Quantcast

tyre help

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
hi all,

yet another cry for help, a little background, built a HT with some Monkey advice - thanks everyone who gave their input, bought thin tyres (Panracer Tserv) for on-road pedalling to get fitter and now managed to lower resting heartrate to 47bpm (probably not so spectacular for you lads and lassies but my lowest ever!)
Now, I think I'm fit enough to start as a dirt newbie. Since I don't have a car I have to ride to the trail head. I'm guesstimating it to be around at least an hour forty minutes. The question is what width of tyre F/R and which tyre(s) would be a good starter? Would foldable dirt tyre be a good choice since it's such a lot of road to cover before the actual event, to save tread, I could change from road to dirt tyres at the trail head. If there are any Hong Kong monkeys as well I'd appreciate your input. Routes I'm thinking of will be in Sai Kung and/or Clearwater Bay areas. A bit TIA.

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
Tire choice is really going to be dictated by the terrain and conditions. I think because of the mileage on the street and the fact that you are still learning off-road skills, for training puposes go with wire because they are cheaper since wear on the street may be an issue. Then for racing or otherwise important rides have a set of the lighter foldables in a racing compound...unless money isn't an issue. I ride a lot on the street and if I take care not to skid or tear the nobbies off from a stop sign, all of the tires I have used last quite a while really.