Quantcast

U brake mounts vs. shimano direct brake mounts

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Can anyone tell me if these mounts are the same or similar? I'm talking a dia-compe 990 or under-chainstay mounted brake, or the new road standard.

U brake:

Direct mount:

I'll clarify that I understand one is on a BMX and the other is on a road bike, as well as that one has studs while the other recessed holes. I'll also state that I believe I can run the direct mount brake on the older standard, but for my own curiousity I'm trying to figure out if anybody has any sort of documentation or history that suggests shimano simply repurposed the standard for their new brake setup. I can't find anything out there indicating for or against.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm pretty certain the under chainstay mounted bmx brakes are the same as a standard BMX brake.

i think the width spacing between the holes is different, but more importantly i think uses different bolts.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I understand one is on a BMX and the other is on a road bike, as well as that one has studs while the other recessed holes.
Can't really help except to say they both have recessed holes, it's just that u-brakes have threaded studs for those holes. The thread size/pitch may be different, as these things go, and in any case, I'm nearly certain the spacing is very different regardless.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Pivot plate.jpg

Work excellent. $8 The studs lock them down.

For these.
u-brake_001.jpg

Get a set of these if you can pull it off. Jim

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Brakes came in and it looks like the location is identical. Threading is different but I think I can fix that. Spacing and pivot spot is right on.