Quantcast

Two things...

Crash

Chimp
Aug 16, 2001
Bay Area
1. It appears that I need to rebuild my forks(SID XC), as there is some slight oil streaking on the legs. My question is, how quickly do I need to jump on it before any permanent damage is done?

2. My brakes are squealing like crazy. I've heard 2 theories on it. One is that it's just a buildup of brake pad material and simply scrubbing it off with some steel wool. The second was it was due to a harmonic type vibration. I'm more inclined to go with the first theory as my rear brake is significantly louder than the front and there's more brake material on the rear rim. I should also mention that it became much louder after doing a bit of street riding in the rain.

Thanks...

K

kitchenware

I don't know anything about SIDs but, the brake stuff, I do. If you rode in the rain you for sure should clean your rim. I clean mine once a week every once in a while with Coca Cola (eats the build up off). I'm real particular about my brakes so they are perfectly adjusted and clean for almost every ride. Arch Rivals kick butt.

I suggest if they havent been cleaned in a while to remove the tire so you can really get in there and get em good. I'm cleaning mine today when my new tires get here.

K

kitchenware

Oh yeah, make sure they are toed (sp?) in correctly within specs, this can cause a squeal too. :)

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Crash
2. My brakes are squealing like crazy. I've heard 2 theories on it. One is that it's just a buildup of brake pad material and simply scrubbing it off with some steel wool. The second was it was due to a harmonic type vibration
Thanks...
Well both. They squeal cuz of harmonic vibration. Question is why is the vibration occurring? The build-up of crud can contribute. File your pads and re-tow them and you should be fine.

Crash

Chimp
Aug 16, 2001
Bay Area
Thanks for the advice...which brings up another question on toe-in...I'm not seeing a way to adjust it on my brakes(Avid 20). I can only adjust the pad up and down on the rim or rotate it so one end of the pad is higher/lower than the other. Is that considered toe-in on bikes? I'm used to the auto definition of toe-in.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yes squeel is harmonic vibration. Sometimes a rain ride will actually clean the rims off so the pads are sticking more. Get some scothbrite pads from under the sink and use something like degreaser or coke if that works and buff those rims. Take a file to the pads too to scuff off any glaze and pick out any hunks of aluminum or other specs out. Other things to look at. XTR and some other brakes allow you to overhaul and adjust pivot play so there is none. Don't know about your Avids. I know Shimano sell replacement linkage kits to address the worn parallel push linkage. Do you have a parallel push arch? How is that rim? Sometimes the howling is an indication that the rim is about to collapse. Is the brake track really dished? Put a straight edge across it and see.

If you forks are just weeping its not urgent but waiting will potentially make it worse. Often weeping seals just means you need to clean them. Leave it too lang and the gunk that's trapped in the seal will cause you to have to replace the seals. Its a very easy job anyway. Get the manual off the Rock Shox site and go to it. www.angryasian.com has lots of tips too.

Crash

Chimp
Aug 16, 2001
Bay Area
Thanks, OldFart. I have the manual and it didn't look like that big of a deal...I would just rather ride than wrench. As far as the brakes go, some of what you said was a bit over my head. The rims are fine...what is "parallel push linkage" and "parallel push arch"? I'm also not sure what you mean by "pivot play" Thanks.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I call them all parallel push devices. Avid has an arch which directs the pads at the rim in less of an arc. It still arcs but the pad stays more parallel to the rim. Same thing with Shimano lx to xtr brakes. Look at their website, www.shimano.com and you'll see what I'm talking about.

You can adjust XTR pivots by pulling up the rubber boot and exposing the adjusting nuts. Its just like a short hub. Only it has dinky little thrust bearings and everything is aluminum so don't strip it eh!. They can be adjusted perfectly so there's little friction and no detectable play. That's why XTR V brakes are so expensive and good.