Quantcast

(*))% Two Stay %((*)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yup, already been. The range of hearing I have lost is gone. Already know I will need a full dome type so it can amplify what I need while reducing tones that overload. Itll happen this year or next. She is working on setting me up with stuff that will work with my work radios..... My doc is really good. The set I end up with will have what they call a tinnitus mode, which is basically a very low sound ifbstatic/rain/waves as a background noise. Supposed to help.

18 years automotive, loud music for as ling as I can remember.... and yes, years of shooting with no ear pro.

Walkers are good, I have the ear plugs for hunting, and a nice set of muffs. However, if you are going to be shooting strings or have a training day, no electronics are as good as passive plugs. My Plugs offer 26 db reduction, and my muffs I want to say are 29db..... My hearos passive foam are 36 db and pretty much turn off sound.

Because of my past damage, I have to wear ear pro even with a 22lr.

I have these for hunting, work great

Woah, white noise machine in your ear to block the ringing ? Very cool. Oddly one of the things about this I enjoy is getting deep enough Into the woods, away from all other human sounds, total silence and I start to hear the ringing. That and spiderwebs across the trail let me know I am alone.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Barf - that's a fucking city.
fun fact:
Round Pond population: 582
New Haven population: 1721

@Rockland - yep. we also used to go out to Louds and hang out a lot during teenage years. there are a few houses there (my buddy paul built one of them a few years back) and a little church, graveyard, etc. it's a cool place with an interesting history. haven't been out there recently, definitely since the ship ran aground (2016?)

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
That and spiderwebs across the trail let me know I alone.
SPIDER PATROL.

I got so accustomed to that riding in the early morning in Florida. It's always banana spiders here (Golden orb-weavers) which are huge and scary looking, but harmless. If you just wait a second, they will cut themselves free and drop off. Nothing worse than trying to wash off a half pound of spider guts with your water bottle. I would collect up the web and give it back to them, they eat it to make a new web.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
fun fact:

@Rockland - yep. we also used to go out to Louds and hang out a lot during teenage years. there are a few houses there (my buddy paul built one of them a few years back) and a little church, graveyard, etc. it's a cool place with an interesting history. haven't been out there recently, definitely since the ship ran aground (2016?)
Only 9 miles by boat from my house to the shipwreck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SPIDER PATROL.

I got so accustomed to that riding in the early morning in Florida. It's always banana spiders here (Golden orb-weavers) which are huge and scary looking, but harmless. If you just wait a second, they will cut themselves free and drop off. Nothing worse than trying to wash off a half pound of spider guts with your water bottle. I would collect up the web and give it back to them, they eat it to make a new web.
I just watched my disproportionately wealthy neighbors pay for someone to remove all the spiders and webs from around their house and yard. In a few weeks all the fruit trees in the neighborhood will start to drop rotting fruit all over the place and swarms of flies will descend upon us. They gonna miss those spiders.

fun fact:

New Haven, VT population density: 42/sq mi
Bristol, ME population density: 81/sq mi

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@Rockland's bringing back the memories. One of going kneeboarding in the ocean between the harbor and that island and doing 360s off of lobstah boat wake; another of working as a sternman and setting traps off the island; and a final one of an old skool neighbor of ours: a retired bishop who, in his 70s and 80s, would go out in his dinghy and row around the island (3 x 1 miles) a few times a week. Good stuff.

@Rockland's bringing back the memories. One of going kneeboarding in the ocean between the harbor and that island and doing 360s off of lobstah boat wake; another of working as a sternman and setting traps off the island; and a final one of an old skool neighbor of ours: a retired bishop who, in his 70s and 80s, would go out in his dinghy and row around the island (3 x 1 miles) a few times a week. Good stuff.
I went scallop diving off Vinalhaven late one November...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Woah, white noise machine in your ear to block the ringing ? Very cool. Oddly one of the things about this I enjoy is getting deep enough Into the woods, away from all other human sounds, total silence and I start to hear the ringing. That and spiderwebs across the trail let me know I alone.
I am normally the same way.... the white noise factor is super low to the point during normal conversation you wont hear it.....

Its just some days the tinnitus hits hard enough I swear Someone slapped me.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
SPIDER PATROL.

Was on some seriously off camber, rooty trail with tons of spiderwebs and had to let one crawl on my face because I'd crash if I took a hand off the bars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Was on some seriously off camber, rooty trail with tons of spiderwebs and had to let one crawl on my face because I'd crash if I took a hand off the bars.
the other week i was cutting out some big downfall from the trails after a storm and was running the saw when I felt some manner of large bug land on the back of my neck. for whatever reason my mind instinctively thought it was a yellow jacket and started shifting to panic mode. i managed to keep it together enough to take my handle off the throttle first, otherwise a sting would have been the least of my problems.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
the other week i was cutting out some big downfall from the trails after a storm and was running the saw when I felt some manner of large bug land on the back of my neck. for whatever reason my mind instinctively thought it was a yellow jacket and started shifting to panic mode. i managed to keep it together enough to take my handle off the throttle first, otherwise a sting would have been the least of my problems.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that Yellow Jackets just love chainsaws.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh yeah, I'm sure that Yellow Jackets just love chainsaws.
i'd seen a bunch earlier before i started cutting. i've never seen so many trees - and such large trees - uprooted in my life. i'm assuming a bunch of nests got disrupted given how large of an area was impacted.

(not all my pics, and i should note that each photo depicts a separate downed tree / trail section)

1594862839315.png

1594862870923.png

1594862937647.png

1594862972489.png

1594863003303.png

1594863020380.png

1594863034991.png