Quantcast

Tyres for AM/XC

Ibanezzz72

Chimp
Nov 16, 2020
Hi all,

I'm considering buying Maxxis DHF and DHR2 with EXO in 2.3" width on 27.5" wheels. These have a weight of around 800g.

Yes, i know lighter tyres are better for climbing, going faster, generally XC. But I would also like a bit more all-round tyre that can handle some more rockier and rootier terrain on the downhills, and that can last a bit longer than lightweight XC tyres.

Would these lighter versions of DHF and DHR2 be good for this type of riding?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that's a similar setup to what I use. DHF front, exo Advantage EXO rear. the advantage is an older discontinued tire however.

if you are heavier or ride hard i'd recommend EXO+ over EXO for the rear tire.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
There are such a huge range of tires available, and what works for one may not work for another. It depends greatly on a number of factors such as...

...What your trails are and how you ride and how big you are.

Are you on baked hardpack, packed forest trails, kitty litter, loam, a lot of rock, a lot of roots? Are your trails earn your turn, steep, rolling terrain or basically flat? Are they predominantly fast or slow? What kind of bike - What is your travel and what width are your rims? What is your weight? What is your skill level? Are you aggressive or sedate? Do you like to put up big miles or are you more about sessioning? Do you corner hard, or more moderate lean angles? Do you like a locked in feeling or are your fine with a bit of drift etc etc.

Fore example, my local terrain is basically flat to very gently rolling flood plain interspaced with ravine systems. Primarily forested with the ground a sandy clay usually covered by pine needles or broadleaves spring and fall. Not a lot of rock, but quite rooty. Most people run an XC focused trail tire, ie Ardent, Rekon etc. My crew are basically a bunch of aging downhillers, and we tend to slash corners, session, and hit anything that could be considered the least bit of fun. Gnarly is good. Because of this we tend to run trail versions of DH tires in the lighter Exo, Exo+ and some rear DD casings.

My trailbike is 150/135 and I"m about 200lbs. Due to my trails being pretty tight and slow overall, I can get away with a lighter casing than I can than if I'm in a faster rockier environment. I currently run EXO+ 2.4 DHR2 Front, 2.4 Dissector Rear.

I tend to weigh 145-150 pounds, ride an aluminum Intense Tracer with a MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER II in the back and a Continental Trail King in the front. I do a lot of stuff on sharp quartzite rocks and roots on downhill that's fast (for me), and the tires serve just fine.

Ibanezzz72

Chimp
Nov 16, 2020
So the trails are mostly packed forest trails in the summer, but in the fall or winter it has a lot of fallen leafs, can be quite slippery wet mud. And on the way to the trails I will ride on normal roads (This part only matters for the durability of the tyre, I'm not really looking for performance and speed on the roads, it's just a way to get me to the forest)

So generally, I would ride 40-50km rides, which would be 50-50 uphill and downhill. Basically, I would like a little bit heavier duty XC tyre so I can count that it will last a bit longer and give me more safety than lighter weight and smaller knob tyres. I weigh ~70kg, ride a 100mm hardtail and I'm not that aggressive

Ibanezzz72

Chimp
Nov 16, 2020
But my main concerne actually was the climbing part of the deal. Thats why I was considering lighter versions of the DHF and DHR2, so they are more in the realm of XC tyres in terms of weight, since thats mostly what I will ride.

Do these tyres make sense for this type of riding, or should I get something with smaller knobs?

But my main concerne actually was the climbing part of the deal. Thats why I was considering lighter versions of the DHF and DHR2, so they are more in the realm of XC tyres in terms of weight, since thats mostly what I will ride.

Do these tyres make sense for this type of riding, or should I get something with smaller knobs?
It's all opinion, everyone has their own magic formula.. Try anything, use it for the life of the tire(s), and adjust as you prefer for the next set.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I run an EXO DHF on the front of my hardtail with a 2.6" Bontrager SE4 on the back. Basically a more aggressive tread with a lighter casing up front and a less aggressive tread but more durable casing out back.

All the rocks around here are nicely rounded and imported from Canada.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Currently running DHR II's 2.4 EXO+ front & rear. Going to give some Michelin Wild Enduros a try. Personally preferred Michelins over Maxxis on my DH bike throughout the years.

Ibanezzz72

Chimp
Nov 16, 2020
What would you say is the minimun Rim Width for a 27.5" 2.3 DHF(R2) tyre?

I have non tubeless ready 21mm inner width rims. I'm in doubt if they are worth converting to tubeless, and if it can fit 2.3" width tyres correctly?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What would you say is the minimun Rim Width for a 27.5" 2.3 DHF(R2) tyre?

I have non tubeless ready 21mm inner width rims. I'm in doubt if they are worth converting to tubeless, and if it can fit 2.3" width tyres correctly?
A 2.3" tyre will work fine on a 21mm inner rim. Marketing hype will suggest that you'll die in a fireball, but given that was considered "wide" a decade ago and most of us survived fine I'm sure you will too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A 2.3" tyre will work fine on a 21mm inner rim. Marketing hype will suggest that you'll die in a fireball, but given that was considered "wide" a decade ago and most of us survived fine I'm sure you will too.
That used to pretty much be my standard setup for a front wheel. The only drawback being I couldn't run super low pressure or things would get squirmy, but the resulting pressures were still reasonable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That used to pretty much be my standard setup for a front wheel. The only drawback being I couldn't run super low pressure or things would get squirmy, but the resulting pressures were still reasonable.
My hardtail has a set of 12 year old wheels with original Arch rims, 19mm inner and I run a 2.3 on the front. Yeah it's a bit rounded but it hasn't killed me.

Weren't Deemax's about that width too? I know I used to run 2.5"' UST's on mine without killing myself too often.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I still have a set of 819's I've not been able to kill.
Currently setup with Schwalbe 2.35's with no problem.

I have never had an issue with a 2.35 on a 19mm rim. 2.5's I have peeled off in heavy corners. You will be fine on a 21mm with a Maxxis 2.3 which tend to run narrow to begin with.

Ibanezzz72

Chimp
Nov 16, 2020
Just a quick question. I'm in the process of mounting my tubeless tyres. I've done a dry fit and left them for about half hour. They still hold air pretty good. But, when I pumped them I didn't get a sound, pop or anything.

Visually the line above the bead looks good, i don't see anything that's not simmetrical or looks wrong. Are these tyres then sealed properly even though I didn't have the famous pop sound?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't always get a pop. But if you are still concerned just deflate the tire, if all is good the bead should stay tight and in place.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Inflate to 40-50 psi.
Bounce on the garage floor a half dozen times.
If something is - not - quite seated, this will usually do the trick.
Like you mentioned and others said, you don't always get a pop and if the bead line looks good -- give er.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pro-tip: if you keep pumping, you'll for sure get a pop eventually.

I suggest live streaming it on youtubez before trying it now.