Quantcast

***TWO TU Tuesderp TU TWO***

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
:doh:this is our Q-Anon contingent...
So many problems can be solved with Molotov cocktails. More passive aggressive than a baseball bat but still pretty clear on your point.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh, hell no. Ain't had a car payment since around 2007.

:fancy:
Gotta use math to your favor. Assuming you're buying a new car (I know your truck is old), most rates are stupid cheap. You're better off keeping the money invested and paying a low rate loan. I have the money to pay off both cars, but I keep it invested and pay monthly. I'm even refinancing them to a lower rate and taking the spread to invest as well. As long as you don't spend the difference, you win. You just have to be willing to take some risk.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah - I'm at 3.875, which is a pretty good "savings" rate these days... so I'm motivated.
Uh... you looked at the math on refi? Since you're chompy to pay it off, it might be cheaper to refi and roll the extra payment funds back into it. Costco mortgage ftw. Get a 15yr with a low rate, then pay the same amt you are as extra principle. You should be able to pay it off even faster.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Gotta use math to your favor. Assuming you're buying a new car (I know your truck is old), most rates are stupid cheap. You're better off keeping the money invested and paying a low rate loan. I have the money to pay off both cars, but I keep it invested and pay monthly. I'm even refinancing them to a lower rate and taking the spread to invest as well. As long as you don't spend the difference, you win. You just have to be willing to take some risk.
yep, It was way cheaper to borrow against my own portfolio with only menial interest and let the dividends pay the loan.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
yep, It was way cheaper to borrow against my own portfolio with only menial interest and let the dividends pay the loan.
I look the other way. I'd prefer to pay someone a small amount to use their money to stay invested. Keep my dvd's growing for me, because the RoR their will likely be net higher and I don't have any margin call concerns in a worst-case scenario.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah - I ain't financing anything. And you know how old I am - I'm becoming more risk-averse by the day. :D

Uh... you looked at the math on refi? Since you're chompy to pay it off, it might be cheaper to refi and roll the extra payment funds back into it. Costco mortgage ftw. Get a 15yr with a low rate, then pay the same amt you are as extra principle. You should be able to pay it off even faster.
Fuck the math. I'm talking a few months. It's worth it to me to simply NOT do the math. If I was gonna re-fi it would have been a couple years back... at this point, gonna sell some company stock and pay that motherfucker off.

Once that's gone... I really don't *need* to work any more, though I probably will for the insurance. :D

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I look the other way. I'd prefer to pay someone a small amount to use their money to stay invested. Keep my dvd's growing for me, because the RoR their will likely be net higher and I don't have any margin call concerns in a worst-case scenario.
I only used a small portion for that purpose in one account, barely 4% overall but it proved easier to secure the loan in a short timeframe without all the hassle.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just found out one of my best friends' mom is scheduled to pull the plug tomorrow evening. She's been sick for a while. Some sort of degenerative brain issue. He's not a sharer of feelings, but that's gotta hurt. ugh, getting old sucks.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We refinanced when the markets tanked after 9/11 and did the same thing. 30 year down to a 15 year; cut our interest rate in half and paid it off much faster!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We refinanced when the markets tanked after 9/11 and did the same thing. 30 year down to a 15 year; cut our interest rate in half and paid it off much faster!
That's what we did around 2010... then started paying extra principal when we started having "extra" $$ around. Was hoping to have it all paid off *before* the kids went off to uni, but that apparently wasn't realistic. :)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah - I ain't financing anything. And you know how old I am - I'm becoming more risk-averse by the day. :D

Fuck the math. I'm talking a few months. It's worth it to me to simply NOT do the math. If I was gonna re-fi it would have been a couple years back... at this point, gonna sell some company stock and pay that motherfucker off.

Once that's gone... I really don't *need* to work any more, though I probably will for the insurance. :D
If you're that close, the taxes will outweigh the saved interest, FYI.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
That's what we did around 2010... then started paying extra principal when we started having "extra" $$ around. Was hoping to have it all paid off *before* the kids went off to uni, but that apparently wasn't realistic. :)
Sigh, some day, maybe. At the moment though, we are a single income household for the next oh, 5 years, and I doubt I'll have gobs of "extra" money to put towards paying a mortgage down early.