Quantcast

U-brake use question

stefifly

Chimp
Jun 19, 2007
I want to get a new mountainbike, mainly for dirt and some light dh (light dh path all the way to the bottom of the hill to get to the dirt jumps where I go).
One of my strongest frame options is the Nemesis DeathMobile, 24", but I saw that it can only have u-brake... Do you think that these kind of brakes will hold on for the smooth dh part? I'm planning on getting a REALLY good bmx brake...
thanks!
P.S. if you were going to tell me to get the Nemesis Secret Agent frame which can have disc brakes, don't bother, because I don't like the dropouts on that frame.

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I thought the deathmobile was v-brake? Otherwise there's always a fall guy that'd allow you to run a v-brake(I personally like those over u-brakes).

And I have a secret agent... if you are judging the whole bike based on how the drop-outs look to you, well, you're missing out on something.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
death mobile uses a v brake out back not a u brake... much better in my opinion. also the new ones i think will be available with 135 spacing and disc tabs...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, both the DM and the Tonic are V-brake. I hate u-brakes with a passion, I've never gotten them to work right without squeaking a ton, and I can DIAL in V-brakes.

Why the hell would the DM have 135/disc spacing? That's what the Secret Agent is for.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
in the bmx world, 990s (u-brakes) are the standard on street/ramp/flatland/etc bikes.

you'll find v-brakes only on bmx race frames.

to me, 990's lock up more solidly for tailtaps and other tricks. v-brakes feel spongy. they both will stop great when dialed in, but it's a matter of preference. also if you ever want to run a gyro/oryg, 990s are the way to go.

that's one reason i would pick a USB Molly Maguire for a 24".

discs seem like a horrible idea if you're going to do any kind of grinds or ramp riding where you will hit the disc on the coping.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I like u-brakes the best. they are easier to set up than most people think. a decent brake with quality pads creates awesome modulation and lock-up ability. IMO...

redclover

Chimp
Feb 13, 2007
A diatech hombre, demolition, fly, or revenge brake with kool stop pads and an odyssey slic cable couple with the lever of your choice are all you need..

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i was talking more about the issue of u-brake versus v-brakes, if that was your only choice. if you're going to be general mtb and downhill then disc brakes are the way to go. with discs, it doesn't matter if your rims get wet or super muddy--mud also doesn't clog up around the brake arm area.