunting, work great

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use the Leight Impact ear protection. They work well for me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's pretty far south. we're closer to central Maine.